bf %

Options
Hey everyone.
I am closing in on my "goal weight" and just wanted to know some thoughts on lowering bf% im probably around 19-20% at the moment (not really sure yet).
I would like to try and get to anywhere between 12-14%
My main problem is because i've been doing a low calorie intake to lose weight all the macros i look at for protein,carbs and fat just seem too high.
Im 90kg or 198Lbs
182cm tall
and aged 23.
Now on the MFP. calorie calculator i can eat 2700cals to maintain my weight That seems insanely high ? i would have thought more like 2200-2400.

Besides all that i was just wanting some tips in reducing BF% any help is appreciated.

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Only you know how many calories you have been eating to lose weight and how fast you have been losing weight - those numbers will give you the best guide to what your maintenance calories are. Why guess?

To make significant BF% difference you need to carry on with a calorie deficit and shed those extra pounds of fat.

If you are losing quickly due to "doing a low calorie intake" you will be losing more lean mass than necessary. Far easier to keep what muscle you have than lose it and have to rebuild again. Small deficit, adequate protein intake and lift heavy weights is the way to go.
  • steph40967
    steph40967 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hey,

Depending on your resting metabolic rate and the intensity of your exercise, you could be ranging anywhere between the 2200 and 3000 kcal mark. The key is to maintain by working this out and eating to meet your "outgoings" in calories. To lose bodyfat, add more lean proteins, shoot for 1g per lb of bodyweight, increase healthy fats and lower your carb intake slightly. Add more cardio at the end of your workouts and try exercises like hiit which keep your body burning cals all day.
  • Troy13691
    Troy13691 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Only you know how many calories you have been eating to lose weight and how fast you have been losing weight - those numbers will give you the best guide to what your maintenance calories are. Why guess?

To make significant BF% difference you need to carry on with a calorie deficit and shed those extra pounds of fat.

If you are losing quickly due to "doing a low calorie intake" you will be losing more lean mass than necessary. Far easier to keep what muscle you have than lose it and have to rebuild again. Small deficit, adequate protein intake and lift heavy weights is the way to go.

Thanks for the quick reply. I was thinking along this line myself with the "small deficit". As im only eating 1200cals which for me is a pretty big deficit. So much appreciated :)
  • Troy13691
    Options
    steph40967 wrote: »
    Hey,

Depending on your resting metabolic rate and the intensity of your exercise, you could be ranging anywhere between the 2200 and 3000 kcal mark. The key is to maintain by working this out and eating to meet your "outgoings" in calories. To lose bodyfat, add more lean proteins, shoot for 1g per lb of bodyweight, increase healthy fats and lower your carb intake slightly. Add more cardio at the end of your workouts and try exercises like hiit which keep your body burning cals all day.

Thanks for the quick reply :) thanks for the tip on 1g protein to lbs bodyweight. That actually helped put some calculations into better perspective for me. HIIT is a pain but is definately something i do.

Just on a rough estimate could you give me an idea on a good "ratio" between proteins carbs and fats. Just curious if im close in my own ideas

• sijomial
    edited February 2015
    Options
    steph40967 wrote: »
    Hey,

OP's food diary is private so you are basically guessing!

Your protein recommendation is most likely excessive.
    Adding protein by itself doesn't "lose bodyfat".
    You don't know his carb intake so why say lower it?
    Ditto fats.
    And EPOC from HIIT is minimal.

• steph40967
    steph40967 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the individual, what are your ratios at the moment?
  • sijomial
    Options
  • Troy13691
    Options
    Sorry didn't realise I had my diary private I swapped it now. My ratio normally look like 45% carbs 35% protein 20% not currently very strict on ibuprofen
  • Troy13691
    Options
    Haha not ibuprofen I ment not very strict on macros atm just calorie intake so trying to change
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    You are going to have to log accurately in order to figure out your maintenance calories. Weigh solids, measure liquids, no more quick add calories. All you are doing now is wild guessing.
  • Troy13691
    Options
    The quick add calories is just things I couldn't find on mfp at the time I do weigh it and account for the "accurate" count
  • Troy13691
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

That's helped information wise thanks heaps

• loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Troy13691 wrote: »
    I was thinking along this line myself with the "small deficit". As im only eating 1200cals which for me is a pretty big deficit. So much appreciated :)

1200 calories was probably an overly aggressive deficit. Hopefully your tracking was inaccurate and you were actually eating more. I think you will be able to lose 1 lbs a week on 2200. But as already said you need to experiment with this and adjust accordingly.

I suspect you will see some weight gain initially when you start eating at a more reasonable deficit. But stay the course for at least 3-4 weeks before you adjust.
  • Troy13691
    Options
    The 1200cals was designed as a means to an end. From a biggest loser diet lol it worked and now I will get off it.
    I expect to see a bit of weight return with the carbs intake double/trippling compared to current diet especially water retention. Thanks for your advice
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, how long were you on 1200 calories? And what was your activity level?
  • Troy13691
    Options
    About 5-6 weeks at a time ( have done previously in the past to shed about 30kg all up now). My activity level is lightly active by this site I guess. 12 hour shifts at work walking around a fair bit (prison officer) and moderate to heavy workouts 3-4 times a week). Does that answer your question ? If not let me know
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    All the questions about calories and macros are beside the point.

If you want to reduce your body fat percentage, you should be weight training.
  • Troy13691
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    All the questions about calories and macros are beside the point.

If you want to reduce your body fat percentage, you should be weight training.

I do a four day split of weight training with light cardio. I just want to adjust the macros to get the best results.