Any girls here into powerlifting/Weightlifting?

Options

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I power lift, and compete. I've only been doing it a few years but i absolutely love it. I am training Westside Conjugate method.

I'd love to have more power lifters as friends, so anyone that lifts feel free to add me.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Stronglifts for about 4 months now. Just signed up for a meet in May. No coach, just a husband with a bit more faith in me than I have sometimes. :-)

Feel free to add me as a friend!

What would you suggest to someone who is interested in competing but doesn't have a coach...or much help at all?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    just compete. You don't need a coach.
  • arditarose
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    just compete. You don't need a coach.

I do need someone to take a look at what I'm doing once in awhile. And I guess I feel like I need someone to tell me what to do. Maybe that's not the case.
  • dbmata
    Options
    You may need it mentally, but you don't need it to compete. you know you.

Most of the folks at my competition who weren't crossfitters were going it alone without a coach.
  • arditarose
    Options
    You may need it mentally, but you don't need it to compete. you know you.

Most of the folks at my competition who weren't crossfitters were going it alone without a coach.

Oh yeah. I know that. I just feel like I need some help getting into it that's all. On like...a lot of levels.
  • navyjen
    navyjen Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I want to be but.... I need someone to teach me and I just don't want to go up to some big dude and the gym and be like hey will you help me out?? So, as I get more adventurous at the gym I am trying new things.
  • arditarose
    Options
    navyjen wrote: »
    I want to be but.... I need someone to teach me and I just don't want to go up to some big dude and the gym and be like hey will you help me out?? So, as I get more adventurous at the gym I am trying new things.

Go for it! Read one of the beginners programs/books. If you don't understand an exercise, watch a video on bb.com (they have one for everything you can imagine) over and over again before you go in to do it.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I've been doing Stronglifts for about 4 months now. Just signed up for a meet in May. No coach, just a husband with a bit more faith in me than I have sometimes. :-)

What would you suggest to someone who is interested in competing but doesn't have a coach...or much help at all?

Search in your area (google or facebook) for a local powerlifting club. They are almost always willing to help a newbie. If you let me know your area, I can TRY to find a club for you.

• navyjen
    navyjen Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options

Go for it! Read one of the beginners programs/books. If you don't understand an exercise, watch a video on bb.com (they have one for everything you can imagine) over and over again before you go in to do it.

Thanks. I will get a book. And will check out the site. You look great. I can see your hard work is paying off.
  • arditarose
    Options

Search in your area (google or facebook) for a local powerlifting club. They are almost always willing to help a newbie. If you let me know your area, I can TRY to find a club for you.

I am close to one...but it's 200 bucks a month to train there. I can't afford it. Not even close to being able to.
  • arditarose
    Options

Thanks. I will get a book. And will check out the site. You look great. I can see your hard work is paying off.

Thanks! That was only accomplished on a calorie deficit. Important to keep as much muscle as you can while you lose fat! Start lifting yesterday.
  • dbmata
    Options

I am close to one...but it's 200 bucks a month to train there. I can't afford it. Not even close to being able to.

Why not hunt up a couple of competitions, go, observe, and ask a few folks how they do it? A coach is helpful, very, but expensive cause they gotta eat all the whey. Having the support would be excellent, but if you're on a consistent program, know your way around the big three, you should be fine.
  • arditarose
    Options

Why not hunt up a couple of competitions, go, observe, and ask a few folks how they do it? A coach is helpful, very, but expensive cause they gotta eat all the whey. Having the support would be excellent, but if you're on a consistent program, know your way around the big three, you should be fine.

Yeah! I've looked some up but it seems they're almost never in NYC, unless I'm totally missing something. I'm reluctant to go out of the city because I don't have a car. Maybe I can find one close to a train line.
  • dbmata
    Options
    There you go.

There is a ridiculous number of powerlifting orgs, be sure to check them all.
  • SonyaCele
    Options
    Go watch a competition, see how its ran and what they do. and there is nothing wrong with walking up to a guy in the gym and asking for help, that's what i did... he name was ummm.... Mark Bell. and he was super helpful and got me in the right direction.
    At competitions most people do have coaches and are with a team they train with. But there are a lot that train themselves and show up by themselves. I'm made the best friends ever at the powerlifting gym.
  • dbmata
    edited February 2015
    Options
    If you're going to ask a bro for advice.

That's a good bro to ask.
    47c41f18e6markbell.jpg
  • arditarose
    Options
    Wow.
  • SonyaCele
    Options
    yeah i was a bit awe struck. He added 50 pounds to my deadlift in just a half hour of coaching. Nicest guy ever.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options

There has to be another option that is a stupid price. You can train on your own for a lot, but seek a group for contest prep, even if you have to travel.