Is low carb still worth it?

Options

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Mudakon wrote: »
    So I've been on MFP for about a year now, i've lost approx. 160 pounds with a strict low carb diet and regular exercise. But now i have the problem that i can't keep up low carb anymore i started to live way more healthy which kind of created a love for fruit in me, so everytime i actually get into low carb again it lasts like 2-5 days and i can't contain myself anymore from eating fruit.

So im wondering if it's even worth it? I can probably loose weight without low carb as well so should i try and stay on low carb or just a caloric deficit?

Congratulations on telling 160 pounds goodbye! :D

I am all for sustainable diets and truly believe that no one way of eating is right for everyone. We all have our preferences and need to find what works best for us.

That said, it sounds to me like low carb simply is not working for your anymore and you might need to revise your eating plan. If you are still working on losing weight, it will not matter what diet you choose because the only thing it takes to lose weight is to eat in a calorie deficit.

I encourage you to plan that wonderful fruit, and all foods you love, into your diet plan, all the while making sure you meet your calorie goals.

Good luck!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Other than that and carbs and sugars are a drug that you CHOOSE to not ingest.

Carbs and sugars are not drugs. You eat some carbs and sugar, otherwise you would be dead. Both are necessary to life and provide much needed energy.

• SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    When was low carb ever worth it?

^^^ This guy ^^^

• MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Are you talking low carb in general, or ketosis specifically? You can eat fruit on MOST low carb diets...depending on how low you are keeping carbs. I eat low carb and usually eat 5 servings of fruits and vegetables per day, and often two of those are fruit. But I am NOT in ketosis. If you are just talking about staying somewhere in the 50 - 150 grams of net carbs a day, that is still part of the low carb universe. You absolutely can eat fruit, and probably even more than I do depending on the rest of your diet.

That being said, if you don't think it is sustainable for you, find a plan that is. I just suggest you make any changes gradually to give yourself time to find the right balance and form good habits. You can keep the same basic diet and just add in a little more fruit. You don't need to abandon what has been working for you completely.

I prefer low carb for many reasons, but mainly because I feel much better in general, have more energy, feel fuller on less calories, and don't get cravings on it. But it isn't for everyone.

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

^^^^^^Really??

160lb's ago for the OP.

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Mudakon wrote: »
    So I've been on MFP for about a year now, i've lost approx. 160 pounds with a strict low carb diet and regular exercise. But now i have the problem that i can't keep up low carb anymore i started to live way more healthy which kind of created a love for fruit in me, so everytime i actually get into low carb again it lasts like 2-5 days and i can't contain myself anymore from eating fruit.

So im wondering if it's even worth it? I can probably loose weight without low carb as well so should i try and stay on low carb or just a caloric deficit?

Well done on your success so far.

Throughout life your tastes and eating habits will change. If you love your fruit now then eat fruit.

If you are struggling to stay low carb now, compared to the year just gone, then maybe it's time to move on and do something else.

As long as you are in a calorie deficit you will lose weight. I would say though you are probably going to find it a bit trickier losing the last bit of weight compared to the impressive 160 you've already lost (so you may need to be even stricter with yourself) - although that would be the same for a restricted carb diet or calorie counting/moderation (a restricted everything diet).

More power to your elbow.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    For me no Low Carb was never worth it because I lost the weight then put it on again quickly when I crashed and burned

For you .. 160lbs down .. way to go!

I would slowly increase my carbs .. bear in mind that you will put on water weight as you do so and not be afraid of this (could be up to 10lbs). Maybe go up a specified gramme amount per day .. weigh weekly and be patient .. until you find your sweet spot

for me low carb never worked long-term .. for you you can work towards a calorie defecit programme including all food groups from a great starting point .. I eat a diet that's 50-60% carbs and it works for me
  • maccarossi1
    maccarossi1 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    What actually counts as low carb? I eat minimal amounts of carbs at the moment (between 80-150g a day) and find it works for me really well. Still have days where I have more than that obviously if I have a few beers or something but 95% of the time I keep it low-ish.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    "Paleo diet that allows for 100 carbs a day and encourages ALL the fruits and vegetables you want."
    That makes no sense - so if all the fruits and vegetables you want comes to more than "100 carbs", then what?

"Other than that and carbs and sugars are a drug that you CHOOSE to not ingest."
    This makes even less sense than the first statement! The carbs in fruits and vegetables aren't drugs as long as you stay under a random daily allowance but if you get to 101 do they also become drugs?

• PrimroseFlower
    PrimroseFlower Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I tried low carb for about a month after Christmas. I don't even know if I did it right because I only lost about five pounds. I then rationalized that maybe this wasn't such a good idea since I was skipping healthy fruits and veggies just to stay at 5% carbs per day. Also, my school gives us fruit, so I had an abundance of oranges, apples, and melon all going to waste. So yes, I know low carb can promote weight loss, but at what cost. I think healthier balanced choices win every time. :D and ps, if I see another rotisserie chicken, I may gag. :neutral_face:
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    If it's unsustainable for you then it's no longer worth it and that's okay. If you add carbs back in I would do so slowly as you may gain a few pounds from fluids. This should level out so long as you stay in deficit. I don't think you're going to hurt yourself by consuming fruit. Most of us probably didn't gain weight eating apples. If you've found a knew love of eating healthy foods than I say it was a worthwhile way of eating.

Great job on the loss BTW.
  • Dragonflag07
    Dragonflag07 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Firstly that is a fantastic achievement. Eat fruit if you want to, you are not breaking anything. The main thing is to make sure you maintain the discipline that got you the success in the first place - so only you can know if the eating fruit isn't a symptom of a general relaxing once you get closer to goal. I don't know what your training has been like but if you want to step up the strength-based stuff, carbs intake helps with the workouts for sure. I've only ever hit PBs with a decent carb re-feed behind me and never carb depleted... Good luck and well done!
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options

Perhaps when he was losing 160 lbs. I get it, low carbers here get it. The popular stance is low carb is wrong unless you HAVE to do it. I do have to do it but what I don't understand is what is the difference if someone wants to or needs to?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I tried low carb for about a month after Christmas. I don't even know if I did it right because I only lost about five pounds. I then rationalized that maybe this wasn't such a good idea since I was skipping healthy fruits and veggies just to stay at 5% carbs per day. Also, my school gives us fruit, so I had an abundance of oranges, apples, and melon all going to waste. So yes, I know low carb can promote weight loss, but at what cost. I think healthier balanced choices win every time. :D and ps, if I see another rotisserie chicken, I may gag. :neutral_face:

I think the choice to eat the fruit and do a diet that worked better for you was a great one, but five pounds in a month-ish I'm guessing is pretty great. One year later you'd be down 60-ish.

• strozman
    strozman Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Try paleo or intermittent or alternate Day Fasting. You obviously saw a great loss with low carb, and that takes incredible dedication. I went from low carb to fasting and it is so much easier
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I do a "Paleo diet" that allows for 100 carbs a day and encourages ALL the fruits and vegetables you want.

Other than that and carbs and sugars are a drug that you CHOOSE to not ingest.

Uhhh no. Carbs and sugars are not a drug. Not at all.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    If your only issue is fruit, you can easily incorporate that into lc. Even in keto you can have fruit, it's just an issue of what kind and how often. It's the same choices you make without lc, do you have the blackberries for 43 calories and 4nc or do you have the banana for 89 calories and 20nc? How much else can you eat if you choose one over the other, and will it fill you up?

If you'd really rather just go back to all the carbs, keep in mind you have to add them slowly and be very aware of calorie density. The hardest part of transitioning from lc to not is getting used to the drastic decrease in food volume. It's where most people fail and decide lc was just "a fad". You'll need to be more militant about weighing and logging food accurately until you relearn how much you're allowed to eat in a day and what that feels like. Also be prepared for your hunger to return, so plan ahead for the first several weeks at least to have a lot of small snacks built into your eating to try and fight that, so you don't just say screw it every time you're hungry.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    IMO- People's cranky hangry butthead attitude is directly related to the number of carbs they are or aren't getting.