"powerbuilding"

Options
Very technical article on powerlifting vs bodybuilding training and why PLers should be doing more "powerbuilding" http://www.strengtheory.com/powerlifters-should-train-more-like-bodybuilders/ It's the reason why I don't think powerlifting and BB need to be mutually exclusive. I'm focussing on powerlifting now but at the same time, will be slowly but surely adding some mass where required so that when I do get back on stage as a BBer I will have improved on my previous showing. (and yes, there is more to strength training that stronglifts 5x5 hehe)

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Ummmm, sorry Chris, but I'm pretty sure you're wrong. Everybody knows that the only way to lift is 5x5 or 531. All the professional bodybuilders use those two programs exclusively. So powerbuilding can't be a thing because only PL is a real thing.

Learnt that on the forums. SL5x5 or GTFO
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Good article.
  • zaxx1953
    zaxx1953 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Article is great for a novice lifter.....gives a good overview of how/why you get stronger/more powerful.

A lot of the Soviet/German style sport schools would actually utilize insertion points and fast twitch/slow twitch ratio testing to determine who to accept into elite training schools. Even today, NBA/NFL scouts use terms like high-cut to describe someone with good insertion points for explosive power.

If there wasn't rampant doping and insane equipment usage, there was a good shot of me at least doing bench competitions back in the day....i'd still love to get to a 500lbs bench at 242 or something in competition, but i'd probably need shoulder surgery.

Men tend to desire both power and looking "good".....of course those two things mean vastly different for different people. For some getting on stage at 5% at 180lbs is a goal; for me it looks like a waste of time/gains and I like being a relative fatty at well over 10 percent bodyfat.....and know a lot of people think that's a waste-variety is the spice of life.