Will power

Options
In my eyes this is the most important factor and the start point to anything in life let alone losing weight. I lost 44 pound during the past couple of years but recently ( a number of months ago) i started to stuff my face and binge like no tomorrow. After gaining some weight knew I couldn't continue like this and undo all the hard work.

Unfortunately it has been almost a month where I try to diet but failed after reaching the 3rd day. This has been going on for sometime. How does one raise his will power or get it back? As stupid as it sound, I'm sure there are few who went through what I'm going through.

Replies

• jessypug
    jessypug Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Yes! This! I've always had this problem. I'll start a new diet and be so excited for it and do well for the first week or so, then I just slip back into my old habits and gain all the weight back. The thing I've found that has really helped me over the last few months is going vegan. I can't eat a lot of the things that I used to crave or just goto when I couldn't be bothered to cook (chocolate, sweets, instant noodles etc). So now I have to put a little effort into planning meals. I've also found that volume-wise I eat a lot more than when I was dieting and I feel full and satisfied. It's been the best thing for me regarding health and weight loss :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    It's not about willpower in my book

it's about commitment and dedication

http://www.dumblittleman.com/2013/03/the-importance-of-dedication.html
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Yes. Willpower comes and goes, being consistent th when the willpower ebbs is more important.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    When you get to the point where you want it bad enough, you will have the necessary will power. If you can't make it past three days, you just don't want to lose bad enough.
  • MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

^^^ this - which to me equates to alot of Discipline
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    Yes, it happened to me in the past more times than I can count. Since joining MFP, however, it has not happened. I decided I wanted to be healthy and fit and was willing to put in the work to make that happen. Furthermore, I decided I wanted this to be a lifestyle change. Finally, I STOPPED dieting. I incorporated more fruits and veggies in my diet and cut back (didn't eliminate) junk food.

You can do it! According to motivational speaker Dr. Eric Thomas, "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breath, then you'll be successful."
  • Spocky
    Spocky Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Every day is a new day. You should eat about 6 times a day to avoid being very hungry. Junk food should be cut back to once it 2 weeks. If one day goes wrong think about what happened and change your diet the next day.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Spocky wrote: »
    Every day is a new day. You should eat about 6 times a day to avoid being very hungry. Junk food should be cut back to once it 2 weeks. If one day goes wrong think about what happened and change your diet the next day.

Every day is indeed a new day and so is every time you reach for food

Doesn't matter how often you eat

Eat junk food if and whenever you want and it fits within your defecit..in fact try not to label food good and bad

Look at your calories as money ...don't spend what you don't have ..save some for the weekend if you want
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    When you want it, when you're really ready to commit, then you'll go get it.