Any tips for making wardrobe last as you're losing?

Options
13»

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My bariatric support group has monthly clothing exchanges, which is a godsend. I take in my former size and trade in for the new one. I am on my third winter jacket and it is so nice to have something that fits right. I keep a size chart on my bulletin board and measure myself every couple of months to get a sense of what new size I am. I punched holes in my old belt and that lasted a few months until I out-shrank it completely.

Spandex is my friend. Mix and match neutrals with cheap bright t-shirts that I can wear as shells under a sweater or vest. I have a large selection of scarves I can still wear.

Right now my bra is adjusted with a safety pin. I have to get re-sized soon.
  • VryIrishGirl76
    VryIrishGirl76 Posts: 1,167 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Can't help you on bras, other that maybe clearance?
    Try goodwill or thrift stores?
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Target, Wal-mart or the goodwill.

This. I also hit Old Navy since they are cheap and I like their skinny jeans.

• joseccastaneda
    joseccastaneda Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I bought a sewing machine and learned how to sew. Still a bit afraid of modifying garments, but everything i wear now looks like i dont know my clothing size.
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I have dropped 130 pounds so this has been a big struggle for me! I try to buy as much as I can from a NICE second hand or consignment store. Here in Minnesota I've found that Clothes Mentors has some really nice stuff. Black yoga pants and leggings have been a staple as well as cardigans, dresses, belts, and Maurice's tank tops
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Lots of dresses! I also buy most of my stuff on sale. I'm not replacing more expensive pieces until I am done losing weight.
  • markja
    markja Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I wear the same stuff a lot. I mostly work in jeans, they seem to be more forgiving than trousers, which seem to fall off if I lose 10 lbs. My jeans seem to hang in there longer. I've donated a big pile of 3X shirts and will donate more. I'm solid into a 2X now so, I won't be buying 3X ever again! I've been in size 44 jeans for the last 6 months, looking to getting into a size 40 by the beginning of May. I could most likely wear a 42 now but, why waste the money?

One funny thing that works well for me is suspenders instead of a belt! I wear the shirt out so they are invisible. Belts just don't seem to work in holding up the pants anymore. It surprises me but, suspenders really do work better.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Not sure what the weather is like where you are but definitely invest in some leggings/jeggings. I have on the same jeggings in my pictures. As you go down, they really keep form for the most part. Skirts are very forgiving and will look good for a while.

The work pants is the most annoying part since the are more structured. Stick to black or basic colors (dark grey) so you can slip by with multiple wears and that aren't super structured so you people don't notice when they start to hang a little. I alternate between a couple good fitting pairs and some that are looser but made to be a looser fit so it isn't really noticeable.
  • krdews
    krdews Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm more of a skirt/dress/jeans or dress pants wearer - I recommend having them altered. A pet peeve of mine is ill-fitting clothes - rather too small or big. It's pennies on the investment to have them altered. I've had some dress pants altered twice as I lost weight.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Dresses, or else have super wide hips like me so you're just reducing your muffin top for a few sizes.

Some friends of mine have done clothing swaps as well - I haven't participated since I'm the only one over a size 4 but it could work out if you have people of actual different sizes.
  • kismea
    kismea Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I buy more skirts than pants, and I take all my bottoms to be tailored. I can tailor MULTIPLE items for less than it costs to buy 1 new. I do this until my tailor looks at me and says "We are done with this one" (meaning she can't really take it in any more for a cheap cost and keep it's shape looking nice without it being an expensive tailor - at which point I would just rather replace it with something new :D). As for tops - I suck it up and wear them until they look really bad, and then I buy a few new ones.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Personally, I WANT to enjoy every size on my way down, not wait until I'm "there" to buy smaller clothing. So I shop every couple weeks at thrift stores and consignment stores. Wearing clothes that fit, especially clothes that aren't worn out and stretched out like most of my "wardrobe" was when I was at my heaviest, is really, really fun and very rewarding. The little bit I may spend every couple weeks (under 30 bucks normally) is so worth the feeling of looking good.

My rule of thumb on buying these temporary sizes was that the zipper must close so I can wear the item soon. But, I've put that aside because I've realized that there are some super great bargains on the racks in jeans one or 2 sizes down that may not be there when I'm in that size. It has paid off and I'm now wearing pants that I bought a couple months ago. I don't have smaller sizes in my closet unless I buy them now because I was so fat for so long.

Also, I get rid of everything that becomes too big. I am not going back there. No way. Some of the stuff I consign but most I donate.

Today I'm wearing a pair of size 12 jeans. This time last year I was wearing a size 22. So much fun!!! I have a couple pairs of size 10 and one size 8 in a brand I could never afford new, waiting on me to fit them.

55835802.png
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Leggings are not pants. Please do not wear them as such.

Dresses and yoga pants are good bets. I like Ross, Marshall's, Tj Maxx, etc. for staples.
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    I also need clothes that fit whatever size I am now. I tend to shop the sales at the mall and supplement with some things from places like Kohl's or Old Navy or a secondhand shop (Plato's Closet is a good one) that are much cheaper.

I have a corporate job, with some travel to more industrial sites. I have to have pants that fit me properly, yoga pants or leggings as pants would not be acceptable.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    As a woman, easiest thing is buying dresses and skirts. Belt them at the waist as they get looser. Buy cheaper pieces too. Pants are overrated and I've always hated them -- tight in the thighs, loose in the waist, and sometimes baggy in the butt (not so much now unless the pants are just way too big in the waist for me, but it was a problem before I started strength training properly). I am fortunate to have small boobs and will go braless whenever feasible, or honestly I'll wear my sports bras when I can. I'm not bothering to buy new bras until I reach my goal weight.

You can also buy a skirt to fit you at your waist (or what ever the narrowest part of you is) and then wear them lower as you lose weight, like around the hips. You might have to hem it, but maybe that would work...

How about stretchy pants? Also try going to thrift stores until closer to goal maybe? Then the clothes are cheap enough that they don't have to last.
  • kborton1122
    kborton1122 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I bought all my clothes while losing weight at a 2nd hand store, like Goodwill. I went from a size 24 to a 6, and there was no way I would have been able to buy a brand new wardrobe every time, so Goodwill was a lifesaver for me.

Nice work on the weight loss!

13928394.png
  • af_wife2004
    af_wife2004 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Thrift stores!!! I have to wear business attire for work so I've found the goodwills in the area that tend to get the nicer clothes (Ann Taylor, Coldwater, Lane Bryant, etc) and go there. I can get a basic wardrobe for $40-50 which helps a lot in the interim sizes.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    sodakat wrote: »
    Personally, I WANT to enjoy every size on my way down, not wait until I'm "there" to buy smaller clothing. So I shop every couple weeks at thrift stores and consignment stores. Wearing clothes that fit, especially clothes that aren't worn out and stretched out like most of my "wardrobe" was when I was at my heaviest, is really, really fun and very rewarding. The little bit I may spend every couple weeks (under 30 bucks normally) is so worth the feeling of looking good.

My rule of thumb on buying these temporary sizes was that the zipper must close so I can wear the item soon. But, I've put that aside because I've realized that there are some super great bargains on the racks in jeans one or 2 sizes down that may not be there when I'm in that size. It has paid off and I'm now wearing pants that I bought a couple months ago. I don't have smaller sizes in my closet unless I buy them now because I was so fat for so long.

Also, I get rid of everything that becomes too big. I am not going back there. No way. Some of the stuff I consign but most I donate.

Today I'm wearing a pair of size 12 jeans. This time last year I was wearing a size 22. So much fun!!! I have a couple pairs of size 10 and one size 8 in a brand I could never afford new, waiting on me to fit them.

55835802.png

Great job! I love to dress to feel good, too. I will keep some of these ideas in mind. I'm not sure about leggings as they've never flattered me but I'm open to trying them again in the future.