Good carbs bad carbs

Options
13»

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Another day. Another day of folks battling each other with other people's research (probably taken out of context).
    And all this on a thread that wasn't supposed to exist. lol
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Wow! Even though it has been proved for a while I still believe the earth is a sphere and I won't fall off the edge. A plant based diet is the only proven way to prevent and reverse our number 1 killer (heart disease) here in the US. Whatever we need to do to prevent our top killer I want to do it. If you or someone else needs to take the chance fine.

Sure, if you feel it's your ticket to preventing heart disease go ahead but that doesn't mean you need to drop your protein and fat to near nothing, which isn't good either. Oh, and if you say that it's the only thing then I guess you haven't heard of a thing called exercise?

ETA and you really need to stop with the raw food propaganda and as I said never give anyone advice on nutrition for their sake since you have no idea what you are talking about.

I am not on a raw food diet. I eat a whole food plant based diet. I eat pretty as much what I want and keep my weight down. I have plenty of energy to ride my bike hard several times a week. And although exercise is great it doesn't come close to having the same effect as eating a plant based diet.

I'm glad it's working for you. It's not for me, but that's life, right? And while it might be tempting for you to taunt me about how this means I'm going to die soon, that just doesn't seem wise, although maybe I'm outing myself as more superstitious than I'd like.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Wow! Even though it has been proved for a while I still believe the earth is a sphere and I won't fall off the edge. A plant based diet is the only proven way to prevent and reverse our number 1 killer (heart disease) here in the US. Whatever we need to do to prevent our top killer I want to do it. If you or someone else needs to take the chance fine.

Pretty sure a plant-based diet is not the only proven way to prevent and reverse heart disease. I mean, assuming Mayo Clinic website is reliable, ways to prevent heart disease include:

1) No smoking
    2) Regular exercise
    3) Dietary consumption, where they mention regularly consuming fish (high fat and protein)
    4) Healthy weight
    5) Getting in enough sleep
    6) Health screenings.

Those things will cut some risk but will not prevent and or reverse heart disease.

Will cutting out protein reverse heart disease? If so, should I avoid it entirely? Can you open your diary so I can see how a diet without protein works?
  • mrjansanman
    mrjansanman Posts: 22 Member
    Options

Will cutting out protein reverse heart disease? If so, should I avoid it entirely? Can you open your diary so I can see how a diet without protein works?[/quote]

Cutting out animal protein along with processed oils. If you eat a starch based whole food plant based yes this will prevent and reverse heart disease. You can have plenty of plant protein in your diet, although you don't need as much protein as people say you do. When I was in college my A&P professor said we only need enough protein the size of half a small McDonalds hamburger. American society makes us believe we need tons of animal protein though Asian and African people have been living on a high carb low animal protein diet for years. They do not have the heart disease, diabetes, and cancer rates we have here in the US. Also watch a video called "Forks Over Knives" on Netflix or on their website.
    I just started logging into "My Fitness Pal" so it probably wouldn't give you a good picture.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Will cutting out protein reverse heart disease? If so, should I avoid it entirely? Can you open your diary so I can see how a diet without protein works?

Cutting out animal protein along with processed oils. If you eat a starch based whole food plant based yes this will prevent and reverse heart disease. You can have plenty of plant protein in your diet, although you don't need as much protein as people say you do. When I was in college my A&P professor said we only need enough protein the size of half a small McDonalds hamburger. American society makes us believe we need tons of animal protein though Asian and African people have been living on a high carb low animal protein diet for years. They do not have the heart disease, diabetes, and cancer rates we have here in the US. Also watch a video called "Forks Over Knives" on Netflix or on their website.
    I just started logging into "My Fitness Pal" so it probably wouldn't give you a good picture.
    [/quote]

So we only need 12g of protein per day? He's an idiot. Forks over knives is propaganda and you need better sources.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    bad carbs?
    my carbs have never gone out and mugged an old lady so are most welcome in my stomach

• ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    ahh i see the conversation moved on over to protein requirements

ill stick with my consultant and dietitian and continue to get upwards of 80g a day which i consider pretty low and will get it from my meat and dairy sources as per their recommendations

oh and my family/friends hate the classification of all africans are x,z and y. many african countries serve thier carbs with a meat and vegetable based "stew"

they also dont all live in mud huts and never owned shoes either (based on some of the dumb *kitten* comments some of them have recieved along with the slow loud speech of people who presume being foreign means they dont understand)
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Another day. Another day of folks battling each other with other people's research (probably taken out of context).

I was questioning that after the 2nd or 3rd reply. I think the real question now is zealot or POE.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    ahh i see the conversation moved on over to protein requirements

ill stick with my consultant and dietitian and continue to get upwards of 80g a day which i consider pretty low and will get it from my meat and dairy sources as per their recommendations

oh and my family/friends hate the classification of all africans are x,z and y. many african countries serve thier carbs with a meat and vegetable based "stew"

they also dont all live in mud huts and never owned shoes either (based on some of the dumb *kitten* comments some of them have recieved along with the slow loud speech of people who presume being foreign means they dont understand)

I always find it funny when people treat huge contents like they were small countries.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I think I get it, this is a game right?

A. China Study reference
    B. Forks over Knives reference
    C. ???

I'm guessing that C will be; "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead".
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    BigGuy47 wrote: »
    I think I get it, this is a game right?

A. China Study reference
    B. Forks over Knives reference
    C. ???

I'm guessing that C will be; "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead".

I just want to put him in a room with GaleHawkins and watch the fun. Heart disease vs AS and rhumatoid arthritis, high cab vs high fat. It'll be like clashing giants of propaganda.
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I eat about 80% carbs and I exercise several times a week. My protein is only about 10-15% and is plant based only. My total cholesterol is only 105 and I feel fine.

A Poem:
    I eat 65% fat, feel great, food tastes amazing, losing weight, used to eat mostly carbs, suffered health issues, there's no one-size-fits-all diet, empty calories are bad, inflammation.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »

Thanks for your usual contribution.
    That's rich, coming from captain drive by.