Your garden

Options
Tamm04
Tamm04 Posts: 182 Member
What's in YOUR garden?? A great way to grow your own veggies and eat them of course.

We're growing tomatoes, celery, cauliflower, green peppers, yellow peppers, cucumbers and I'm trying a sweet potato. I've never grown a sweet potato before. I stuck it in a mound like a potato and we'll see what happens.

Replies

• Etienne54
    Etienne54 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    potato, tomato, cucumbers, aubergine, chili, spring onions, Chinese broccoli, green peppers,

A potato will yield you around 10-15 potatoes, I've never tried sweet potatoes, I've only done the white ones. I usually have 3 potato plants every year.. I harvest them at the end of September and always leave on in the ground for next year.
  • Tamm04
    Options
    You leave a potato to grow for next year in the ground?
  • Etienne54
    Etienne54 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    You leave a potato to grow for next year in the ground?

If you planted last month, you'll probably have potatoes for august - september. And yes, you can just trip out the branches when winter comes and it'll grow again next year. But after two year, i'll put a new potato in the ground.
  • chadraeder3
    chadraeder3 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I put in my garden at the family farm other then 26 acres of Concord and Niagara grapes I have planted Butternut squash, summer squash, zucchini, 3 kinds of cucumbers, 2 kinds of tomatoes, watermelon, cantaloupe, sweet peppers, eggplant, bush beans, and sweet corn. I also have my wine grapes, blackberries, Chinese Chestnut trees, filbert nuts aka hazelnut trees, and English walnut trees. At my home this weekend I started my herb seeds parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme, basil, oregano, mint, chives, fennel, and sunflowers.
  • pbrinnm
    pbrinnm Posts: 39
    Options
    squash, tomatoes, cucumbers, green chile, and a variety of herbs. Squash are in full bloom right now.
  • Tamm04
    Options
    I put in my garden at the family farm other then 26 acres of Concord and Niagara grapes I have planted Butternut squash, summer squash, zucchini, 3 kinds of cucumbers, 2 kinds of tomatoes, watermelon, cantaloupe, sweet peppers, eggplant, bush beans, and sweet corn. I also have my wine grapes, blackberries, Chinese Chestnut trees, filbert nuts aka hazelnut trees, and English walnut trees. At my home this weekend I started my herb seeds parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme, basil, oregano, mint, chives, fennel, and sunflowers.

and a partridge in a pear treeeeeee

Nice!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    This year only tomatoes, a variety of peppers and herbs growing in pots. We're hoping to be a new place by the end of Summer so we decided to only do containers this year.
  • chadraeder3
    chadraeder3 Posts: 279 Member
    Options

and a partridge in a pear treeeeeee

Nice!

No we took out the pear trees years ago so we could put in more grapes.
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    Since I'm running behind this year, it will be a couple of types of tomatos, peppers, and zucchini. this is my sort of standard garden fare. I will have some thinking about how to lay out the garden this year as a nearby tree has grown out a lot.
  • ellen_kay
    ellen_kay Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I don't have a garden. I do try some container garden every year. I will have a tomato, pepper and am trying lettuce this year. My neighbor has a large garden and is generous with the bounty.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I wish my garden was larger but I still managed to get a decent amount of stuff!

In pots I have a hanging strawberry plant, two other strawberry plants, two stevia plants, chamomile, peppermint, spearmint, parsley, basil, green onion, spring mix, curly kale, red Russian kale, and romaine lettuce. The kale and romaine is growing great and we've already used a lot for salads.

In the actual veggie garden we have snow peas, sugar snap peas, green beans, sunflowers, watermelon, spaghetti squash, zucchini, cucumber, tomato, green pepper, jalapeno pepper, various herbs, carrots, radishes, spinach, romaine, curly kale, spring mix, leaf lettuce, broccoli, and celery. We did a large mix of things because it's the first year at the house so we wanted to see what grew well, sizes they grow to, etc.

Later in the year I will be setting up an indoor garden for things I can grow inside during the winter.
  • JulieAnn72
    JulieAnn72 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    We have a small garden that's currently growing lettuce (romaine and mixed), onions, bell pepper and cucumber. We also have a container with carrots. We've been harvesting the lettuce over the past week or two and will probably have to finish it up within the next week or two since it's getting very warm here now. I'll also pull up the onions in a couple weeks. The peppers and cucumbers are just starting, and the carrots need a few more weeks.

I plan to plant some things in late August for fall - probably more lettuce and onions but I need to do some more research into what grows well here in the fall. This is my first year doing anything more than peppers and cucumbers.
  • froyojr
    froyojr Posts: 60
    Options
    edibles:
    2 types of apple tree (cox's orange pippin and discovery), 3 types of strawberry, white, red,&black currants, wild rocket, garlic, shallots, green onions, chives, nigella, borage, rue, chocolate mint, oregano, 3 types of thyme in a small hedge row (so lovely!), 2 types of rosemary, bay, summer and autumn (yellow) raspberries, blueberries, gooseberries, lemon balm, artichokes, parsely, basil, cilantro, lavender, and lots of dandelion (unintentional).
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    We planted peas, squash and eggplant, but only the squash is growing :(
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Two kinds of tomato, lemon cucumbers, green peppers, yellow squash, Basil, cilantro, chives, rosemary, sage, thyme, ans I have a two year old Meyer lemon tree...not producing yet, but maybe next year. And peppermint, and hibiscus for out tortoise.
  • ddslowly
    ddslowly Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    right now, okra, chard, spinach and salad greens all in containers. supposedly going to be closing on a house this friday (was supposed to be last but...sellers) that has outdoor space so i'm looking to add quite a bit more this summer.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends where in the world you are

I have apple, red, white & black currants, raspberries, strawberries, peach, cherry, fig, watercress, lemon balm [grows like a weed] tomatoes, sweet pepper, Chinese gooseberry, gooseberry, chard, runner beans, French beans, and nasturtiums [peppery flavour, & edible]
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Just tomatoes and bush beans. All I've got is a container garden.
  • singbleu
    singbleu Posts: 4
    Options
    tomatoes, several types of salad, chives, sage, strawberries, ligonberries, honeyberries, loganberries, raspberries, cherries, pears, apples, mulberry, currants (black and red), potatoes, several different mints, garlic, onions, leeks, cabbage, runner beans, broad beans, peas....I'm probably forgetting quite a bit. Everything is grown in large containers as I can't bend down very well, and the trees are in pots as well which I've cared for over the years. Lost my mini plum this year :( Going to get one more capable of dealing with huge variance in climate.
  • Garlicmash
    Garlicmash Posts: 208
    Options
    theres a veg growing group on here open to all veg growers