Getting healthy for my future family!

Options
Hi,

I've had a MFP account for a while, but haven't done much with it, but started using the forums so I figured I'd introduce myself!

I have always been overweight, well... since a young age when I was put on a lot of medications that caused weight gain. I was also very active, so while my eating habits weren't great, I was able to keep myself just overweight/chubby, and not overly obese. Then in university I sustained a neck injury that was pretty bad. I couldn't do much for a long time, and was on a lot of strong pain meds, and other medications. I rarely had proper sleep, due to the pain, and it was a few years before I was able to be semi-normal again. I am now able to move around ok, but live with chronic pain and nerve damage down my arms and in my face. I am also limited to low impact activities and will always have to be careful to not do anything to stress my neck. Because of all of this, I gained a lot of weight and became very unfit.

I moved to the UK, (from Canada) several years later and eventually met my husband here. This September I realised that if we wanted to try to start a family next year, that I should work on losing weight and getting healthy this year. I joined Slimming World and started eating right. I began walking a bit, and the pounds started coming off. I started going to the local pool for aqua fit and then tried swimming. I used to be a lifeguard, and play waterpolo, but since I hurt my neck, I hadn't gone. I have now worked my way up to a decent speed in the pool, and although certain strokes are difficult because of my neck, I am loving swimming again. The gym the pool is in offered me a great deal and so now I'm going to the gym and working out! I feel great knowing that I'm taking control back of my body, and not letting the pain and damage rule me.

I've started tracking my calories as in a couple months, I hope to move away from Slimming World. I've loved doing their programme, and feel like I've learned a lot. It was a good way for me to get started, and give me some structure, but now I feel like I can start doing it on my own.

I've lost 51.5 lbs so far, and I'm aiming to lose about 78.5 lb more. After that point, I'll see how I feel and re-evaluate my target. I know that I am doing the right thing for myself, and so that I can be healthy for any (hopeful) future pregnancies.

:)

Replies

• kerryeightysix
    kerryeightysix Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    That's so good to hear, that despite the hardships : you are working hard and not losing hope or giving in!! Well done xxx
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'm determined to not let anything become an excuse, but rather work within my limitations to improve myself.