Do you set short or long-term goals?

Options
2»

Replies

• hippygirl325
    hippygirl325 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Both, for sure. I'll think about how many lbs I want to lose this week, this month, and try to project how long it will take to get to the end. But I think even my goals should be more non-scale, because you really can't control the scale and how fast it moves. Even if you do everything right, you may still be losing inches and not pounds. I think better goals are nutrition and fitness related because those are the things you can actually control. :)
  • JordisTSM
    JordisTSM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I've done neither. Currently 347 pounds (down from 364 *squeeee*), I'm not setting any goals at this point, just going day-to-day.
  • Vex3521
    Vex3521 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Both. Even if it is a 1 day challenge to get me working on something. Short term goals help establish habits and I think make it easier to change. Helps remind me what I wanted to do and how far I have come when I am really in a bad mood.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I do both. I spent a lot of time preparing my plan, focusing on it and continually monitoring and adjusting. Most of my effort just goes from day to day, but i review all the time to make sure I understand whats happening.
  • rosiorama
    rosiorama Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I have mini goals! I started at 185 and my go was to get under 180! I keep my mind on 5 pound increments because they arent as intimidating as a bigger number. I have a fuzzy goal if getting to 165 and I will see how I feel when I get there. 150 is in my head bit I haven't been that weight except in the last 20 years except during my divorce and when I was a manual laborer. I don't know if I can get there with the lifestyle I have now.

Use what motivates you most. If I concentrated only on the big number to start I think it could feel like I'll never get there.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I do both. My overall goal is to be a healthy weight, but I set short term and mid term goals as well. At first it was just to get under 300 pounds, then every 25 pounds after that. I also have a midterm goal of getting under 230 by July, so I can skydive with a friend of mine.
  • JoseCastaneda
    JoseCastaneda Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I keep in mind where I want to be, but also, set shorter, smaller goals. I'm some 10 pounds away from my ultimate weight goal, and I'm already working on my next goals (maintenance, muscle building, etc). The thing is to have always those goals in mind, and know this isn't just a 'weight loss journey'. It's a lifestyle change.
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I look at my weight loss journey in 20 pound increments. I hit the first one today (199.8, I've lost 20.2 lbs), and now I'm aiming for the 2nd 20 pounds (at 1# per week, that will happen around 6/29) and then my 3rd 20 pound (and my overreaching "big goal") is scheduled for around 11/9. I'll reassess then and decide what I want to do.