Your embarrassing fat shame moment

Options
2»

Replies

• LoneMisfit
    LoneMisfit Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Walk of shame after getting on a roller coaster and the safety bar could not get into place. Very embarrassing.
  • Talkradio
    Talkradio Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    When I was 10, we were visiting my mom's family that I hadn't seen since I was a baby. I made the mistake of telling my cousin, who is 6 years older than me, that I liked the Ben & Jerry's flavor Chunky Monkey. For the rest of the trip, every time I was around him he would sing (to the tune of the Beastie Boys song Brass Monkey) "fat monkey, that chunky monkey".

He's a nice guy now, but I still really hate that song.
  • palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    Last year someone posted a candid shot on Facebook of me sitting on the bleachers watching my daughter's softball game. It was summer in Alabama, and I was wearing gym shorts and a tank top. I was probably about 220lbs at the time. I didn't recognize myself.

I wonder how many people have been motivated to lose weight because of Facebook pictures....
  • yaryrosa
    yaryrosa Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I once posted several pictures of my daughter's first birthday. In one of the pictures I'm holding her up on an awkward position that made my belly look HUGE. A friend from high school started congratulating me on the news, saying she didn't know there was another one on its way.

I deleted the comment without ever replying. She must have eventually figured out her mistake.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    I was the jaw-droppingly fat kid in school before it was normal for there to be a few of them in every school. By 4th grade I was in a bra, while the other girls were still in undershirts, and it was apparently a good reason to tease me. We also had communal gym showers in 4th and 5th grade, so that caught me even more hell. I was getting pregnant jokes in middle school, people shouting "boom" with every step I took in the hallways, more rhyming insult names than I can remember, essentially considered less than human. Someone kicked in a bathroom stall door on me, I ended up with a black eye, they didn't see why they should be in trouble for it, "it should've just bounced off." Tripped in gym class, prepare for at least a week of earthquake jokes. If my plus sized versions of whatever was in fashion that year had a label, that label would be the punchline of catty mean girl jokes for months. Had one of the star football players try to put a garbage bag over my head and tell me I should just die and get it over with (for some reason that got me a reserved seat on the bus instead of him, I guess state championships overrule assault, I'll admit I did unashamedly laugh when he blew his knee out that year). There were other guys who thought it was ok to push, grab, or throw things at me for entertainment, in one case flat out hit me, at least THAT one got suspended. He's also the only one who ever came up to me after high school to apologize, and he was sincere about it.

It didn't help that I was also the tallest kid in the class from around 3rd grade on until the guys finally got around to going through puberty, and even then, most of them were pretty short, still. There's really nowhere to hide when you can see completely over the heads of everyone around you, including some of the teachers.

My entire public school career could be listed as a "fat shame moment," though I prefer to think of it as a very candid look into human nature. A lot of the things that happened to me wouldn't fly anymore, because of the zero tolerance policies and anti-bullying programs, but a lot of it still does. I wonder how many of the kids who do it today are being raised by the ones who did it in the 80's.
  • Soggynode
    Soggynode Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Far too many to list but the turning point was at my 7 yo daughter's soccer practice. At the end of one practice they had the parents come out on the pitch for a parents vs kids match. There was no way to avoid it. One of the parents took some video and posted it on FB. There I was, lumbering along with that awkward fat guy run, moobs and everything else jiggling about. I couldn't believe that was me. I've never been so ashamed of anything in my life.
  • WednesdayJanuary07th2015
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I honestly don't consider, the moments described by most of the above posters to be; embarrassing moments. It seems to me, that they were; life saving moments. I as a child, had an enlarged liver; which made me look pregnant. It helped me to not be ashamed of myself, when I am overweight because I couldn't do anything about shrinking that. It shrank but as my health declined (I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome), it was replaced with fat. I am not an image conscious person because I've always been aware, that if people heavier than me, can get married/have children & a career, I can too & that's all I ever wanted to have; in life. However improving my health, so that my body can be the best vessel as possible; for any future children that I might birth/is the 1st reason why I'm here & the 2nd, is so that I can be more physically involved with them; than I'd be able to with more weight attached to me.
  • shemama1
    shemama1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    A few years ago, I told some co-workers I was going to be out for 6-8 weeks because I was having surgery. One looked at me and said "you are having gastric bypass?" Nope, that wasn't it.

Seeing pictures of myself makes me sick! If I see someone tagged me on FB in a non approved by me pic, I untag myself and ask them to delete it.
  • Nottafattie
    Nottafattie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Mine was a series of small things that added up. First is that I had twins. I was a buck ten soaking wet when I got pregnant with them and nearly 200 lbs by the time I had them and it was all in front. I lost the pregnancy weight, but now when I'm bloated or something, the muscles in my stomach are so stretched that they do not hold. I instantly look 7 months pregnant. That was before I gained weight. When I did start gaining weight, it went there first (then everywhere else). Second, I'm married to a soldier and there's a running joke that every soldier gets a BMW (Big military wife). When I started to gain weight, the hubby joked that he was just getting his BMW. He meant to reassure me, but I took it as a personal challenge. Third was that I have two little sisters. After giving birth to three kids in one year, I was still the skinny one. Then I turned my sister on to MFP. She lost 40 lbs and I gained. The other sister suddenly dropped a bunch of weight too. Now, they pass their fat clothes to me and I've had to give my skinny stuff to them. Fourth was a lady in church asking when I was finally going to have that baby. The hubby and I have six kids together (brady bunch thing) and we got fixed before we met. The youngest are 11. So I tell her, "No baby. I'm just fat." She asks me dubiously, "So there's really nothing in there?" "No, just fat." The choir director walked up at that point and almost lost it. She just turned quickly and went the other direction. Lastly, my momma is a big woman. At a family event, I spilled something on my pants and she offered me a pair of hers. I love my momma dearly and I look almost exactly like her, but I don't want end up with the same health problems. the same weight problems, the same denial problems. So here I am.
  • palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    I was the jaw-droppingly fat kid in school before it was normal for there to be a few of them in every school. By 4th grade I was in a bra, while the other girls were still in undershirts, and it was apparently a good reason to tease me. We also had communal gym showers in 4th and 5th grade, so that caught me even more hell. I was getting pregnant jokes in middle school, people shouting "boom" with every step I took in the hallways, more rhyming insult names than I can remember, essentially considered less than human. Someone kicked in a bathroom stall door on me, I ended up with a black eye, they didn't see why they should be in trouble for it, "it should've just bounced off." Tripped in gym class, prepare for at least a week of earthquake jokes. If my plus sized versions of whatever was in fashion that year had a label, that label would be the punchline of catty mean girl jokes for months. Had one of the star football players try to put a garbage bag over my head and tell me I should just die and get it over with (for some reason that got me a reserved seat on the bus instead of him, I guess state championships overrule assault, I'll admit I did unashamedly laugh when he blew his knee out that year). There were other guys who thought it was ok to push, grab, or throw things at me for entertainment, in one case flat out hit me, at least THAT one got suspended. He's also the only one who ever came up to me after high school to apologize, and he was sincere about it.

It didn't help that I was also the tallest kid in the class from around 3rd grade on until the guys finally got around to going through puberty, and even then, most of them were pretty short, still. There's really nowhere to hide when you can see completely over the heads of everyone around you, including some of the teachers.

My entire public school career could be listed as a "fat shame moment," though I prefer to think of it as a very candid look into human nature. A lot of the things that happened to me wouldn't fly anymore, because of the zero tolerance policies and anti-bullying programs, but a lot of it still does. I wonder how many of the kids who do it today are being raised by the ones who did it in the 80's.

Your story is horrible, and I am so sorry you had to go through this. Not right, not fair at all.
  • Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I've had so many moments. Many of them dealt with being the only overweight girl in my dance class and having to wear the skin-tight costumes. I remember one year a girl complained because she wanted us to wear two-piece suits that showed your stomach but couldn't because of me.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    A few years back, my then boyfriend made reservations at an outdoor restaurant for us (basically a lush garden and water fountains and a pool, with tables here and there). It was a surprise to congratulate me for winning a tournament in a game. So we went there, and the chairs were these patio chair type of thing, something that looked like this:

antique-wrought-iron-chair.jpg

My attempt to sit in it was hilarious! Trying to squeeze my butt to fit. It didn't. We ended up moving to the indoor section, where they use large booth chairs.
  • BananableLector
    BananableLector Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My moment, or should I say moments, are what have my back here and determined to lose the weight this time. First (and should have been only) was a few years ago trying to ride a crazy loop ride that required a harness that comes down around your body, couldn't push it down enough to click in the lock, the operator just needed to reset it but damage had been done and I took the walk of shame off the ride in order to save what little pride I had. Next was attending my brother's wedding as a bridemaid and being the only to have to buy a different style dress because it didn't go up to my size (and yet the dress I did get showed ugly back fat) . Third was ALMOST having to request a seat belt extended on a plane this January.

NEVER AGAIN!!!!!
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I've had many, including being bullied at work and having my boss tell me I was bringing it on myself. I mean, of course it's my fault if I had to bend over to get something and my co-worker pretended to kick me while another cheered her on, right? I had to leave that job because she also constantly made comments about me taking up too much room and how much she hated fat people. I wasn't the only person she bullied, and upper management knew it, but for some reason, they wouldn't fire her.

My final moment came this time around for logging. I had already started just before the new year (I don't like making weight loss a resolution). I was buying different foods for me to have for most of my meals and doing my portions and really making an effort when my oldest daughter (20) got mad at me for something stupid and started in on how I was a failure who always cheated on any diet I tried. I would never lose the weight and why should she have to suffer not having the foods I was cooking for me...(there was and is plenty of good food in this house the kids can eat). That was my last straw for getting and staying serious as well as the last straw with her living here - many other problems there. If my own child was going to be bullying me, it was time to stick to it. I'm still doing it for me, but every time I think about her cruel words, it's more motivation.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Walked in the door at a relative's house for Thanksgiving one year and was asked when the baby was due. Not pregnant of course and both of us were very embarrased as I said I wasn't. I weighed more than I did when I was pregnant though. Great way to keep from overeating on Thanksgiving though as I just wanted to get out of there and cry.

Mil gave me a pretty necklace and earring set once. The necklace would not fit my fat neck.