not being sore after a work out- does that mean I didn't push myself hard enough?

Options
I worked out intensely last night but I woke up and I'm not sore like I usually am. Does that mean my workout wasn't successful?

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    no.
  • lydbabes1994
    Options
    Nope not at all
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I did a pretty intense weights workout for the first time in a long time on Saturday. I didn't really start to feel it until Sunday evening.
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Congrats! You're getting into shape!
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    A new workout leaves me sore afterwards for maybe two days. After that, if I'm sore, it's because my form was off that day, or I was doing it wrong in the beginning. If I feel like jello for 20-30 after a workout, I feel I worked to my full potential. But soreness, nah
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Well, as someone who almost has some kind of DOMS, I would say yes, for ME, it typically means I didn't push myself enough. But I am one that ALWAYS gets DOMS, so when I don't, it's highly suspect.

If you sometimes get them and sometimes not, it probably doesn't mean much of anything. Some people never get them, despite having great workouts.
  • wrecktechno
    wrecktechno Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    If you're asking if you worked out hard enough, you didn't work out hard enough.
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you asked this question. I started a new workout program (You Are Your Own Gym) a few weeks ago and was only sore the first time or maybe first two times, but I am seeing results. It's good to know you don't have to be sore after each workout to ensure you have worked out vigorously.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    No. I no longer get sore unless it was a really hilly race. I think its an efficiency and form thing. I also continually increase my weights as I get stronger, but still no soreness afterwards
  • jessthep1rate
    jessthep1rate Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I sometimes don't feel sore from an intense workout until two days after..
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to produce pain, you failed. If your goal is to get stronger or fitter, probably not.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I actually am really glad you asked this. Because I historically have gotten miserably sore after workouts...but with heavy lifting, even when I really push...I only get a wee bit sore.

I'm seeing strength gains. I'm seeing differences in how my body looks. I'm seeing my body fat % fall and even my weight drop as I get more sinewy in body comp. But, I'm not sore.

I have been blissfully assuming that this means I finally found the workout that my body wants. I am stubbornly refusing to believe otherwise. Neener.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    If you're asking if you worked out hard enough, you didn't work out hard enough.

Yep, myself and people that I know who work out hard have DOMS. It will go away in a day or so.
  • dbmata
    Options

^ ja.
    I've had workouts where I'm shaky and crampy for a day later, no doms, because I was accustomed to it. Didn't mean I didn't attempt to commit suicide.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Nutrition pre and post workout can also effect soreness. I take a post workout recovery accelerator (all natural plant based). I also stretch, foam roll and soak my body. And I rarely get sore. Unless I go Beast Mode x10 like yesterday. I've been unable to move all day. A lot of times its day 2 that is the worst.

If you need to feel soreness then go do something crazy and use muscles like you havent for awhile. You can still have a great workout and not get sore.

Best of Luck!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    You probably should be feeling DOMS after some of your workouts.

Although it can be alarming for new exercisers, delayed onset muscle soreness is a normal response to unusual exertion and is part of an adaptation process that leads to greater stamina and strength as the muscles recover and build hypertrophy).

From this article: http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/injuries/a/doms.htm
  • terricherry2
    terricherry2 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Personally I would say no. I pushed myself further and faster on my run last night and I'm not sore this morning. I just take it as my body becoming more efficient in my workout. I'm sure when I go to my first ever lifting session on Thursday I'll be sore as hell the next day because it's new for me.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    What's the definition of "sore", anyway?

Seriously. I get two kinds. One is a yep, I can feel I worked that muscle and it twinges a bit. I live more or less in a continual state of this when I am working out.

Then there's the tight muscles and interfere with range of motion, hobbling when I first start to move kind of sore.

I rather avoid the second.
  • dbmata
    Options
    light DOMS this morning. Better then yesterday where I woke up to both my traps cramping.