Feeling like I haven't done enough, when I'm sure I have

Options
gerryleanne92
gerryleanne92 Posts: 12 Member
edited February 2015 in Motivation and Support
Hello!
I'm having a little bit of a problem with always feeling guilty when I'm not working out. I can't help but feel bad and that I haven't done enough, when I'm relatively sure I *have* done enough.

I'm no stranger to being active, but it's only recently that I've taken a serious interest in my fitness and working out. As of the first week of January, I've been sticking to daily routines and workout calendars, pushing myself and really enjoying it. I spend most of the time I'm not working out thinking about it and looking forward to it, but I also can't shake this horrible niggling feeling that I'm not doing enough, that I should be working out NOW, and that I should and could be achieving more than I already am.

My morning routine, every day, is this:
1 minute plank, 15 press ups, 20 crunches, 10 double leg lifts, 25 criss cross crunches, 50 pointed butt lifts (each side) and 20 squats.
I do this routine 3 times over on weekend mornings, 2 times over on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, and just the once on Tuesday's and Thursday's.

Then one I'm home from work, later in the day, I complete the day of my Blogilates workout calendar - Which is usually around an hour of tough pilates, with each day having a different focus. I'm always sore the next morning from what I've workout out, and the routines are proving really effective.

Then alongside both of these (when the itch and guilt sets in), I'll put on some music and take to my mat and do other things in the evening. A couple of sets of 100 criss cross crunches, a couple of sets of 50+ torso twists with a 3kg medicine ball, 50-100 squats, and whatever else I feel like doing to try and chase that aching burn.

But why do I constantly feel disheartened, that I'm not doing enough? I'm sat here typing this now feeling guilty that I should be workout out instead...

Am I really not doing enough? Should I be doing more than the above as a beginner who started a month ago? If I feel like I'm not doing enough does that definitely mean I'm not? Or am I just obsessing and need to calm down?

Help! xo

Replies

• Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I'd say that you are thinking a little too deeply into this, you seem t be doing plenty (if not perhaps pushing yourself a little 'too' hard).
    Doing what you are doing, coupled with consuming the right nutrients will be absolutely fine. Just be sure to give yourself enough rest between intense exercise sessions.

Great work with keeping up the fantastic motivation!!

All the best with your goals,

Adam
  • ScalySquash50
    Options
    I think the thing to be concerned about is more how your feeling about working out, rather than the amount. You shouldn't feel guilty for not working out all the time. That definitely sounds like your treading into obsessive behaviour. Fitness is definitely a great thing to have in your life, but it should be just one part of it.

Try to stay aware of why your working out, what are the goals you are working toward, that sort of thing.
  • apple173
    apple173 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    It looks like you're doing plenty. If youre eating well too, I would you're good. And I am an extreme hypocrite for saying, make sure you also have a good rest period.

I'm guilty of not resting. I am doing something everyday. I love working out but my body also needs a good rest so I am trying to have a rest day. Today was that day. I ended almost running my walk.

I will need to take my own advice and rest.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I've struggled with compulsive exercise in the past.

The thing that helps me, above all, is to follow someone else's plan training for a specific event. I figure they know better than me, so if they say, "Yes, you need a rest day on Fridays," then I'm doing the right thing to take a rest day on Fridays.

I give in to the demons sometimes--and right now I'm injured, so things are going a little crazy--but it is so, so, SO much better when I can emotionally fall back on the plan. It also gives me a purpose for working out besides "not getting fat," which helps keep me out of the compulsive mindset.

I'll also note that the more I work out, the more weight I tend to gain (unless I am very, VERY careful). There comes a point where I go on autopilot and have been surprised to find myself in front of the fridge in the middle of the night, halfway through a bowl of whatever leftovers before I realize what I'm doing.