Difference between calculated macros and MFP database

Options
During investigation of my daily consumed macros I noticed that; for huge number of foods from MFP database, when I do the math for macros I always get calories more than recorded in its nutrition values. Let me explain:

example "Bread - Whole-wheat"

as mentioned in MFP database; macros are:
Calories: 246
Total fat: 4g
Total carbs: 46
Protein: 10g

Let's do the math:
Total Calories = (Protein x 4) + (Carbs x 4) + (Fat x 9)
Total Calories = (10 x 4) + (46 x 4) + (4 x 9) = 260 !!!!!!!!!!!!

here we got deviation of 14 cals (Recorded=246, Calculated=260)

So which number is the correct? and what value can we trust? as the case goes worse for processed foods and meals, the deviation increases more and more. Why we see that difference?

Thanks in advance

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    Rounding errors and accounting for fiber in different ways. Choose to follow whichever numbers you want. I no longer tabulate calories from macros, I just use the calorie number given on the nutrition info.
  • hanymamdouh
    hanymamdouh Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Doesn't fiber fall under carbs?
  • jessupbrady
    jessupbrady Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Well, there could be a data entry error in the macros.
    First, MFP will round your numbers (if you enter 3.8 it will be changed to 4)
    Second, It could be data entry error
    Third, If you look at packages they can be just as inaccurate (they are allowed up to a 20% margin of error)

There is only so much you can control. Focus on that part, try and confirm what you are eating is what you are recording as closely as possible. After about 2 months you can use your own data and what has been going on with you as a guide to adjust your caloric intake and the % of Macros you need to consume.
  • christopherlee147
    christopherlee147 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Fiber does fall under carbs, however there are two types of fiber; soluble and insoluble. Since insoluble fiber is not digested by our bodies it essentially has zero calories.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    I think an entry like 'bread-whole wheat' has more than a few entries. If you want inexactness use one of the entries. If you'd like greater accuracy create your own entries and make your own food which requires time. Many people just plug in what MFP has and they move on. The cool thing is you get to choose.
  • hanymamdouh
    hanymamdouh Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, I'm close to believe that it is because or rounding numbers. Problem is that I'm in phase of maintaining while reducing body fat % and bulking. That phase needs strict intake and too much accuracy. I will try to deduct 10% of my goal as error margin and follow up my measurements/weight for 30 days to get the correction factor.