Need ideas and hints for homemade instant oatmeal recipes

Options
acogg
acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
My hubby loves instant oatmeal packets but he has recently been diagnosed with diabetes. Not terrible numbers, but he needs to cut out sugar where he can. I would like to recreate his favorite which is cinnamon, brown sugar and raisins. It doesn't have to be exactly the same as the packets, it just needs to be close enough that it will be acceptable. I have been reading some recipes online and some of the recipes pulverize all the ingredients before adding the fruit. I am thinking about pulverizing everything except a little bit of the oats (so that there is still some oat texture) and the fruit.

Here is my current ingredient list: Steel cut oats, flax seed, chia seed, (don't tell him about the seeds, they are my secret, lol!) cinnamon, Splenda (regular, not the brown sugar mix), cloves, ginger, powdered milk, raisins, dried apples, Craisins. I could add a bit of brown sugar if it makes a big difference in the taste. He likes nuts, but doesn't want them in his oatmeal, but I might be able sneak some in if I pulverize them. I don't like oatmeal at all so I am very inexperienced about what makes a good oatmeal. Thanks for your help.

Replies

• plane55
    Options
    forget the instant oatmeal, too much sugar. I use one minute oatmeal and mix it up the night before. In a jar with a lid add 1/2 cup oatmeal, yogurt, almond milk and top off with favorite fruit. sometimes I top it off with applesauce and cinnamon, peaches with a touch of honey, mangos, blueberries. and they don't have to be fresh, I buy frozen at times. Mix together and leave in frig til morning. Breakfast is served and it's healthy!
  • uptownplum
    uptownplum Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My oatmeal bible: http://www.katheats.com/kaths-tribute-to-oatmeal

These are the best oats, EVER.
  • acogg
    Options
    Thanks for your help, but I really need instant oatmeal recipes and tips. Hubby likes it for an evening snack. He is used to making instant oatmeal and wants to keep it that way.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I make big batches of it and only grind 1/5 of the oats. I use old fashioned oats, plus oat bran, flax meal, powdered milk and dried fruit
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Just buy the instant oatmeal 'original' packs instead of the flavored ones and add cinnamon, stevia and raisins or whatever he likes?
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Has he tried any overnight oats? There are a ton of flavor combination recipes out there if you just Google "overnight oats." You prep ahead of time and keep them in the fridge, so they'd be ready for him to warm up whenever he wanted them.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    tlblood wrote: »
    Has he tried any overnight oats? There are a ton of flavor combination recipes out there if you just Google "overnight oats." You prep ahead of time and keep them in the fridge, so they'd be ready for him to warm up whenever he wanted them.

^^ AND it's even easier than the instant junk! Just pour the jar into a bowl and heat it up. Or even better, take the lid off and heat and eat it from the jar!
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Dried fruits have tons of natural sugar, I would stay away from them for him. Just curious, have you/him seen a dietician for his diabetes? It seems like you are still feeding him the sugar is why I ask. Spices like cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg all great. Raw toasted nuts awesome. If it were my hubby, I would skip the dried fruit and sugar altogether.
  • tycoon460
    tycoon460 Posts: 28 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm also diabetic (type 1). I eat oatmeal everyday and sometimes at night for a snack. You can buy the brand you like, but I recommend you get the ones in the bulk packs or canisters. I'm normally consuming .75 cup to 1.5 cups of oatmeal in a day. That way you might save a little extra money. You could also try using nut butter in place of crushed nuts. I enjoy hazelnut and almond spread in my oatmeal.

I know you're trying to do dry mixes but if you do want to mix it before use sugar free preserves work great too! Usually only 5 carbs for a TBSP and it'll add some flavor.

You might also try using unsweetened almond milk instead of milk. Usually that's only 2g carb for a cup vs the 8g in normal milk.

I've used steel cut oats a few times. They are okay but they take longer to cook so usually only do that on weekends.

• EmRose001
    Options
    I use quaker oats original sachets and make it with water, tsp cinnamon and zero cal syrup (butterscotch, zero fat and zero sugar) from The Protein Works. So yummy!
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    A big batch of homemade oatmeal is better than the packets, and cheaper. Steel cut is the best, IMHO, because I like the texture.

You can cook a batch, add raisins and cinnamon or whatever he likes, then keep it in the fridge. Easy to nuke, or just eat cold (as breakfast, I sometimes put a scoop of it in a cake ice cream cone... seriously, it's good!).

Oatmeal is a very good base for a lot of flavors, so experiment. I also use unsweetened almond milk since it gives it a little creamier texture than water without all the calories of milk.
  • kmblank
    kmblank Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I make quick steel cut oats everyday - can microwave in 3-4 min. and for the sweetener I use Torani Sugar Free Brown Sugar Cinnamon syrup or Sugar free Salted Caramel syrup. Very good!
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Does it have to be instant? I take the time to make steel cut oats on Sunday and Wednesday nights (1 cup oats/4 cuts water yields 3 servings for me), portion it out into thirds (I weigh mine), then reheat in the morning.

Using a glass bowl, I heat one portion (plus one T water) in the microwave for 2 minutes, then stir in half and half and blueberries.

Super easy, and - for me - worth the time investment.
  • Islandgirl52
    Islandgirl52 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I make steel cut oats overnight in the crockpot...with cut up apples and cinnamon.
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    acogg wrote: »
    My hubby loves instant oatmeal packets but he has recently been diagnosed with diabetes.
    Thanks for your help, but I really need instant oatmeal recipes and tips. Hubby likes it for an evening snack. He is used to making instant oatmeal and wants to keep it that way.

I mean this with love - i'm overcoming a lifetime of bad habits and building healthier ones myself, and know the struggle -

Your hubby's preferences are what got him where he is today, for better and for worse. Folks are offering good advice on more healthful ways to enjoy oats. Maybe you're not on board with the necessary changes yet, emotionally if not intellectually. It's tough. Maybe i'm just ignorant and way out of line (all i can know about it is what i've read in your words; i don't have the full picture).

But what i suggest is helping your husband build new, healthy habits. He loves oatmeal? Great! He only loves instant oatmeal? Might be time to learn to make and embrace concessions.

Help him try a few of the options here. Find something that he can enjoy and build habits around.

Best of luck to you both.
  • troutmanpeggy800
    Options
    My hubby loves instant oatmeal packets but he has recently been diagnosed with diabetes. Not terrible numbers, but he needs to cut out sugar where he can. I would like to recreate his favorite which is cinnamon, brown sugar and raisins. It doesn't have to be exactly the same as the packets, it just needs to be close enough that it will be acceptable. I have been reading some recipes online and some of the recipes pulverize all the ingredients before adding the fruit. I am thinking about pulverizing everything except a little bit of the oats (so that there is still some oat texture) and the fruit.

Here is my current ingredient list: Steel cut oats, flax seed, chia seed, (don't tell him about the seeds, they are my secret, lol!) cinnamon, Splenda (regular, not the brown sugar mix), cloves, ginger, powdered milk, raisins, dried apples, Craisins. I could add a bit of brown sugar if it makes a big difference in the taste. He likes nuts, but doesn't want them in his oatmeal, but I might be able sneak some in if I pulverize them. I don't like oatmeal at all so I am very inexperienced about what makes a good oatmeal. Thanks for your help.
    wonko221 wrote: »
    My hubby loves instant oatmeal packets but he has recently been diagnosed with diabetes.

I mean this with love - i'm overcoming a lifetime of bad habits and building healthier ones myself, and know the struggle -

Your hubby's preferences are what got him where he is today, for better and for worse. Folks are offering good advice on more healthful ways to enjoy oats. Maybe you're not on board with the necessary changes yet, emotionally if not intellectually. It's tough. Maybe i'm just ignorant and way out of line (all i can know about it is what i've read in your words; i don't have the full picture).

But what i suggest is helping your husband build new, healthy habits. He loves oatmeal? Great! He only loves instant oatmeal? Might be time to learn to make and embrace concessions.

Help him try a few of the options here. Find something that he can enjoy and build habits around.

Best of luck to you both.

• sparrow70
    sparrow70 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've read that old fashioned oats (like in the big round Quaker containers) are better for Diabetics, because it has a lower glycemic index than quick-cooking (5 minute) oatmeal. I'm a diabetic, and use those, add some cinnamon and splenda packets. When people say "steel- cut oats", is this the same as "Old fashioned oats"?
  • acogg
    Options
    Revisiting this topic. My dear hubby is no longer eating oatmeal and his doctor is very happy with his glucose numbers. Oatmeal is evil. Blech! :(