I'm New Here!

Hi there, everyone!

I'm new here on MFP. My main reason for starting this has been the desire to quit putting off my fitness goals. I'm a college student, and am sadly a victim of the "freshman 15" (granted, it took me 2 and a half years to gain that 15 pounds, but still...).
I realize that now is the time to start "worrying" about my body. I want to live the best, fullest, healthiest life possible - and I have to start now. Taking care of my body should be more important to me than it has been in the past, and that's why I finally caved and reached out for help. I thought I could do it myself, but I can't. I have started on the fitness train so many times- and I'd be really faithful with eating well and exercising....for about 2 weeks or so. Then I'd get discouraged because I wasn't seeing any physical results and just give up. I don't want to be that way for the rest of my life!
Plus, I'm a performer...or, I want to be one day. However, to get the roles I want I have to be fit. Musical often require a lot of dancing and physicality, something I just can't offer with my body the way it is now. I have to get fit if I wanna make it out there!
This is the true test of my commitment. If I can just stick with this, I know I can get where I want to be. Any encouragement, advice, help, diet plans, exercise tips or anything you all can give me would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you all, and may God be with you on your journey to fitness, keeping you focused on your goals and full of determination to finish strong! Blessings to all:)

"Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever." - 1 Corinthians 9:24-25

Replies

• brahmergirl
    brahmergirl Posts: 84 Member
    The best of luck to you!!!! :smile: May your fitness journey be a rewarding one!!!
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Welcome! If you think the Freshman 15 is bad, how about the Faculty 50? I'm here because after losing a fair amount of weight in grad school, and getting fit, I put the weight back on, with interest, once I got a job as a professor.

I understand the frustration that comes from working out and not seeing results. I found it was helpful to set a goal: for running, I started out aiming to be able to run 5 miles without stopping. By measuring progress against the goal, you see results even if they're minor. If you're doing aerobic exercise, you can also track your resting heart rate when you wake up (take your pulse for 15 seconds and multiply by four). As you get more fit, it will slowly drop. Not everyone finds collecting data on themselves useful, but if you're someone who appreciates data, it can be a motivator.

Good luck! By laying a sound foundation of fitness now, you'll be doing your future self a big favor.