Certain types of food for gaining weight?

Options
does anyone suggest any type of meal/food diet to Gain weight and how often to eat it daily?

I'm 20 and currently weigh 175 and goal is to hit 200 I know there are certain types of foods to balance out protein, carbs, etc. Just want to hear from others.

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    The foods that put you in a caloric surplus.

Simple, but true. There are no specific foods you need to eat, you just need to eat more than required to maintain.

Most people add carbs to make up the difference in their surplus; from what I've read this is because they are cheap, it provides increased energy (often required because of increased weight training), and they are tasty.

In addition to the above, fat and protein needs typically are recommended to be based off your body weight with 1g protein per pound lean body mass (or about 0.8g per pound body weight) and 0.35-0.4g of fat per pound body weight.

Those should be treated as minimums, and then fill in the rest as you like. Keep in mind that many people consider fat an protein to be filling, so another reason adding carbs can be a good idea.

Beyond that, eat what you like and what gets you to your goals.
  • hayhayboobooella
    Options
    At 175 pounds you should consume

175g of protein. This can come from chicken - fish - beef

350g of carbs. This can come from rice - sweet potatoe - yams - oats - pasta

58g of fats. This can come from flax seed oil - fish oil - avacado

This is 2622 calories. This needs to be consumed daily. Weigh your food to track exact.

Weigh yourself weekly, if no change after 2 weeks increase your calories by 200. Easy way to increase is to up the carbs.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    At 175 pounds you should consume

175g of protein. This can come from chicken - fish - beef

350g of carbs. This can come from rice - sweet potatoe - yams - oats - pasta

58g of fats. This can come from flax seed oil - fish oil - avacado

This is 2622 calories. This needs to be consumed daily. Weigh your food to track exact.

Weigh yourself weekly, if no change after 2 weeks increase your calories by 200. Easy way to increase is to up the carbs.
    Shouldn't calorie intake be based somewhat on activity level? Or do inactive people need to eat the same amount as someone who works out 8 times a week?
  • hayhayboobooella
    Options
    Yes that is correct. This is a base point. You need somewhere to start. Like i said, if in a week or two and you have seen no gain in weight, up your calories.

This works for me

189g of protein

378g carbs

63g fats

This is calculated using the same formula above.

• hayhayboobooella
    Options
    The foods i listed was a guideline. I was giving examples. I could go on but he originally asked - Certain types of food for gaining weight.

Generic numbers, possibly because its a formula that people use.

1 g of protein per pound of body weight per day

2 g of carbs per pound of body weight per day

1 g of healthy fats per 3 pounds of body weight per day
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    The foods i listed was a guideline. I was giving examples. I could go on but he originally asked - Certain types of food for gaining weight.

Generic numbers, possibly because its a formula that people use.

1 g of protein per pound of body weight per day

2 g of carbs per pound of body weight per day

1 g of healthy fats per 3 pounds of body weight per day
    Except there are no "certain foods for gaining"

There is only surplus- or no surplus.

Look- you can have a perfect macro split all day long... but if you are not in surplus- it means diddle squat.

Surplus first- worry about your macros second.
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I agree with above statement, Make sure you're taking in more than your set daily caloric intake, I think that this app does a pretty good job with this. Use this as your benchmark and then adjust accordingly. Although that formula above does usually work. Be patient, that's the key too. Don't aim so high otherwise you will make yourself a steep mountain that you can't physically climb. Just go for the number and try to exceed it the best you can and weigh yourself weekly.
  • hayhayboobooella
    Options
    Agree fully. I was giving examples of food he could eat. Yes you have to be in a surplus. Those are foods i eat to be in a surplus and works well for me.