Eating too healthy?

Options
Mdin1029
Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
Have any of you let go of some your eating "rules" from when you first started to be more healthy?

I have been at goal weight/size for 8 months now and over the past 2 years have been focused on exercising regularly and eating more veggies as well as fruit. I drink more water, buy organic produce, and enjoy a green smoothie for breakfast. I also cook at home a lot more often and try to make my own sauces and dressings rather than using processed prepacked ones. I also rarely eat beef.

The bad: I do have Pinkberry frozen yogurt (the original flavor with raspberry, honey granola, and chocolate chip toppings) about once a week. I also eat out about a once a week (sushi, pizza, Chinese, Thai,). I also stopped logging because I think I have a good idea of portions now.

The in between: I eat chicken with the skin sometimes, or rare occasion will drink a soda. and drink coffee with creamer (the really fake kind) about 4 times a week. I use stevia in my tea in coffee, and splenda if I don't have stevia on me. I also love cheese.

For a while I swore off orange juice (or any other fruit juice) as well as white bread and really limited pasta, potatoes, rice.

Lately I have been having orange juice 1-2 a week as well as pasta and sourdough bread. I do not see a difference in my weight/size, energy levels, or complexion.

Have any of you let go of some your eating "rules" from when you started to be more healthy?

Replies

• _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    Yes. Being "too healthy" is unsustainable, and too stressful. I never delved into full bore all organic/non-GMO but got as far as nothing but whole fruits and vegetables, nuts, and lean meats with no grains.

It is just not sustainable for me.

I'm much happier on "IIFYM" philosophies of eat a majority of healthy foods and working the not so healthy into my daily macronutrients while making sure I get all or most of my micronutrients from whole foods.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I've done this rodeo before, so I didn't eliminate much. I did try to eat at least one healthier meal a week at first, but am more sporadic about it now. Mostly portion control and general balanced eating.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Not really. I mean at first I avoided all sweets so I wouldn't binge on it, but I had no problem reintroducing them little by little. I just try and stay under my calories and limit myself to one 'bad' thing a day, and usually it's a 100 calories one (but some days I have two, I usually don't reach my goal anyway).
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Unless your goal is disease, there is no such thing as eating too healthy. But eating healthy does not mean only eating "healthy food".

I think the common use definition of healthy food would be food that is nutrient dense and eaten for the purpose of obtaining nutrients. It's good to incorporate many healthy foods into your diet, but also eating foods that do not fit that definition won't necessarily make you unhealthy.