Veganism?

Options

Replies

• jordanveg
    jordanveg Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    I like to hunt them down and shoot them myself. It's a fun hobby with the benefit of eating them, too. Animals taste good.

I'm going to get tossed out of the vegan community for saying this......but.....I completely respect people who hunt for their food. To me it's different, that animal was out there living its happy (or otherwise, nature is cruel) animal life before you went out and killed it.

It wasn't standing in its own filth in a feedlot, or have its beak clipped, or stuck in a cage too small, etc......My main issue is with factory farming.

There I said it..... I'm going to turn in my vegan membership card now.... :'(

Then I suppose I have to turn it in with you, because I don't have an issue with hunters/fishers anyway. Maybe it's a by product of being raise in Alabama where you entire family hunts. I'd rather someone hunt their food than get it from a factory farm as well!
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    jordanveg wrote: »
    I like to hunt them down and shoot them myself. It's a fun hobby with the benefit of eating them, too. Animals taste good.

I'm going to get tossed out of the vegan community for saying this......but.....I completely respect people who hunt for their food. To me it's different, that animal was out there living its happy (or otherwise, nature is cruel) animal life before you went out and killed it.

It wasn't standing in its own filth in a feedlot, or have its beak clipped, or stuck in a cage too small, etc......My main issue is with factory farming.

Then I suppose I have to turn it in with you, because I don't have an issue with hunters/fishers anyway. Maybe it's a by product of being raise in Alabama where you entire family hunts. I'd rather someone hunt their food than get it from a factory farm as well!

I'm in Alabama too! Although I've only been here for 8 years, I'm really a d@mn Yankee!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

No, this is just why you are an eminently-sensible vegan.

I think the concept of "animal rights" is rather bizarre if you think about what we mean by human rights or, especially, "rights" in the US (the Enlightenment concept of natural rights). However, I am bothered by various aspects of factory farming personally (I do admit that part of this is fetishization of local farms and having a family history not that long removed from farming) so it's not hard for me to understand how vegans could be bothered by the broader use of animals for food, etc., even though I am not. (I was also raised in an area where hunting was common and think the weirdest--well, not weird, but inconsistent--combination is people who happily eat meat from wherever but think hunting is unpleasant, who you sometimes find around here.)

I don't think that means animals have "rights" in the sense that we normally talk about rights, which seems rather human specific (or aliens with similar qualities).

And, yes, I've read Peter Singer.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I gained weight when I transitioned. If your motivation is purely for health, or you buy into the bunk that PETA spews about effortless weight loss as a vegan, I would skip it. You can be a healthy omnivore, and will have a much easier time hitting all your macros.

If you are coming at it from an ethical standpoint, go for it. You can join us in the Happy Herbivore or Team Vegan groups. :p

And, fair warning, there is no good vegan sub for bacon. :'(
    ;)

This. Vegan does not equal skinny, hot bod. If you're doing it to lose weight, eat less move more. If you're doing it because you feel it's the right thing to do ethically, then go for it.
  • eapple87
    eapple87 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've never checked the community out before so this is my first post, hi everyone!

I don't like to label myself based on the types of foods I put in my body and I don't identify fully with either vegan or vegetarian so I just tell ppl I don't eat meat and I limit my animal product consumption. I try to live as ethically as possible when it comes to the environment (it's not just poor animals it's also poor planet).

That being said I gained soo much weight when I first ventured into this ethical life style. I basically ate bread, and pasta, and pizza, and a lot of other take out crap. I didn't know how to cook for my new diet so I found myself eating a lot of pizza which was cool because it's my fave food. Until all of a sudden I was 25lbs heavier than my lowest post pardom weight. :s

What I would reccomend to anyone interested in a diet that is restrictive is to build a little tool belt before you dive in and feel stuck. Find recipes and try them while you're still eating whatever it is you no longer want to eat. Make meal plans and find ways to get what you need. You'll need to concern yourself with b vitamins, not just protein. That stuff is easy to find, b vitamins... Not so much. Pick some of your favourites for when you're feeling down about these new restrictions. You'll need something that makes you feel good about what you're doing and something that's super tasty. I found that if you slice a zuccini and use that as the crust of your pizza and add a ton of veggies it really tastes awesome. So when I was sad I couldn't have pizza I'd make zuccini pizzas.

@Laurend224‌ like you I'm not into factory farming so when I plan my next pregnancy my dad and I are going to hunt a deer/moose and he's going to fix it up for me so that I can eat it in moderation throughout my pregnancy. :) I've read some compelling studies that make a strong case for the need for meat in regards to fetal brain development.
  • mbforfree
    mbforfree Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    He, I'm also eating plantbased. I'm still overweight, but that is cause I have a food addiction and tend to 'overeat' on unhealthy things. Reason I wanna track here is to stay carbed up (as they call it) and make sure I will start loosing weight again (what happens when I eat oke)...

You can most definitely join for weightloss.

See China study, Dr McDougall (with lot of testemonies of weightloss!), but also great athletes are vegan (and no, nog overweight at all), see Scott Jurek, No meat Athlete (don't remember his name so quickly, but he has a page)... see also vegan bodybuilders, also a page... They don't look like they didnt have enough protein :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Nope. I respect this as well. I'm a wanna be vegan, married to a vegetarian who was raised by vegans and I bet they would ALL respect that to some extent.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I was thinking about becoming a vegan? What are your opinions? My first motivator was animal rights, but then I heard it was good for health and weight loss. What do you think? And tips would be appreciated.
    It's only good for health and weight loss if you eat a predominantly PLANT BASED (vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, legumes) diet rather than a mostly refined carbs (enriched, bleached white bread, sugar etc) diet.
    If you eat mostly plants (vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, legumes) and watch your portions, then you probably would lose weight, and it probably would be healthy.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    My friend at work is an aspiring vegan and she highly recommends the book Eat to Live by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. We make for an odd pair because I follow the Atkins lifestyle and was reading The Vegetarian Myth by Lierre Keith at the same time she was reading Eat to Live, lol. Both great books and both authors advocate for less sugar and processed foods.

How can you be an aspiring vegan? Aren't you like.. either one or not one?

Easily.
  • Laurend224
    Options
    mbforfree wrote: »
    He, I'm also eating plantbased. I'm still overweight, but that is cause I have a food addiction and tend to 'overeat' on unhealthy things. Reason I wanna track here is to stay carbed up (as they call it) and make sure I will start loosing weight again (what happens when I eat oke)...

You can most definitely join for weightloss.

See China study, Dr McDougall (with lot of testemonies of weightloss!), but also great athletes are vegan (and no, nog overweight at all), see Scott Jurek, No meat Athlete (don't remember his name so quickly, but he has a page)... see also vegan bodybuilders, also a page... They don't look like they didnt have enough protein :)

They aren't overweight because they are burning (and eating) a crazy high amount of calories, as most endurance athletes do. Not because they are vegan

You can be overweight by overeating 'healthy' food. If you can manage to put yourself in a caloric surplus by eating broccoli (and only broccoli) you will gain weight.

I did it with bananas once. (Don't judge me ;) )
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Why?
    mwm158 wrote: »
    Animals are delicious.
    This. I need protein, I like protein, I like meat. Sorry for animals and all that, but you know.. food chain and all. Feeling bad about animals I eat isn't on my list of life priorities, despite what a classmate in 8th grade thought when showing me her PETA pamphlet.

Unless there are religious and actual moral reasons for your choice, and not just "hm I'm thinking about it because idk, maybe animal rights or something?" then just eat the meat. Your post sure doesn't sound like your convictions are all that strong.

Not that it matters in the slightest to you, but I logged my nutrients on Thursday, and I had 109 grams of protein (1542 calories, not a run day) on an ENTIRELY plant based (including my chardonnay)

• SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Why?
    Animals are delicious.
    This. I need protein, I like protein, I like meat. Sorry for animals and all that, but you know.. food chain and all. Feeling bad about animals I eat isn't on my list of life priorities, despite what a classmate in 8th grade thought when showing me her PETA pamphlet.

Unless there are religious and actual moral reasons for your choice, and not just "hm I'm thinking about it because idk, maybe animal rights or something?" then just eat the meat. Your post sure doesn't sound like your convictions are all that strong.

Not that it matters in the slightest to you, but I logged my nutrients on Thursday, and I had 109 grams of protein (1542 calories, not a run day) on an ENTIRELY plant based (including my chardonnay)
    dc5ndai7swcc.jpg

Just a question - on your entirely plant based day there appears to be an 8oz sirloin mentioned. I thought sirloin was beef?!! Please excuse me if I'm incorrect, is there a vegan equivalent, like mushrooms or something?
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Why?
    Animals are delicious.

dc5ndai7swcc.jpg

It looks like you got 59g from plants and 50g from meat.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    SLLeask wrote: »
    Why?
    Animals are delicious.

dc5ndai7swcc.jpg

Just a question - on your entirely plant based day there appears to be an 8oz sirloin mentioned. I thought sirloin was beef?!! Please excuse me if I'm incorrect, is there a vegan equivalent, like mushrooms or something?

ha! wrong day posted! hold pls!
  • Laurend224
    Options
    Why?
    Animals are delicious.

dc5ndai7swcc.jpg

Nope a vegan equivalent would be tofu or seitan. (Preferably with mushroom gravy) ;)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited February 2015
    Options
    r77auaro6ybj.jpg
    WEDNESDAY!
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    lilbea89 wrote: »
    Why people gotta get so uppity? To each their own right? I don't hear people argue half as much about what kind of music they like as they do about the food they eat.

^^^ This.

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Beef eats plants, so isn't that close enough?
  • mbforfree
    mbforfree Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I don't know how to post my print screen, but I got 91 from protein so far... Without focussing on it. By the way, your body uses up to 95% of damaged Amino-accids again, so the use of protein is highly overrated most of the time :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Why?
    Animals are delicious.

dc5ndai7swcc.jpg

Nope a vegan equivalent would be tofu or seitan. (Preferably with mushroom gravy) ;)

Hey, I said I was aspiring lol. We had a coupon to a steak house. and MAN was that good.