Help/advice - stopped losing weight.

Options
hi, I started to try and lose weight last April (I weighed around 137lb and set myself a goal of 117lb). It worked to start with, as by July I weighed 125.8lb but ever since then no matter how much I work out or stick to my 1200 calories I can't lose a thing, it just always sticks around 125 -124lb, it's very frustrating.
I go to the gym around 5 times a week and play netball the other days so I can only assume it's something to do with my diet.I have made my diary public so it can be seen (I measure everything I eat to the gram!)
I was wondering if anyone have any advice on what to do? Eat less calories? Change ratios?

Thanks!

Replies

• muccica07
    muccica07 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hey girl, so I checked out your journal just briefly. I have some recommendations that I have tried. Because you sound to be active, you might want to consider actually increasing your calories. I know that sounds totally scary and counterintuitive, but your body relies on a good source of fuel in order to burn fat and gain muscle. I'm 5' about 133 lbs and am aiming for 1600 daily, and am considering increasing again to 1700 at the end of the month. The extra calories will help boost your metabolism and make cutting calories that much easier. Please do not go lower than 1200, that will definitely slow the metabolism and then you'll really be stuck! Second, my macros (the categories protein, fat, carbs etc) are set to 40% protein, 40% carb and 20% fat. Maybe take a look at yours and make sure yours are ok. If you want to take a peak at my journal you are more than welcome to! I can also share recipes and such if need be. Let me know if you need anymore help! :-)
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? Could you be at the right weight already?
  • ceasingfeline
    ceasingfeline Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Muccica - that does sound pretty scary! I also find it quite hard to know the right kind of foods and ratios to eat as my husband is the one who cooks and prepares all the meals.

Meritage - I'm 5"4 I think. In October 2013 I weighed 117 and I looked and felt great so I know I can get there, things just seem to have plateaued at the moment.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    muccica07 wrote: »
    Hey girl, so I checked out your journal just briefly. I have some recommendations that I have tried. Because you sound to be active, you might want to consider actually increasing your calories. I know that sounds totally scary and counterintuitive, but your body relies on a good source of fuel in order to burn fat and gain muscle. I'm 5' about 133 lbs and am aiming for 1600 daily, and am considering increasing again to 1700 at the end of the month. The extra calories will help boost your metabolism and make cutting calories that much easier. Please do not go lower than 1200, that will definitely slow the metabolism and then you'll really be stuck! Second, my macros (the categories protein, fat, carbs etc) are set to 40% protein, 40% carb and 20% fat. Maybe take a look at yours and make sure yours are ok. If you want to take a peak at my journal you are more than welcome to! I can also share recipes and such if need be. Let me know if you need anymore help! :-)

So much bro-science my eyes hurt

Read calorie counting 101
  • ceasingfeline
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Why exactly do you mean 'bro-science'?

Also how does calorie counting 101 apply to my situation?

Thanks!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Thanks!

Bro-science means rubbish that people say because they've read a tabloid article, heard it in the gym, been told it ...no basis in fact or scientific rigour behind the theories...anecdotal, snake oil

You lose weight in the kitchen. The first post in calorie counting 101 http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1
  • ceasingfeline
    Options

Thanks!

Bro-science means rubbish that people say because they've read a tabloid article, heard it in the gym, been told it ...no basis in fact or scientific rigour behind the theories...anecdotal, snake oil

You lose weight in the kitchen. The first post in calorie counting 101 http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1

The food I eat is all measured to the gram! I am being 100% honest about that. If I am having 12 grams of cashews I measure it on the scales, if I am having 5 grams of Mayo I measure it on the scales, if I am having half an onion medium onion (which is equal to 55 grams in calories) in a recipe I measure 55 grams on the scale. So I follow the advice in that thread...
  • ceasingfeline
    edited February 2015
    Options
    As I'm logging everything I eat correctly (the batteries on my food scales are constantly running out!) and exercising a lot, I can only assume 1200 cal a day is to much for me to lose weight now. I have changed to 1100 cal per day and changed the ratios to more protein and less carb (I've updated my food diary to reflect this). Hopefully this will help!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You're already at a healthy weight for your height. What are you doing at the gym?
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    How many calories do you burn though exercise? You aren't logging it so you could be burning 500 calories and only netting 700 calories.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    You could try increasing your protein and strength training, to preserve your lbm. Otherwise, you risk losing it and being left with a higher bf% at the end.
  • MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    OP, If you were truly at a deficit you would be losing weight period. Calories in VS Calories out. Something is wrong in the kitchen. Simple!
  • happygalah
    happygalah Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    What are you drinking each day? tea, coffee, juice, soda, water?
  • ceasingfeline
    Options
    Liftng- I mainly do cardio at the gym, 45 minutes and then a 10 minute core workout. I also attend two Les Mills classes - Body Combat and Body Attack which is an hour each. I also play netball at least once a week, twice if there's a game.

Debrag - I have no idea how many calories I'm burning when I'm doing a class or playing netball as MFP seems to vastly overexaggerate the calories burnt and I don't have a heart rate monitor or equipment to check it. I burn on average 400 calories in a 45 minute cardio workout.

Moosie - I would love to start strength training but I have no idea where to start although I will try to speak to the instructors at my gym. I just worry that I will put more weight on as my body adjusts to the change in my workout routine.

Happygalah - I drink a cup of fruit tea every day, either sweet rhubarb or spiced apple from the Taylor's of Harrogate range or blueberry and acai from the Dr Stuart range. I then will have water through the day but probably no more than a litre a day. I know I could do with increasing my water intake.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Start lifting, as you're already at an ideal weight.
  • holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 306 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I agree that you should start lifting. 117 might be too hard to maintain for you, since it's pretty low. However, you could LOOK like you weigh 117 lbs and have the same measurements you did back then by replacing some of that fat with muscle.
  • ceasingfeline
    Options
    I'm the only person I know that cuts my calories and puts on a pound! Is this normal!?
  • wick3tgirl
    wick3tgirl Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I dont know if it correlates with your weight, but a litre of water a day and you're active so much?! maybe your body's retaining water? I suggest drinking at least 2 litres a day if not even more.
  • ceasingfeline
    Options
    I was 124.6 two weeks ago, 125.6 one week ago and now I'm 126.6 after cutting my calories by 100 a day. I'm trying to drink lots of water!
  • kibuuka675
    kibuuka675 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    i could have written your post. i managed to go from 207lbs to 185lbs now im back to between 188-192 lbs and it just will not budge no matter what i do its so disheartning and frustrating