tips needed for staying active at sitting job please

Options
I recently have gone from a job where I was moving around constantly to one where I'm either driving or sitting the majority of the time. Before, I was reaching 11k steps on my FitBit without even trying, and now I'm lucky if I reach 4-5k. The weather is awful currently (I live in Buffalo, NY and haven't seen the ground in a few months now,) and I'm tired of pacing back and forth in my house to try to get an extra thousand steps. Even during commercials for the few television shows I watch, I try to do some exercises. I do get up multiple times to go refill my water bottle at work (even going to the other side of the building to use the restroom to try to get in some activity.) I also try to not just call or email people in the building but actually get up to go talk to them. I hope to join a gym to get more active in the coming weeks, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for staying active in the meantime while mostly sitting at work?

Thanks in advance! I appreciate any suggestions!

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Run stairs at lunch
    Park farther away
    Walk around the office every 20 minutes
  • marie5282
    marie5282 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Run stairs at lunch
    Park farther away
    Walk around the office every 20 minutes

Thanks! I do already park in the farthest parking lot that I can, but I'll definitely work on your other two suggestions. :smile:
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    If you are constantly sending emails to other staff in the office, go visit them instead, and confirm what you need to in an email afterwards.
  • JordisTSM
    JordisTSM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Drink water one glass at a time instead of having a bottle, that way you have to get up for water more often. Lots of water should also mean lots of toilet breaks, if you're in a multi-level building, go to another floor to use the bathroom - making sure you take the stairs.
  • marie5282
    Options
    If you are constantly sending emails to other staff in the office, go visit them instead, and confirm what you need to in an email afterwards.

Thanks, though I do already do this. :smile:
  • marie5282
    Options
    jordistsm wrote: »
    Drink water one glass at a time instead of having a bottle, that way you have to get up for water more often. Lots of water should also mean lots of toilet breaks, if you're in a multi-level building, go to another floor to use the bathroom - making sure you take the stairs.

That's a good idea. I currently use a 32 oz plastic cup/bottle that I refill on the second floor (only two levels to our building and I'm on the first.) I've only been going to the other bathroom on my level (the closer one is right outside of my office) but could go upstairs to use theirs and get in some extra stairs. Thanks! :smile:
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    marie5282 wrote: »
    I also try to not just call or email people in the building but actually get up to go talk to them.
    Thanks in advance! I appreciate any suggestions!

Ahh, she does
  • TheSheepFollower
    TheSheepFollower Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Periodically during the day squat over your chair to get a butt workout
    During your lunch hour, breaks, and when your at home workout
    Use the stairs
    And park farther away from the building.
  • LowCarbHeart
    LowCarbHeart Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I keep a pair of 5 pound weights under my desk and do arm exercises every hour or so. It helps to break up the day!
  • subversive99
    subversive99 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Good suggestions, I'm in a similar position and i find that the following things help me creep towards my 10k daily step goal (most already mentioned, but just speaking from personal experience)
    • taking the long way to the bathroom, then taking an extra lap on the way back
    • Taking the stairs up and down to the 3rd floor
    • "Accidentally" forgetting something in my car
    • Parking as far away as possible
    • Taking the plus 15 to the office instead of the more direct outdoor route from my parkade if downtown Calgary

Good luck!