The Scale Lies!

hablondi
hablondi Posts: 127 Member
I was so discouraged yesterday and today to see a 3 pound gain over the last week. I decided to get out the tape measure to see if my measurements had also gone up. Imagine my surprise to find that I am actually down 1.5 inches over the last 10 days!

If you haven't already started measuring, get that tape out now!

Replies

• Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Start measuring yourself rather than weighing. Seriously, do your self a favor and buy that ribbon w/the numbers on it.
  • tiffnkailey
    tiffnkailey Posts: 150 Member
    How long should you wait before you do your first measurement after you started? I mean how long does it usually take for you to start losing inches?
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    How long should you wait before you do your first measurement after you started? I mean how long does it usually take for you to start losing inches?

That depends on you. How much work are you willing to put in, eating right and possible working out.
    You can lose w/out working out, but why would you wanna do that?
    I say measure from day 1
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member

Take your first measurements ASAP if you've already been on this journey awhile.
    Then once a month or every other month thereafter (I do it every other month).
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    I was so discouraged yesterday and today to see a 3 pound gain over the last week. I decided to get out the tape measure to see if my measurements had also gone up. Imagine my surprise to find that I am actually down 1.5 inches over the last 10 days!

If you haven't already started measuring, get that tape out now!

Scales do not lie; they just don't tell the entire picture. :wink:
  • TX_Aggie_Dad
    TX_Aggie_Dad Posts: 173

I measure weekly. I was in the same boat this week. After a not so great weekend nutritionally, I hopped on the scale to a 3lb gain. Measured and my waist was down a half inch. Your body is mostly water so you have realized that fluctuations in water can throw of the scale number considerably.

Start measuring now.
  • Just started measuring this week, for that exact reason.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    I just bought a measuring tape the other day for the exact same reason! I am planning to measure in the morning and then check in a week or two.
  • FindingMyself24
    FindingMyself24 Posts: 613 Member
    Awesome!!
  • raaiindrops
    raaiindrops Posts: 134
    Thank you, Your post is motivating, Recently i gained weight and was kinda sad about same, let me try what you have done,

Cheers
    :smile:
  • pxt157
    pxt157 Posts: 2
    I just joined today....do you guys recommend only measuring or doing both?
  • tiffnkailey
    tiffnkailey Posts: 150 Member
    My body gospel program came with a measuring tape. :) I will remeasure in 27 days.
  • hablondi
    hablondi Posts: 127 Member
    I also highly recommend taking photos. I have an awesome app on my phone called Body Shot. It allows me to take pics and add my measurements to the entry. I can then scroll through and place the pics side by side to compare the difference. I have been taking pics in a bathing suit I used to wear when I was in my best shape. Seeing the difference documented is a great motivator, as well.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!