Im new here hoping to finally get started

Options
Hi everyone!

My name is Shakerria. I'm somewhat new nurse graduated may of last year. I've gained over 60 pounds during school and the almost year of unemployment trying to find my first big girl nursing job. I finally started my first job a month ago, but as nurses know, you don't always get to eat. I'm usually starving by the time I get home from work at night and stuff my face with the easiest thing I can find. I'm hoping that this place will help me get on track and that I will gain some new friends and support along the way. I'm tired of feeling horrible about the way I look and crying when I look at myself in the mirror when I'm getting dressed. I'm also so tired of all the comments I get from people who supposedly care about me. Like for instance, when I went to visit an aunt who I hadn't seen in a long time, the first thing out of her mouth when she saw me was "oh my God look at all that weight you gained!" really??? So if you guys have any tips on how to let comments like these roll off of your back and other tips in general, please let me know.

Replies

• clobern
    clobern Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Just know that your family (generally) wants you healthy and they just may not know how to go about it the right way. My grandmother for YEARS would berate me on how big I was, didn't care that it made me feel bad. I just had to realize she was saying it because she loved me and didn't like seeing me unhealthy.