So I Finished C25K...Now What??

This morning I had my biggest NSV to date--I finished Couch to 5K! I never thought I would be able to say I could run 30 minutes straight, and definitely didn't know if I could complete the program after epically failing/giving up on it back before I started watching my calorie intake.

Anyway, now that it's over, I am kind of at a loss for what to do next. I don't know if I am ready for Bridge to 10K, although that's certainly something I'd like to pursue eventually. I don't know if I should focus more on trying to increase my speed, since I only run on the treadmill at 5 MPH (definitely not qualifying for any Olympics any time soon, lol).

I guess I'm wondering what those who have also graduated from the program went on to do after, and if they have any suggestions for me! Thanks in advance everyone! :)

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    edited February 2015
    sign up for some races or fun runs and keep running. I did C25K way back when...signed up for a few races and kept working on my running...then decided I wanted to try for a sprint triathlon. I ended up injuring myself during my training, but in the process I fell in love with my bike.

I don't really run anymore, I primarily ride...though I do dabble in cyclocross racing in the fall and I have to run a little for that...but only quick sprints...

Cyclocross.JPG
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Just start running. Map out routes around your neighborhood and focus on distances instead of times. Try to work your way up to having 3-5 miles be an average run. Once that's normal you don't even need to think about a training program for a 10k because you'll be able to do one in your sleep.
  • RunsForFood
    RunsForFood Posts: 110 Member

I'd say sign up for some 5k races. But basically just do what you want, and what feels good! Everyone is different and likes different distances. I started with C25K, and ran a ton of 5ks. Then I trained for the 10k. Now I am in love with half marathons. I'll make it to a full one day, but right now I just love 13.1!
    Have fun, and any distance will be the right distance :)
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Increasing speed comes from running more miles. I'd recommend starting Bridge to 10K—you might find you like it! I actually did one of Hal Higdon's 10K plans after finishing C25K. Completed that at the beginning of January and now I'm deep in the midst of half-marathon training.

If you like racing, start racing! You can really go anywhere after C25K, which is part of what makes it so great.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    I did C25K, moved on to C210K, then trained for half marathons and now for marathons...all within 8 months. I ran races from 10ks, to 10k trail races to half marathons. I never thought I could do that! Just one piece of advice: as you are still a newbie and so am I, do not run on two consecutive days! I had an overuse injury due to that.
    Best wishes
    Stef.
  • kennorth1
    kennorth1 Posts: 1 Member
    Keep going for sure!!!!! and congratulation on your success. Find friends who are also running with the same goals as you and I would strongly recommend signing up for another running program or race in the near future. Respect your rest days to avoid injury and if you strive for 10k then don't add more than 10% to your distance as you head for that personal achievement. Good luck in your journey ahead.
  • DsAdvocate
    DsAdvocate Posts: 93 Member
    When I finished it I started doing intervals. I jogged normal pace then sprinted as fast as I could as long as I could then went back to normal jogging speed. Once recovered I'd sprint again. Changes up the run a bit.
  • mbcieslak87
    mbcieslak87 Posts: 206 Member
    I have been running off and on for years and find that I personally like to keep it interesting by varying my "types" of runs throughout the week. It has been a way that I don't get burned out on running nearly as quickly and also am able to increase distance and speed at the same time.
    I usually devote Mondays to playing with speed (I do this on a treadmil and increase every 3-5 minutes for a medium (according to your current abilities) distance.), incline on Wednesdays (this is my shortest distance of the week and I typically do it outside in a hilly neighborhood, but can be done on a treadmill too if the weather outside is nasty... you just can't go downhill on a treadmill, so it doesn't get as many muscles.), and Fridays I do my longest runs (I only work half days on Fridays, so this might not be feasible for you - possibly a Saturday morning would be a better option, especially as the distances get longer and longer.)
    For me, this has been a way to keep running interesting and I seem to be able to constantly improve. My long distance runs are now much faster than the used to be, even though their distance is constantly getting longer.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    You guys have beat me to it. Sign up for a fun run! My goal is survival, not winning. I am following a structured routine to get me ready for my first 5K, and I ran/walked forty minutes this weekend.
  • abbeyjones1994
    abbeyjones1994 Posts: 188 Member
    Thank you so much for the advice everyone! I downloaded the 10K app just a few minutes ago so it's there when I get the courage to use it, haha. I think I would enjoy that one more outside though--using the treadmill for C25K was starting to get tedious. In the meantime I think I'm going to find some fun runs to sign up for to give me some things to look forward to and to encourage me to keep running!
  • gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Congratulations!!!!

I definitely second (third, fourth?) the suggestions to get in a race. It's a whole different dynamic running outside with a big group than running by yourself...especially on a treadmill.

I'm betting you find the jump to 10k much easier than the progression of the C2k5 program. To me the C2k5 program is about giving your body an aerobic base to run 30 minutes. It seems like once you get that down, adding another 5 minutes every few runs comes really easy....your body just gets in a cruise control mode. :)
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Do not start the 5k2c program.
  • abbeyjones1994
    abbeyjones1994 Posts: 188 Member
    Camo_xxx wrote: »
    Do not start the 5k2c program.

Oh no that is definitely not in the plan! I am not about that couch potato life anymore. Lol.

And thank you @gabbo34‌ for your additional support of signing up for runs! I think I'm a little nervous to run in a group of people because I take it slow as steady (to put it nicely lol) but as someone else said I'm not in it to win it. I have a heart condition and improving my cardio health has always been first and foremost on my reasons to lose weight and get fit. I hope continuing to like running as much as I do now will assist in that. :)
  • Noeyfit
    Noeyfit Posts: 8 Member
    c210k
  • mvexplorer
    mvexplorer Posts: 37 Member
    I would suggest trying to run outside as well. You have done a GREAT acchomplishment!! Now it's time to take it to the streets!
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    I just finished c25k last week and moved onto the 10k version. My goal is to increase my pace and as others mentioned in this thread, the advice I got was to increase mileage. Definitely try transitioning to running outdoors. I can't imagine an hour on a treadmill!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    I must say that I concur about not following 5k2c. But I must admit that after my first half marathon I went to the couch for most of the rest of the day. That turned out to be a bad idea later when I tried to go out to a show that evening. It was painful to walk I was so stiff! So the moral of the story...don't even do a half2c.