Polar watch or Fitbit?

Options
I work out about 2-3 times a week and want to accurately measure my calories I'm burning. I also need a watch that I can use for work since I'm a nurse it's really important (preferably with seconds as well). Anyone have any recommendations on what to get?

Replies

• chamahbau
    chamahbau Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 that I'm using right now. I only use it when I work out because there's a heart rate monitor that you have to strap to your chest to get calories burned. It's also water proof. I'm looking at getting the Fitbit flex to do all day tracking. This one won't tell you the time but is waterproof, will tell how many calories burned, steps taken, sleep cycle and other things. Does not require a chest strap to count calories.
  • scaryg53
    scaryg53 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I'm looking at few different brands right now, I was leaning towards jawbone but now I'm leaning towards Microsoft
  • Bookaholic88
    Bookaholic88 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I love my polar ft7 for tracking my calorie burns. I understand that the chest strap gives a more accurate report of calories burned than other products that you just wear on teh wrist.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    My Fitbit displays the time.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Polar M400 is a multisportswatch and activity tracker. It got superb reviews. Check out DCrainmaker for his reviews. For workouts I do not consider anything without a heart rate strap accurate enough.
    Stef.
  • PurpleYFronts
    PurpleYFronts Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I would go for the Fitbit if youre looking calories, steps etc and can add the HR monitor if you like. Also, you plan on doing outdoor running you can go for something like the Surge https://www.fitbit.com/uk/surge
    I use a Timex Run Trainer 2.0 and a Fitbit, though it would be nice to have everything in one.
  • navyjen
    navyjen Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I like the accuracy of my ft4 to calculate my burns for my workouts. However, I am considering a fit bit for everything else. I read some reviews stating the new fitbit isnt as accurate with measuring calorie burns.
  • Notreadytoquit
    Notreadytoquit Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Which one gives you calories, easy & accurate heart rate, steps, distance, day, date, time, stopwatch for workouts and STYLE? It sure isn't my beloved hand-me-down sync burn polar which has a whacky strap that I currently hold together with tape.

Any advice on a fashionable watch that I can wear 24/7? Thanks.
  • pdavie92
    pdavie92 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Depends what your budget is too. I have a fitbit surge and love it. I can wear it 24\7 no messing with straps and it's got GPS. That said it's not a dedicated running or swimming watch and I'd look to plolar or garmin for that.
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit Charge HR. I find it's heart rate accuracy to be equivalent to the chest strap HRMs that I've used. I've been wearing a FitBit since Nov. 2013 and, having been without one for 10 days at the beginning of this year, can state confidently that I go nuts without it. For me, an activity tracker is an important, even essential, fitness and weight loss tool.

However, the Charge HR does not continuously display the time (you have to press the button or tap it). It can display seconds, but the display times out in about 4 seconds and then you have to push the button again.

I like the size and the look. The band fastens securely. The screen has gotten a little bit scratched (I've had it for about 6 weeks).

The FitBit Surge and all the smart watches I've seen are a lot bigger. Too big for me. I'm not sure about their features (continuous time display, seconds, etc.).
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Polar is coming out with the a300 soon. Tracker and sports watch. Is check that out.