First half marathon

Options
jrline
jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
I completed my first half marathon yesterday with a time of 2:03:48 on my 41st birthday. If someone had told me on my 38th birthday(when I was 250lbs) I would run a half marathon in three years I would have said shut the F up. Never stop trying and doing new things.

Replies

• SoFLpeg
    SoFLpeg Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! And now, I know you can do your first marathon, should you have the desire. I know because a year after my first half, I did a full and now have a second coming up in 3 weeks (and I am old enough to be your mom).

You are awesome!
  • mad_strawberry
    mad_strawberry Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Great!! Congratulations!! :smile:
  • jrline
    Options
    thanks I may do a full at some point here. I think 15k is my favorite distance as a whole
  • MissPhalange
    MissPhalange Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS! And happy birthday! What a great gift to yourself!
  • jrline
    Options
    Thanks I am sore today but that is to be expected. Before yesterday I had never gone further than 12 miles at one time.
  • hmrambling
    hmrambling Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That's awesome :)
  • GreatCthulhu
    GreatCthulhu Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Incredible! What an achievement, you must feel so proud. Well done
  • nkovacs1954
    nkovacs1954 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Outstanding! My wife and I are registered and have begin training for the half marathon in Yellowstone NP...She will run it, I'll jog and walk....can't wait
  • courtneybrooke27
    courtneybrooke27 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    This is amazing! Great work and congratulations!! Also, Happy Belated Birthday!
  • csk0018
    csk0018 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Great job! That's awesome!
  • paulanthony9596
    paulanthony9596 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Congrats and awesome job! I am planning my first half this year! Happy belated birthday!
  • jhall260
    jhall260 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Awesome, I was in similar shoes (albeit much younger so my body is more forgiving!). You should be very proud of yourself.
  • MrsMizart
    MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Lovely to read of your success :-)
  • jrline
    Options
    My time was doing a run/walk pattern. I Never outran myself. Thank you for all the encouragement.
  • shopewell70
    shopewell70 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    @jrline - what was your intervals setup? 3/1, 5/2 and was it by minutes or miles?
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    WOW - great time. Congratulations
  • jrline
    Options
    @shopewell70 I do not have an exact alternate pattern. I do have a Garmin watch and I look at it to see where my pace is I look at it as well as how I feel.
  • a_j_paterson
    a_j_paterson Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Congrats on doing the half. My first one I did by mistake!! I had just completed a 10K, and my mate just signed me up for the half. Without the extra training it hurt sooooo much. After that though I signed up for a marathon for the next year. Lots of training this time, and now I just love running.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Outstanding! My wife and I are registered and have begin training for the half marathon in Yellowstone NP...She will run it, I'll jog and walk....can't wait

I signed up for that one, too!!! It was supposed to be my first half at age 43, but I got laid off right after I signed up. I just got a new job and I don't know if I'll be able to take the time off to run or if I'll have to cancel.

Whether or not I ever run a half, every time I go for a run I get such a great feeling because I am doing something I never thought I'd be able to do. And I keep doing it because I never want to lose that feeling.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    jrline wrote: »
    @shopewell70 I do not have an exact alternate pattern. I do have a Garmin watch and I look at it to see where my pace is I look at it as well as how I feel.

Have you tried Garmin Connect? It will transfer your run data from your watch to their site and give you a map, splits, running time, save your runs in a spread sheet for review, keep track of your record of runs plus adding in other exercises/activities. I use it mostly for the record and split review.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!