Weird food combos-what's yours?

Options
i went to Walmart, and they were out of my plain Greek yogurt(I refuse to spend 7 bucks for fage, when off brand is 3, and less calories lol). So I got cottage cheese, and mixed it with a spoon of granola, and some fruit and almonds, like I normally do with the yogurt. Though not as good, it was pretty dang tasty!

This got me thinking of the "odd combos" I do to keep calories lower, increase protein, etc.

People balk at the fact I use deans onion dip to make tuna salad (a serving of the dip is 30 calories, and full fat mayo is at least 100!). But it's YUMMY!

I also consider a couple ounces of chicken, mixed with a few chipped almonds, and some balsamic vinaigrette a great "chicken salad".

Or the time an ounce of cheese, some whole wheat ritz, and a spoonful of peanut butter was a good couple hundred calorie snack. And yes, I made peanut butter cheese crackers. I was at my moms, made do with her staples. I thought she would barf. But it was good lol!

Looking at your diary entries can be funny sometimes! What's your weird combos that you use to hit/stay in your macros, or you just plain out like, (healthy or not?)

Replies

• maddyk91
    maddyk91 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I dont do it for the calories/macros, but Mac and Cheese with Applesauce on top is literally the best thing ever. No one believes me, but if you like those two foods, put them together! Seriously. All you need is a dollop of applesauce on top. (I personally dont prefer it mixed in, just on top--that added sweetness is just HNNNGGGG)
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Omg, I'll have to try it haha
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    My best friend loves a scoop of peanut butter in her beef stew.
  • hollyrayburn
    Options
    My best friend loves a scoop of peanut butter in her beef stew.

I adore a peanut butter sandwich with chili. Forget grilled cheese!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Lol I don't think I do anything too weird but I am a mixer. I mix everything on my plate and eat it together. My boyfriend thinks I'm weird sometimes.
  • RosieWest8
    RosieWest8 Posts: 185 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm glad you mentioned peanut butter sandwiches with chili!! I have done this since I was a kid and I went to grad school with a girl from Texas. We were in Indiana at a chili cook off and one of the booths had little PB sandwiches, I got so excited and she just got so confused. I like to eat maple syrup on bacon/sausage/goetta. Which isn't that weird but I recently started using jelly/jam on goetta - which my family reacted significantly too even though I've tried to explain that it's not any different than using maple syrup but for some reason it's weird to them...
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    My son eats pizza with capers, anchovies and pineapple.
  • hollyrayburn
    Options
    RosieWest8 wrote: »
    I'm glad you mentioned peanut butter sandwiches with chili!! I have done this since I was a kid and I went to grad school with a girl from Texas. We were in Indiana at a chili cook off and one of the booths had little PB sandwiches, I got so excited and she just got so confused. I like to eat maple syrup on bacon/sausage/goetta. Which isn't that weird but I recently started using jelly/jam on goetta - which my family reacted significantly too even though I've tried to explain that it's not any different than using maple syrup but for some reason it's weird to them...

What is goetta?
    My son eats pizza with capers, anchovies and pineapple.

I love capers!!! I put them on pan seared tilapia, mmmm. Gonna have to try it on pizza now :)
  • kelseymallen
    kelseymallen Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Zesty garlic pickles with orange juice.
  • ArvinSloane
    ArvinSloane Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I had leftovers to use up last night so I sliced up leftover sirloin steak, stirred it up with some leftover jasmine rice plus garlic hummus, sriracha, and plenty of smoked paprika. Wilted some spinach and cooked up a quick fried egg to put on top...it was AWESOME.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I love this type of thread. We'll see some great combos I'm sure! My Uncle Lathan ate Fritos in milk with a spoon and my mother-in-law dipped cold hot dogs in sugar.

My most recent weird combo was based on avocado/peanut sushi rolls: I sliced half an avocado then sprinkled PB2 on top, followed by a couple drops of soy sauce on each piece and topped it with sliced, pickled ginger. Yummy!

55835802.png
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Baked beans with a poached egg and cottage cheese. Was my go to breakfast for a long time :blush:
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I like a little dab of jelly or jam in my egg whites, something about the sweetness early in the morning breakfast....nummy! No I don't put it on the whole eggs cuz that would ruin the yolk! And lately been eating a teaspoon of pure unadulterated sugar on my pancakes cuz everything else just tastes so lame lately.
  • cindywhoville
    Options
    I am not a mixer - foods on a plate must not touch each other! My dad used to have onion sandwiches with thick slices of onion and mayo. I guess that's not too weird. lol
  • Takes2long
    Takes2long Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    LOL…scrambled egg sandwich on toast with dill pickles. Mac-N-Cheese and put in cut up hot dogs. Yummy! Has to be boxed M&C, with the powder cheese. I know, I know…but it's oh so good! (I don't use ALL the butter, so it's OK :p )
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Sweet n sour gherkins dipped in peanut butter :#
  • MissyMissy18
    MissyMissy18 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Needing some extra protein the other day, I spread some peanut butter on pieces of Trader Joe's Turkey Jerky and topped with sharp cheddar. OH. MY. GOD. *drooling*
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter pickle sammiches must be dill pickles not sweet ...YUM
  • ArvinSloane
    ArvinSloane Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Needing some extra protein the other day, I spread some peanut butter on pieces of Trader Joe's Turkey Jerky and topped with sharp cheddar. OH. MY. GOD. *drooling*

Oh my God I need this in my mouth right now.

• AshC1023
    AshC1023 Posts: 109
    Options
    i went to Walmart, and they were out of my plain Greek yogurt(I refuse to spend 7 bucks for fage, when off brand is 3, and less calories lol). So I got cottage cheese, and mixed it with a spoon of granola, and some fruit and almonds, like I normally do with the yogurt. Though not as good, it was pretty dang tasty!
    Yogurt is so over-priced. Have you considered making it? It is time consuming (lots of sitting time, but no work at all and you don't have to babysit it!). I do it in my crock pot, but you don't have to have a crock pot either. My kids and I love yogurt so one of the big tubs of Chobani or Fage lasts like, a day.

Basically, it comes down to making 24 of those single serving cups out of about $4 ($3/gal milk and maybe $0.75-1 on the single serving cup of plain Greek yogurt to start it) of material. So 6/$1 - can't beat that price.

If anyone is interested I have some good links on a step by step on how to do this. I add frozen fruit to mine and a tsp of honey - it's amazingly good.