Grocery store nightmare

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I still don't get this idea that it's hard to find the "good" stuff. In my grocery (all three of the ones I go to, but I'll focus on the Jewel) you walk INTO the produce section. I assume produce is "good." You keep walking past it to the back and hit the fish. Go right along the back walk and get to meat, the stairs to the alcohol, then soda, dairy and eggs. Turn left instead and you get cheese, the salad bar, and the deli and bakery (in its own section so you have to go there specifically). All of this stuff is super easy to find, and the frozen section is also pretty obvious. Anything else I don't buy super regularly I can never remember where it is--by its nature the shelves are harder to find things in than the perimeter and more annoying to shop in.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    i like the grocery store ...i get lots of produce and then whatever else i want / need ...not a big deal

once in a while i get myself treats and i like the grocery store even more then <3 (*)
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I still don't get this idea that it's hard to find the "good" stuff. In my grocery (all three of the ones I go to, but I'll focus on the Jewel) you walk INTO the produce section. I assume produce is "good." You keep walking past it to the back and hit the fish. Go right along the back walk and get to meat, the stairs to the alcohol, then soda, dairy and eggs. Turn left instead and you get cheese, the salad bar, and the deli and bakery (in its own section so you have to go there specifically). All of this stuff is super easy to find, and the frozen section is also pretty obvious. Anything else I don't buy super regularly I can never remember where it is--by its nature the shelves are harder to find things in than the perimeter and more annoying to shop in.

I've been struggling with this idea as well. The grocery stores in my area are laid out pretty much as you describe. You have to go through the produce section, whereas the bakery is in its own section. Even at the Super WalMarts and Costco's in my area, if you're in the bakery it's because you deliberately wandered into the bakery section. I know this because it's hard to be casual about picking up some sugary bakery goods as nonchalantly as other things.

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Only time it's a nightmare for me is seeing the total and I have to pay especially if it was a big meat or ice cream stock up trip.

Don't go hungry. I also like going on off hours so there are fewer people to annoy me, favorite time is around 3 or 4 in the morning and you only have to deal with the employees.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I love going to the grocery store! Its a chance to try new veggies & grains. This week's new item is farro. Never tried it and I'm looking forward to it. I also bought some fresh fish which is a treat. I peruse every aisle looking for different nutrient dense foods to add to my diet.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Produce section, meat section, dairy section. Stop in the coffee aisle on the way to the register. If they'd move the coffee to the produce section, it would go even faster. The only other time I need to stop in an aisle is on the rare occasion I need more salt, spices or oils from the baking aisle.

Not really a problem.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options

This is how all grocery stores I've been to are spread out. It's actually way harder for me to find the "bad" stuff I want because it's in like 500 different aisles, whereas the produce and meat and dairy are all laid out super nice and easy to see without reading up above at the aisle categories/labels, without having to look way up or way low... I swear the only reason it will take me so long to shop is when I'm trying to find things in the actual aisles because I never remember where anything is or they will have the same thing, different brands/types in TWO sections. Like peanut butter here is in two sections because of the "organic" stuff lol.

I buy shelved stuff pretty regularly and I still have a harder time finding it.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

This is how all grocery stores I've been to are spread out. It's actually way harder for me to find the "bad" stuff I want because it's in like 500 different aisles, whereas the produce and meat and dairy are all laid out super nice and easy to see without reading up above at the aisle categories/labels, without having to look way up or way low... I swear the only reason it will take me so long to shop is when I'm trying to find things in the actual aisles because I never remember where anything is or they will have the same thing, different brands/types in TWO sections. Like peanut butter here is in two sections because of the "organic" stuff lol.

My main grocery store has paper lists of common items and the aisles where you can find them. They have a plastic holder at each end of every aisle with some of the lists. I often have to consult them for things I buy maybe once or twice a year. Saves time having to wander the aisles looking.

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

My main grocery store has paper lists of common items and the aisles where you can find them. They have a plastic holder at each end of every aisle with some of the lists. I often have to consult them for things I buy maybe once or twice a year. Saves time having to wander the aisles looking.

My grocery stores don't do this :( just the labels at the top of the aisle which can still be very vague.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

Mine does this too! Total life saver when I'm running in real quick for something random. Saves me from looking like a dumb dumb when I ask an employee and it happens to be right in front of my face too.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    The only time grocery shopping is a nightmare for me is when it's too crowded, like if I make the mistake of going on Senior Citizen's Discount Day, or before a holiday or snowstorm. Somehow it's an anxiety attack trigger for me.

But the food is never a problem. Unless their out of my favorite chocolate milk.

YES. Or Wal-Mart at any time. And one time I was in Aldi and didn't realize that my debit card had expired, that was a nightmare!

OP, do you also struggle when reading beauty magazines because you want ALL THE CREAMS? I kinda do.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    The only time grocery shopping is a nightmare is when I have my 3 and 6 year old kids with me. Seriously have you ever tried to maneuver one of those car carts up and down aisles? And who decided that kid sized carts were a good idea? Obviously someone who is impervious to pain in the back of their legs...

OP as others have said, go with a list built from a meal plan. Don't demonize foods. Understand your store floor plan and avoid aisles with foods you are trying to avoid. Convenience foods are really helpful to many people, and are not inherently unhealthy. I've lost about 30 pounds eating "processed foods" in addition to whole foods. everything in moderation...
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    The only time grocery shopping is a nightmare is when I have my 3 and 6 year old kids with me. Seriously have you ever tried to maneuver one of those car carts up and down aisles? And who decided that kid sized carts were a good idea? Obviously someone who is impervious to pain in the back of their legs...

OP as others have said, go with a list built from a meal plan. Don't demonize foods. Understand your store floor plan and avoid aisles with foods you are trying to avoid. Convenience foods are really helpful to many people, and are not inherently unhealthy. I've lost about 30 pounds eating "processed foods" in addition to whole foods. everything in moderation...

Those car cars are the worst. They are so much heavier than normal carts and awful to push.

My least favorite part of the grocery store is the bifurcation of the things between the normal aisle and the organic/healthy aisle. I like certain brands of items and it's annoying that I have to go hunting for nut butter halfway across the store

There is something to being aware of the processed foods you eat. Not because they are inherently bad for you, but because it's easy to go a bit overboard by eating mindlessly. If your using something like MFP, a food scale, etc then it's easy and manageable to know what you're consuming. It can be easy to eat a diet that is heavy in processed food without using portion control and gain a lot of weight.

• Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    melifairy wrote: »
    I'm glad you can eat all these bad foods and still lose weight. I hope to be able to do that someday too. :) I guess my main point was, all the advertisements and the way they position things in the store is to get you to buy the unhealthy stuff. Why don't they make it harder to find the "bad" stuff and easier to find the good stuff? :)

I've noticed the opposite trend happening - the stores I go to prominently label and display the organic / natural stuff, because they are more expensive. It is all about profit margins and agreements with suppliers who negotiate with the stores for product location and positioning on shelves.

• Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    The only reason the grocery store may be a "nightmare" for me is because I see awesome foods that I can't have. I have a medical condition that is VERY food sensitive. Eating specific foods can make me very ill and put me in tremendous pain. Eating some tomato the other day had me in quite a bit of pain for 3 days. So I get sad when things look really awesome but then find I can't have them.

Otherwise, I actually LOVE going to the grocery. It's time to myself and I pretty much go through every bit of the store looking for new finds. Then again, I also do eat ice cream, cookies, and chips as part of my diet along with dairy, meat, and produce so *shrug*. I guess I just refuse to make life even more difficult then it already is.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    A reality check for anyone who really thinks supermarkets actively want you to buy "unhealthy" (LOL) food:

From the New York Times:
    "...along with the meat counter, the produce aisle is one of the most profitable parts of a grocery store, with large volumes and higher-than-average markups from the wholesale cost. So even if sales of frozen pizza and potato chips dip, the grocer’s net profit will rise if zucchini gains."

At worst, supermarkets don't care. But generally, they'd be thrilled to see you buy more produce even if it meant you bought fewer blue boxes of macaroni and cheese.

Also, for anyone who is interested in strategies that social scientists, marketers, retailers, and even food companies are trying to encourage people to make more healthy choices in supermarkets, maybe check out http://www.healthyfoodaccess.org/retail-strategies/healthy-food-marketing

ETA: Bottom line, it's still the consumer's responsibility to make their own choices in the supermarket. It's no one's job to nanny grown-ups into making healthier choices.

• Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    The only store I find a nightmare is Wegman's- that store STRESSES ME THE EFF OUT.

I don't know about Wegman's, but I agree with the sentiment TOTALLY. There are good grocery stores and bad stores in my neighborhood, and the bad stores are really ugly, messy or disorganized, and always stressful. I've found my favorite Publix and Kroger and stick with those (and attempt to stay out of the yucky badly designed stores, one of which is another Kroger that I just don't "get").
  • 1stplace4health
    1stplace4health Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I believe the back of the package should be the front (ingredients). The front are lies!
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Aemely wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    The only store I find a nightmare is Wegman's- that store STRESSES ME THE EFF OUT.

I don't know about Wegman's, but I agree with the sentiment TOTALLY. There are good grocery stores and bad stores in my neighborhood, and the bad stores are really ugly, messy or disorganized, and always stressful. I've found my favorite Publix and Kroger and stick with those (and attempt to stay out of the yucky badly designed stores, one of which is another Kroger that I just don't "get").

We have a Kroger that puts stand alone, open top cooler cases in the dairy aisle. It leaves one cart-width gap on either side, so if one person stops to get anything from one side, and someone stops on the other side, everyone else has to wait for them to both move from one end to the other. If you're unfortunate enough to go when they're re-stocking on one side or the other, you might as well give up and go to another store.