1200 calories too low?

Options
2»

Replies

• acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thank you everyone you have all been really helpful. I had selected to lose 2lb per week so I will adjust this. I am going to start resistance training and some light weights as it is my body fat % and shape I want to change, to be more toned and stronger rather than what I weigh.

Well I'm 5'10 and I eat approximately 2,000 calories/day. I weigh quite a bit more than you at 250lbs but I still think 1200/day is too low.

If you want to change BF%, honestly light weights won't help you. Maybe a bit at first but you don't have that much to lose. Try strong lifts which is a 5 x 5 program . . . or new rules of lifting for women. Lift heavy. Those 3lb things are not helpful for most people.

Further, you cannot "tone" your muscle. Your muscles are naturally just that shape, it's when you lose BF that you can begin to see the shape of your muscles because the layer of fat rests on top of the muscle. The only way to "tone" essentially, as so many people like to call it, is to lower your BF and change your body composition.

I've gone from 340 to 250lbs, so I had a lot to lose and I did it over 2 years. I'd like to hit onederland at some point but at almost 100lbs lost I'm pretty happy right now. It's not the end goal, but it's amazing all on its own.

Also, if you want to build muscle you really cannot eat at a deficit. If you want to increase muscle mass you have to eat at a surplus. Just something to consider.

Feel free to reach out if you ever want to.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I am 5ft 9 and weigh 12st 1lb, I have started using this app 6 days ago and it recommends I consume 1200 calories a day, is this too low? I want to loose body fat and gain muscle, so I am stsrting exercising more and pilates, ive seen mention of tdee, I don, t wanr to loose weight too quickly, can anyone advise me? Thanks

Did you select the most aggressive rate of loss (2Lbs)? That may not sound like a lot, but that's a 1,000 calorie per day energy deficit...it's aggressive.

Did you select "sedentary" for your activity level...and are you really sedentary?

Do you exercise? You need to account for that activity somewhere as well.

1200 calories per day is generally appropriate for an overweight to obese female who is sedentary and doesn't really do any exercise. Or shorties and/or oldies.