skipping breakfast

Options
2»

Replies

• hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    some individuals will report perceived health implications they feel they experience with skipping breakfast (fogginess/tiredness/irritability things of that type).

Many people (me included) don't like to eat until hours after they wake up and feel perfectly fine doing so.

But as you can see from the posts so far I don't think anyone knows of any solid, scientifically-backed "health implications" like it will give you cancer/rob you of muscle/give you a heart attack/give you diabetes/etc.

So it's pretty much just how you feel about it and how it makes you feel. If you pass out doing it I'd probably advise against it ;)
  • livingnova
    Options
    I LOVE breakfast. It is my favorite meal and usually includes my favorite foods (including my one coffee of the day). Honestly, I am not a morning person, so I usually use breakfast as a reward for getting out of bed. Though I did notice that I had to change WHAT I was eating, as I was using too many calories too early. My days were happy, but my dinners were sad.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Here's how I look at it. Since you phrased your question the way you did about health related, I see it as less optimal to not eat breakfast, or more to the case of ingesting some protein (if this is your first meal of the day after a long period of not eating). Your body has reserves for carbs called Glycogen that can be called upon, reserves for fat called Adipose tissue. Your reserve for protein is muscle. Who wants to cannibalize their existing muscle tissue due to not having amino acids in their system? Not me.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Are there any health implications of not eating breakfast ?

I'm not talking about weight loss. I understand calories in, calories out - as long as I eat at a deficit I'll lose weight. I am assuming that I will be able to keep to my calories and lose weight.

If I was to eat the same food but just start eating after midday, would there be any health implications (non weight related) ?

Thanks

For the vast majority of people no there aren't health implications. For people like me (hypoglycemic) yes there are major health implications of not eating regularly. I HATE eating first thing in the morning and find that solid foods make me nauseous all day if I eat to soon after getting up. Instead I drink a protein shake (with fruit) so I get enough carbs to raise my glucose levels. Do what works for YOU.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Are there any health implications of not eating breakfast ?

No, assuming you don't have a condition like diabetes. Many people successfully lose weight by practicing "Intermittent Fasting," in which food is eaten in a limited time window. You should look up some sites, and there's at least one group here.