Time to switch up routine?

Options
Im a 30 year old female, 5'5, 270 lbs and headed into my 4th week of working out and consistently logging with MFP. I've lost about 10 lbs so far by doing 3 days of cardio and 3 days of strength training. My goal is to lose weight, keep the muscle I have and tone up.

Last week I noticed that instead of taking my usual hour to do a rotation on the strength machines it only took my 45 minutes. I think I'm getting used to the weight and number of reps. In order to reach my goal as mentioned above, do I continue on with no changes, up the weight or the reps?

With the cardio I typically just notice that I can push myself harder and harder each time so I don't currently feel like I'm in a rut there.

What's worked for you?

Replies

• joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Well, I've been told that if the weight you are lifting at seems easy, it's time to increase the weight. I just did that with my dumbbell routine I do...I went from 5 lbs. to 8 lbs. (that's the next increment the gym has) and jeez-a-loo, I can really feel the difference! So I'd say increase the weights (just to the next level) and see how you do.
  • teaspoon43
    teaspoon43 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    bump - I like the advice above but also looking for mutiple experiences :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Progress is about progressively increasing the stress on your system; faster, longer, heavier.

If you don't stress the system, you'll stagnate.
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    You want to constantly be challenging your body so progression in weight is essential, however not too fast!

Also doing only machines will not be optimal for your body, you might want to look into more free weight lifts.
  • fireguychris
    fireguychris Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    you lose alot of muscle use on machines.. free wieghts are much better for your body.. machines only allow straight lines.. and you gain no stabilization..
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/05/11/whats-better-free-weights-or-machines/
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    You are likely getting faster because you're getting stronger and because you've gotten into the swing of things (used to setting up the machines, etc.) You should aim to increase your reps and/or the reps on a regular basis. By "regular basis" I mean try for it every workout if you can. Are you following a written routine? Usually routines will tell you how to progress.

Free weights are great but machines are a completely valid choice. Don't be discouraged by the suggestions to not use them. Lyle McDonald has a good series on beginning weight training. He includes a plan for using machines.

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Up the weight.
  • teaspoon43
    teaspoon43 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I completely agree that free weights are better and I plan on switching to them in the coming months. As I'm only a month in, it's easier for me to know what machines and how much weight I do to keep a strict schedule.

If I increase the weight and not reps that will not make me bulky right? I heard both ways but mostly no not unless you have a lot of testosterone and try to bulk with supplements.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    teaspoon43 wrote: »
    If I increase the weight and not reps that will not make me bulky right?

Struggling to parse, but essentially it takes a long time and very focussed training, along with eating in surplus and managing bulk/ cut cycling to make you bulky.

In deficit, it's about retainin lean mass and reducing your bodyfat percentage.