do i need to count gum calories?

Options
I chew trident to help with my teeth. Do I need to count the calories in gum as well?

Replies

• scaryg53
    scaryg53 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I count mine
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    If you chew a piece or two, probably not. Chew an entire pack a day? Probably.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Counting calories from stuff like gum, mustard, vinegar etc would turn me into an obsessive nutcase.

I quick add 100 calories every morning to account for miscellaneous stuff like that, diet soda, artificial sweetener, etc. It's surely not accurate--that's not the point. The point is to recognize that there are some calories in what I'm eating, but not drive myself crazy logging 2.5 calories over and over and over. (I chew a lot of gum.)

Losing weight just fine, at or ahead of MFP's prediction.

ETA: Spelngg is hard.
  • maddyk91
    maddyk91 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I definitely do not. But then again, I dont count small condiments and things like coffee, either.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I count everything that goes into my mouth. Vitamins, cough drops, and gum included.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I chew two pieces a day and don't count it. I figure I burn the 5 calories up with the chewing so it's a wash. I tend to chew each piece for a looooooong time.

I count condiments, though.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I add my coffee so I get credit for the potassium. :)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    That depends on how much gum you're chewing. I believe it'd be a wash if you chew like 1 per hour or something, but chewing a whole pack in a day... i'd log it.
  • liftingandlipstick
    liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I log it on work days- I go through 5 pieces a day, which is 25 calories. Doesn't seem like much, but it's 125 for the week. I log all 5 pieces at once, along with my water additives, and it's easy enough to just copy from one day to the next.

When I'm not working, I only occasionally have one piece per day, and I don't log that. Mostly because I don't remember to.