Sugar intake

hi there, I am only allowed 45 g of sugar per day, if I have 2 herbal life shakes with 8 oz skim milk, I am already at 44!!!! It does not leave a lot for my third meal, any suggestions?

Replies

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    A lot of people have found that the MFP goal for sugar is very low.
    Eating a couple pieces of fruit can set them over. You can swap out tracking sugar for fiber or something else. (unless you have a medical condition and need to track sugar)
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,371 Member
    edited February 2015
    Who 'allowed' you 45gms sugar per day? Doctor? If so, ask them if that included added sugar only.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Unless you have a medical condition that you have to track sugar, I wouldn't bother switch it for something more useful.

Now, the other advice I would give you, is lose the herbal life, use the money you save to buy food.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Cher I know it takes some time to figure out but I finally got my total daily carbs under 50 grams a day. It means I can not used processed foods like herbal life. I just use protein power and water when I come up short on protein. Best of luck.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,059 Member
    You don't need to track sugar unless you are told to by a doctor or have a condition that requires you to do so.
    However, if you really are concerned, I would throw out the shakes. You can use up your sugar allotment in much better ways.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Quit drinking Herbalife. Waste of money and gimmick.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I'm usually over my sugar goal before lunch! I love fruit and milk. I don't let it bother me. 45g is preeettty low.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    I'm not sure what herbs life shakes are but is there a way to create something similar, only without the sugar? Perhaps a low sugar smoothie?
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    That seems pretty low....I am a type one diabetic and my DR set mine at 97 grams

I do agree to get rid of those terrible shakes though!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    45g is 15% of 1200 calories. Broadly in line with international thinking, but living off sugary shakes isn't part of that thinking.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Cher I know it takes some time to figure out but I finally got my total daily carbs under 50 grams a day. It means I can not used processed foods like herbal life. I just use protein power and water when I come up short on protein. Best of luck.

Carbs and sugar are not identical nutrients.... She didn't ask about carbs.
  • cher561956
    cher561956 Posts: 13 Member
    Thank you everyone for your comments. For those who asked herbal life shakes are a meal replacement, for breakfast I find them great especially for breakfast. I tried the whey protien shakes with water but was very hungry by 11 a.m. I did not realize I could switch the sugars for fibre in my fitnesspal so I will check it today and see if I can figure that out. I just assumed that since it came up as 45 g in my food diary that I needed to stay no higher for wt loss. Thanks again! I appreciate the advice
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member

Stop drinking your calories.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member

Good thing protein powder isn't highly processed. LOL
  • jcurrie17
    jcurrie17 Posts: 36 Member
    Keep in mind that 4 grams of sugar is equal to 1 tsp. So your 45 grams of sugar is just over 11 teaspoons of sugar. I find its easier to visualize sugar in terms of teaspoons. I worry less about naturally occurring sugars and look to reduce added sugar. To see how sugar affects your body and brain you could watch FED UP. Great movie that talks all about sugar and its affects.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Suggestions?
    1/ Eat real food in the appropriate quantities.
    2/ Don't track sugar unless you have some particular need to - like a medical issue.

• Alligator423
    Alligator423 Posts: 87 Member
    I don't really pay any attention to my sugar, but I just looked back on my recent food diaries and I often eat 40-50 g sugar a day. I am happy to open my diary if it would be of help.
  • cher561956
    cher561956 Posts: 13 Member
    Thankyou