tips for staying active at sitting down job please

Options
I recently have gone from a job where I was moving around constantly to one where I'm either driving or sitting the majority of the time. Before, I was reaching 11k steps on my FitBit without even trying, and now I'm lucky if I reach 4-5k. The weather is awful currently (I live in Buffalo, NY and haven't seen the ground in a few months now,) and I'm tired of pacing back and forth in my house to try to get an extra thousand steps. Even during commercials for the few television shows I watch, I try to do some exercises. I do get up multiple times to go refill my water bottle at work (even going to the other side of the building to use the restroom to try to get in some activity.) I also try to not just call or email people in the building but actually get up to go talk to them. I hope to join a gym to get more active in the coming weeks, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for staying active in the meantime while mostly sitting at work?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• amrelmesery
    amrelmesery Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    maybe you need to get Treadmill in your home
  • JAT74
    JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I work from home and am in the same position. I started using a pedometer a couple of weeks ago and was horrified to find that most days I struggled to get to 4000 steps. I've just ordered a Fitbit for extra motivation and I've bought some short workouts (10 minute solutions) I can do when I get a break during the day.

It's really hard to get the steps in I agree but I try and do a lot more at weekends by going for more walks outside or even window shopping/going to a market so I'm walking around.

I am also going to make the effort to go up and down stairs more and take more time and opportunities like you are to go into other parts of the house to increase steps. Today when I went to the market I parked really far away so I had to walk further to get to where I was going and I'm generally going to implement things like that into my day.

Today I reached 14800 steps which is great and I will aim for 7500 on the weekdays and see how I get on. I use the gym daily anyway but I still feel that being so sedentary outside of workouts i isn't good.
  • marie5282
    marie5282 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanks both of you.

I do have my FitBit, which I love. It provides extra motivation and keeps me accountable for my activity, which is why I'm almost beating myself up over this. I do try to park further from places that I'm going, but it's so hard in the winter (especially this one which seems to be endless snow and ridiculously low wind chills.) During the spring/summer/fall I'm out walking all the time with my dog, so it's no problem really then. Just I guess more so at this time of year…

Ugh, and now I feel like I'm sounding as though I'm just making up excuses.
  • alltheweigh170
    alltheweigh170 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Maybe some Leslie Sansone walk videos might help. I see some videos on YouTube.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Duplicate post
  • ZebsterBC
    ZebsterBC Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Is there a mall near you where you can walk? Can you use part of your lunch time at work to walk around in the building to get more steps in? Maybe climb some stairs too?
  • ZiezieO
    ZiezieO Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I work in an office. I'm trying to move to areas where I have to stand and work so that I can move around more. But I'm interested in other peoples suggestions!