Getting through on a budget

Options
This weekend I had to make the tough decision to forgo my Weight Watcher membership. I really don't want to but I also got a call from my student loan agency telling me that I have to pay an outrageous amount each month and due to finances I can not do both. Anyway, it got me thinking about other things that I can cut back on. The #1 thing is eating out which for most is a no brainer. We figured it out and between my boyfriend and I we spend at least $100 a week on breakfast and lunch. This does not include the nights I don't feel like cooking and we grab something. We have come up with a plan which will not only save money but also help with what I am eating.

Here is my question: Do you have any helpful hints on eating healthy on a budget?

Replies

• mrswilson0511
    mrswilson0511 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    fix and freeze meals, stuff you can make a bulk amount of and seperate into smaller amounts. things you would spend money for example like egg mcmuffin from mcdonalds make your own you can make a bunch up and throw them in the freezer bam breakfast is done. It might cost a little more upfront to get yourself going but so easy to maintain.
  • briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Eliminating eating out is a great thing. My husband and I have cut it down to that we only eat out about 1 time per week. We typically save about $500 each month. Also, another thing you might want to consider is to talking to the student loan finance company. I have found out that they are willing to work with you to get your payments to where you are comfortable. It may take several calls but for me personally they had me to pay about $600 per month and at the time there was no way that I could afford that. With talking with them they reduced my monthly payment to only $130.00 per month. I now pay way more than the monthly payment but there are options available.

On to food suggestions. Typically frozen veggies are cheaper than fresh. I also buy a lot of stuff in bulk including meats. Then I portion them out and freeze them. Check sales fliers for better deals depending on the store. Also, with me only buy fresh fruits and veggies with what you absolutely know you will eat before going bad. I still have a problem with this. I buy a ton and can only eat about half and then I throw about half away.
  • mindidily
    mindidily Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Plan all your meals too. I do and it keeps my grocery budget very predictable and if I stick to the list I don't over buy my fresh stuff. I plan weekly and shop on Sundays. My runs are down to $100-$120 or so a week to feed all 4 of us. If you have a couple bucks to spare now, Food Savers are great for freezing, especially meat. When certain things are on sale, I stock up and portion it out and throw it in the freezer.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I agree with what others have said. If you don't already, look for discount grocery stores like Aldi's. I love going to Aldi's because their produce is usually cheaper than even Walmart.
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Never buy drinks. Except milk. They don't fill you up. But they do add calories.
    They are not cost efficient. I pay $40 a week for groceries. I get everything.
    I need. And don't live on generic brands. I buy no convenience food.
    Nothing pre-made. Pre-cut. Cheese strings are a ridiculous price compared
    with cheese by the block. Baby carrots pound per pound. Out of this world.
    Pre-packaged anything adds up big time. It's the little things.
    Few condiments. Watch the flyers. Don't buy more produce than you can use
    in a couple of days. If you have to go to the store for a 'couple' of things
    Get them and GET OUT! Plan Plan Plan
  • phoo513
    phoo513 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I applaud your resolve in getting your budget under control. I, too, really had to struggle w/ budge once I retired. It is not any fun at all to not get what I want when I want it! (I am a spoiled old gal!) I gave up Weight Watcher's for MFP because I could not justify the monthly cost when I can get the same benefits here for free. But, that is me..... I have very supportive, living breathing friends in my close community who help me w/ my eating issues. If I did not have them, I might have stayed w/ WW for that living, breathing human support.
    The meal planning and cooking at home is also very important to me because it gives me control of what I put in my mouth as well as what I actually spend on food.
    Good Luck. I think the fact that you are reaching out for suggestions shows how dedicated you are to being a success.
  • Jchambers1130
    Jchambers1130 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy is WAY cheaper than eating out or junk food, plus you eat less trying to lose weight. Knock out sodas and go to water, it's free!

Each of my meals probably consist of about $1-$3 when I make it myself. Find things on sale, Frozen veggies are $1 per bag that feeds 4 people.
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    The crock pot is your friend...make big batches of soups, stews & meats while they are on sale and freeze in meal-sized portions. Also, at the end of the week if you end up with leftover produce, chop it, throw it in the crock pot with a can of tomatoes & beans, a piece of turkey sausage, some dried spices....a couple hours later.....ta-da...soup!

Also, if you haven't done it yet, for the next couple weeks (or years), keep a diary of EVERY SINGLE PENNY you spend--just like MFP works to keep you mindful of eating and what junk you need to cut from your diet, a daily financial log will help you find where you're spending on useless crap. Get rid of that student debt as quickly as you can...they may "negotiate a lower payment" BUT at what cost to you? Believe me, any breaks they appear to be giving you is always going to be in their favor.
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    PLANNING
    and eggs.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Focus on creating meals using staples, such as: milk, bread, cheese, butter, frozen vegetables, canned/condensed soups etc. Whatever money left over use on fresh produce. buy frozen and canned goods in bulk and just store them.
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Eggs are a staple in my house. Also, whole wheat pasta, brown rice, canned beans, canned tuna, canned tomatoes, etc. - stock up when they're on sale. They are great staple items and you can make some great easy meals. Generics are every bit as good as name brands.

I've started going to BJ's or Costco and purchasing large things of chicken thighs and doing the trimming myself. I cut off the skin and trim the fat, then put them into single servings in bags and freeze them. Great for a quick after work meal. I've also done that with their ground turkey (I was amazed at how much I saved!) I buy big bags if frozen veggies and fruit as well.

This is something you guys can learn to do together too - make it fun. Learn new recipes and challenge each other to find the best deals at the stores. :-)

Plan your menu before you shop. Find recipes that use similar ingredients to avoid waste.
  • thistimewillbedifferent
    Options
    beans are very inexpensive and great for you nutritionally!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    fix and freeze meals, stuff you can make a bulk amount of and seperate into smaller amounts. things you would spend money for example like egg mcmuffin from mcdonalds make your own you can make a bunch up and throw them in the freezer bam breakfast is done. It might cost a little more upfront to get yourself going but so easy to maintain.

This. I make huge pots of chili and stuff and freeze tons. Don't want to have to buy all those containers? Buy one silicone giant muffin tinn and portion into that, freeze and put in baggies.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    sounds like you have a money to eat out as often as you'd like.

preparation is the key to success. home cooked meals can cost a fraction of what prepared meals cost, all it takes is a little time and effort to do.

spend a few hours a week and cook together.

grill up a family pack of chicken. butcher it into strips and then grill it, and seperate it into 4 ounce baggies if you want to go the extra distance. makes great snacks on their own, or thrown in a salad, or in a wrap.

make a big pot of rice. great side for most meals.

a big pot of oatmeal can also be a great quick breakfast. make it a little wet, so when you reheat it, it stays moist.

make a whole carton of hard boiled eggs. they last a week.

pb & j's can be made for the whole week for breakfast or for snacks.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Also, try picking up some convenience foods at the dollar store. I mean, you don't want to eat stuff like that every day, but recently my store had a whole case of Jamaican chicken patties. I like those a lot and they are only 400 calories. Good to have a few in the freezer for when I just need something fast and filling.
  • OfficerFuzzy
    OfficerFuzzy Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Coupons.
    Learn to coupon. They're amazing. (Safeway, Vons, Dominicks also has "online coupons" called Just For You if you have any of those in your area. You just load the coupons onto your Safeway card.)
  • sissy685
    sissy685 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the awesome ideas! I think its going to be a challenge in the beginning but totally worth it in the long run!
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Pay cash for groceries. That simple act saves me about $10-20 a week. (Less likely to make impulse shopping moves) Make a meal plan. Make your grocery list before you go to the store and stick to the list. As a single person, I've been spending $35-40 a week on food. I also recommend Dave Ramsey's book "Total Money Makeover" for general finance, budgets, & getting out of debt advice.
  • MyPureSteez
    MyPureSteez Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Plan out your shopping... Dry Beans and Brown rice taste good and they are cheap
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Chicken-boneless skinless breasts are almost always avail. under 42/lb and you can flavor them so many ways. Fruit/veg in season and if not in season, then frozen and if on sale, even better. Whole grains you cook yourself-like brown rice instead of Zatarain;s-add your own seasonings. Seasonings are often cheaper in bulk at stores like whole foods or vitamin cottage than in the jars at the grocery store. Oatmeal is cheap. Bananas are too. Add plain fat free yogurt from a large container instead of single serve and you have a cheap breakfast with complex carbs, protein and fruit-excellent nutrition.

I often crock pot 5+ pounds of chicken with seasonings and a little bit of water then shred it and eat a chicken sammich for lunch all week-you can add salad dressing or cottage cheese or avocado or light mayo-whatever you like and it's super cheap. I buy good bread, but it's still a bargain because it has good nutritional value and it's def. cheaper and healthier than eating out. Make your own taco salad from the same kind of shredded chicken and whatever veg are on sale. ore chicken and add frozen veg or fresh to make soup.

HTH at least a little bit-it's tough to eat super healthy on a budget, especially if you want good produce, but it can be done-and it is ALWAYS cheaper to cook from scratch than it is to eat out.