Ladies who lift heavy, I have some questions for all of you.

Options
2»

Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    1) Which program do you love and why?

I started with Strong Lifts and liked it. Simple, quick, fewer sets meant I was less likely to screw up my form because I got bored or tired.

2) What weight increments have all of you found useful for going up?

These increments were for the first couple of months. They went down as strength increases leveled off.

Deadlift: 10 lbs
    Everything else: 5 lbs - my gym does not have smaller increments available, and does not allow use of outside equipment. This is now a problem with bench and OHP. I need 2.5 lb for bench, and I'd really like the full set of incremental plates (0.5 - 2.5 lb) for OHP.

3) Did you ladies have problems starting with the 45 lb bar with squats and deads? Would you've preferred starting lighter and going slower?

Only problem was nearly clocking myself with the bar doing deads. Guess I was a decently strong puller. I ended up increasing the weight to 95 lbs so I felt like there was some resistance.

Now, OHP I had to start with dumbbells.

4) She's concerned about getting tired and not being able to fulfill her daily tasks. How has it affected all of your energy levels?

I feel it if I've got too big of a calorie deficit. One things got difficult to move, it took a couple of weeks to adjust so I didn't have DOMS anymore. Otherwise, not really an issue. I ended up completing half marathon training while still progressing with my weights, if that gives her an idea. And I had just finished C25K a couple of months prior.

5) What specific advice would you have for her? Any words on keeping motivation up?

With hypermobility issues, talk to a physio about the best way to do the lifts. I'm thinking slow (forces you to keep pace with accessory muscle strength) and stopping just short of full range of motion. Motivation, see 6)

6) What has been the best thing for you since starting heavy lifting?

Posture fixed itself. Lower back ache gone. When I started running, I had zero form issues and already had a solid cardio base. I could run much faster than I imagined, and increased distance a whole lot faster than I would have believed possible. All just from lifting, because I had not done any other exercise, and I'm a desk jockey.

7) What resource would you have loved pointed out to you in the beginning?

Maybe the vids of proper form for lifts on ExRx?

8) What advice would you give me to help support her during her entry into lifting heavy?

Be encouraging, I suppose. Maybe video her doing lifts for form critiques on the forum - it can help to have 3rd party opinions on whether or not she's doing it right.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have hyper mobile hips/pelvis due to an injury during childbirth. I could not do 5x5. I started with endurance strength, 3 sets of 15 reps for 4 weeks. (The amount of weight used was just enough to barely have me squeaking out the last few reps on my 3rd set). Then I switched to a weight that allowed me to get in 6-12 reps for 3 sets. (First set I could do 12 max, second set around 10, third set around 8, but never less than 6. If I could do 3x12 I upped the weight.) After that I went the more traditional power lifting route.

Is her goal more form or function? By that I mean does she want to LOOK like she can squat 200, or does she actually want to squat 200 even if she doesn't look like she can?

Yes, I'm tired after beginning a new program. A multi vitamin, extra B and C once the dreaded 2 pm hits, and a strict sleep schedule helps me keep up with the kids.

Oh, and best thing about heavy lifting is my confidence. It's changed my life.
  • Kate814
    Kate814 Posts: 145
    Options
    1) I'm a personal trainer (who specializes in women's strength training/weight lifting), so my program is one of my own, but in all actuality, as long as she chooses a reputable program and sticks to it she will see progress.

2) As a general rule the last few reps of each set should be pretty difficult. Technically lifting "heavy" is around 4-5 reps per set, but most beginners should aim for 12 reps per set. Choose a weight where the last two or three reps are pretty difficult. Once these last couple start getting easy, move the weight up (by five-ten pounds depending on muscle group... smaller muscles= smaller increases).

3) As long as her form is perfect, the 45 lb bar is fine. If it isn't, or if she doesn't feel comfortable with it, start with less and work up.

4) When you start a weight lifting program, as long as it is accompanied by proper nutrition, you should see an increase in energy throughout the rest of the day.

5) Set small goals (whether it be mastering a certain exercise, reaching a certain weight, or whatever helps to motivate you) and celebrate accomplishing them. You'll be more excited to reach the next one!

6) Really focusing on perfect form for each exercise. I love the changes I can see in my body as well as my physical abilities!

7) Bodybuilding.com 's exercise guides help you learn proper form for each exercise and are easy for beginners to understand. Fitnessblender is also a great website for quick workouts.

8) Let her figure out what works best for her, whether that's to research proper form for each exercise before the workout and do the exercises on her own, or to have you teach her each exercise as you go. (I've worked with plenty of couples before and they can get frustrated with each other with too many corrections... congratulate her when she is doing things correctly or reaches a goal!)

*for squats, usually that mistake is because people feel like the weight is going to pull them backwards... try starting with box squats (put a chair/box behind her and have her sit down to the box) You can also tell her to focus on sinking backward, pushing through the heels, and keeping her head and chest up.

Good luck!!