Is anyone here tall AND fat?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    I'm only 5'8" but when I look around I can't help but think even if I get to my goal weight I'll still be gigantic compared to 99% of the other people in the room. I'll still look HUGE in comparison with all the other people. Frustrating. But I guess I'll be less huge than now so gotta keep going.
  • Beast4242
    Beast4242 Posts: 83 Member
    YES YES YES! 5'11'' here. Started out at 240lbs (before I found MFP), and I'm down to 165lbs. Even at 165lbs, I still feel GIANT compared to other women. I'm hoping to hit 150lbs as my final weight.

As a total side note: I'm sure you can also relate to this: there is NOTHING I hate more than seeing a short woman with a tall man! I read somewhere once that only 18% of American men are 6'0'' or taller! It gets under my skin SO bad!

I agree with this sentiment, we tall men have an obligation right? I married a girl that is 5'11" and I am 6'6".

As for carrying the extra weight just because I can carry it "better" than others doesn't mean it is okay to have that extra weight. I am 250 lbs and people always say I look good but trust me I could easily lose another 30 pounds before I am in the ideal body fat range I want to be in at 15%. So I am trying to focus on that number rather than the weight but I still got some weight to lose.
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    I was 6', 300 lbs a year ago on March 10th, now i'm 225, 40 lbs to go! weeeeeeee
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    I expect it is different for men. I'm 6'5" and was 270lbs at my heaviest. (At least, that's the highest I've seen the scale.) Even at 270, it was easy enough for me to convince myself that I wasn't that fat. But now that I've lost 40lbs, I have no trouble saying that 270 is fat, even for a tall guy.

4emw2gng7p6w.jpg
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    YES YES YES! 5'11'' here. Started out at 240lbs (before I found MFP), and I'm down to 165lbs. Even at 165lbs, I still feel GIANT compared to other women. I'm hoping to hit 150lbs as my final weight.

As a total side note: I'm sure you can also relate to this: there is NOTHING I hate more than seeing a short woman with a tall man! I read somewhere once that only 18% of American men are 6'0'' or taller! It gets under my skin SO bad!

I am 5'2" and married a guy who is 6'4".. evidently you would hate me just on principle... seems a little shallow to me.

I didnt know that height should be a factor in relationships.
  • Beast4242
    shellma00 wrote: »

I am 5'2" and married a guy who is 6'4".. evidently you would hate me just on principle... seems a little shallow to me.

It is just a little playful banter between people who are tall. It is a truth that sucks when you are that tall, your selection is much smaller (no 5'5" man is going to marry a 6' tall girl - most likely) you being 5'2" really have never had to even consider ones height.

So it isn't really being shallow, it is one of those things that is true and stinks for a lot of tall women...

And I also believe when it comes to choosing your spouse its not shallow to have preferences on looks/height/weight and what not. It is your life and your choice.

Oh and just fyi I actually chose to only date tall girls, does that make me shallow?
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Beast4242 wrote: »

It is just a little playful banter between people who are tall. It is a truth that sucks when you are that tall, your selection is much smaller (no 5'5" man is going to marry a 6' tall girl - most likely) you being 5'2" really have never had to even consider ones height.

So it isn't really being shallow, it is one of those things that is true and stinks for a lot of tall women...

And I also believe when it comes to choosing your spouse its not shallow to have preferences on looks/height/weight and what not. It is your life and your choice.

Oh and just fyi I actually chose to only date tall girls, does that make me shallow?

No.. "there is NOTHING I hate more than seeing a short woman with a tall man!" .. that was shallow......

• Beast4242

No.. "there is NOTHING I hate more than seeing a short woman with a tall man!" .. that was shallow......

Yeah I actually just reread that and it did sound less playful and more mean didn't it? ;)
  • SyzygyX
    SyzygyX Posts: 189 Member
    I'm 5'10 and have about 20 pounds to lose/a lot of muscle to build. When I date men, I usually prefer them to be taller, but when I date women, I like them to be smaller than I am. I definitely wish sometimes I were more petite, but overall I like being tall and strong.
  • I'm 5'9! And I weight like 320!! It doesn't look like it but I feel so gross! I am going to the gym every day and I am eating right. I'm hoping this is going to work! It really helps if you have someone doing it with you! :)
  • lastspen
    lastspen Posts: 106 Member
    I'm roughly 6'0 with about the same amount to lose as you. My size is definitely a motivation to lose for me not because I feel ugly but because I know that regardless of how tall I am, it's never okay to tell someone that you're over 300 pounds. I love my height so I'm not envious of shorter ladies because of that. I envy the fact that because they are so short their weight loss shows a lot sooner than mine would. I've lost 45 pounds and hardly seen a change in my upper body, which sucks but it's just motivation to keep going. Good luck on your journey. Feel free to add if you need encouragement.
  • eshults89
    eshults89 Posts: 45 Member
    Use your height to your advantage! There are so many sports where being tall is a huge advantage. Don't feel discouraged! Join a rowing team-seriously! If you take up running, you can be an Athena runner and place!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    I can only think of one person that I have rejected for height--he was WAY too short to dance with me--dancing is a pretty important part of my social life. If we had a ton in common or he had been an extraordinary person in some other way, it wouldn't have mattered.

I'm pretty tall, so most of the people I've been with are shorter than I am.

Yes, I think that making height a major factor in deciding who to date is shallow. Getting angry at other couples because of their height differential is just strange.
  • kodiakke
    kodiakke Posts: 379 Member
    I'm 5'9", love to wear heels (size 11 btw), and I definitely get the "OMG you weigh how much??" from friends and family when I share that info. It makes it harder because they will kinda push food on me, seconds etc. and when I say my doctor told me to lose 50 pounds (from 200) they can't believe it and say my doctor is crazy and I should ignore medical advice. But when I'm at the store to buy clothes, things gape, things don't flatter, I have rolls in places I don't want, and I know I'm overweight. I know *I* need to do something. The other place I get brutal honesty is dating. Online dating sucks... guys online have NO compunction about telling me they don't like to date fat girls, I'm too fat for California, I'm too fat to be sexy... (all quotes from actual messages) ... it goes on and on. I have gone out with guys who tell me that I emasculate them and that my biceps are bigger than theirs (again, direct quotes), but I figure any man who feels that way has more issues than I probably want to live with, so they are self-selecting themselves out of my life.

I've been told I'm too tall for a woman, and like someone else pointed out, that just rolls off my back. I love my height, I love wearing my high heels and feeling tall and feminine, and I still get to reach the top shelf. Aren't the most famous models fairly tall? There's got to be something about regular body weight stretched out and looking even leaner and thinner, right?

But I will totally cry over not being able to fit into shoes. *sigh* Such cute shoes out there, and only rarely in my size. *weep*
  • Beast4242
    I can only think of one person that I have rejected for height--he was WAY too short to dance with me--dancing is a pretty important part of my social life. If we had a ton in common or he had been an extraordinary person in some other way, it wouldn't have mattered.

Yes, I think that making height a major factor in deciding who to date is shallow. Getting angry at other couples because of their height differential is just strange.

Definition of shallow; Judging a person based strictly on looks, not factoring in their personality whatsoever.

So when someone says 'oh I am really attracted to redheads' or 'I find blue eyes attractive' that must be shallow too? Just because I find tall women attractive doesn't make it a shallow. Never said I only date tall girls no matter their personality, just that I made dating tall girls one of my preferences...

You seem a bit quick to judge someone being shallow.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I'm 5'11" and hate pictures next to other women because EVERY PART OF MY BODY looks giant compared to them! I hate it! And feel so ashamed of my body! I will always look like a giant, even if I get really skinny.

I get it. I'm not as tall but still taller than all of my friends and most women I'm around, and even though I am at a healthy weight I'm still a head or so taller than everyone in photos and my reach is like across the dang room. No matter how lean I become I'll be bigger. Luckily I LIKE that. But I think it would be frustrating if I didn't.

• dietcoke281
    dietcoke281 Posts: 226 Member
    I'm tall (5'10") and skinny (125lbs) and I still feel like a giant compared to most of my friends. Male and female :(
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member

So when someone says 'oh I am really attracted to redheads' or 'I find blue eyes attractive' that must be shallow too? Just because I find tall women attractive doesn't make it a shallow. Never said I only date tall girls no matter their personality, just that I made dating tall girls one of my preferences...

Well, we are all shallow, it's just a matter of degree. I do find it kind of strange to pick who you want to be with based on anything about looks--for me, it's 90% about personality, chemistry, having fun together, etc. I don't have one, narrow physical type that I am attracted to...but I guess most people do.

I know a LOT of women who have some sort of minimum requirement for how much taller a guy needs to be. It's not uncommon, but it IS shallow.
  • spilledmilk
    spilledmilk Posts: 83 Member
    kodiakke wrote: »

But I will totally cry over not being able to fit into shoes. *sigh* Such cute shoes out there, and only rarely in my size. *weep*

I'm also a size 11 shoe, since I was 10 years old... I feel your pain :( Wish losing weight could make my feet shorter!!
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member

Definition of shallow; Judging a person based strictly on looks, not factoring in their personality whatsoever.

Eh, I dont see it as shallow at all. Like, I think its perfectly reasonable for me to say I prefer a guy who is at least my height, though Id love a man who is 6'1" and over so that I can wear heels without towering over him. Just...would be nice to feel like Im out with my MAN and not out with my son, who I have to bend down to kiss.

Then again, I have a raging thing for blond blue nordic like guys...soooo, maybe Im shallow? Blame my hormones for that, cause I swear, the feelings I get when I cross paths with one of em is not a reaction I can control :wink:

ANYWAY! Im 5'10" and yeah, Im always the giantess... my friends even joke I cant stand next to them when we go out and wearing heels, because all anyone can see is me...making me the worst wing woman everrr LoL!

Not to mention...the one "compliment" I get from guys a lot is...wow, you are one healthy looking woman! Like yeah, I feel like that compliment is better suited for a horse instead of a feminine woman when a guy says that to me. Im an adorable petite little lady trapped in a amazonian giantess' body.

But you know what? I wouldnt trade that for anything. I like being tall. Just wish that being tall didnt equate to people having the darnest things to say. "WOW youre TALL!" Ya dont say. :neutral_face: