Alcohol and dieting

Options
Does anyone drink alcohol every day even if it's not a lot? Or have you cut back in alcohol to lose weight?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    A lot of people drink alcohol. Make it fit into your calories.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I drank wine most days while I was losing.
  • dhammondtx
    dhammondtx Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do 5 oz red wine mixed with 5 oz soda. Makes it look like more and doesn't taste too bad. It's 100 calories. And by soda, I mean the sparkling mixer, not Cokes or something. I'm not crazy about soda, but it has no calories.
  • Jasonmylis
    Jasonmylis Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    If you are a guy, beer increases estrogen production and in turn reduces testosterone, which will make it tougher to lose belly fat. Also, alcohol turns to sugar in the blood stream and affects insulin response. It is best to avoid alcohol altogether in my opinion, but at the least it should definitely be consumed in scarce moderation if you are trying to lose fat or build muscle.
  • roady29
    roady29 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I fit a glass of wine in most nights...maybe a few more on a Friday night ;)
  • TwinsRaGift
    TwinsRaGift Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    If I am going to have a drink I prefer to go with hard liquor and a mixer for fewer calories. An ounce of rum for example is something like 65 calories. Then add in diet soda for zero calories. You can make a pretty large drink for around 65 - 120 calories. For me if I am getting more volume for the calories I feel like I am getting more of what I want and I do not feel deprived of anything.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I drink one Mich Ultra a night on most nights. It's good for my blood pressure. ;) (maybe science, maybe not ... but the act of drinking that one beer does calm the transition from work to home, so I'm going with it) At less than 100 calories, I just fit it in.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Drinking your calories isn't a good idea. Fermenting it before hand just adds more problems.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    When I first started I cut alcohol out until I had lost the first 15 pounds, then I added it back if it fit in my calories. I have since cut it out again, but that is because I am training for a 12K and I have noticed that alcohol effects my run times. Personally I don't think that anything "needs" to be cut out to lose weight as long as you can fit it in your daily calorie goals.
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I drink maybe twice a month at most. Use to be every weekend but it was interfering with my progress.
  • gostumpy
    gostumpy Posts: 156 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Beer has been and is continuing to be the biggest hurdle for my weight loss journey... I have cut down from probably 15 per week to closer to 8.. I can see myself lowering that a bit more, but think of it this way, when I drank 15+ beer a week that is 2400+ calories per WEEK, or over 10,000 calories per month in BEER. Even at one per day that's 1000 calories per week, but that is far more manageable to fit in my daily numbers..

Looking at those numbers helps me cut down, because I still want to eat my calories with healthy food, and I don't want to cut out food because I drink...

• 4leighbee
    Options
    ^^ you make me sad. This is like learning that Oreos contain animal by-product. No one wants to know that. Sigh.
    (No, I'm kidding - I'm sure this is a great motivator to reduce alcohol consumption.)
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    A lot of people drink alcohol. Make it fit into your calories.

We are not included in this. LOL But yeah make it fit and keep moving OP.
  • gostumpy
    gostumpy Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with the sentiment of make it fit, HOWEVER, I'm sure I'm not the only one that consistently goes over due to alcohol..
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Drinking your calories isn't a good idea. Fermenting it before hand just adds more problems.

Seems like the medical community (especially cardiologists) don't agree with you. A glass of beer/wine a day (up to 2 a day for men) is considered a healthy habit that decreases your risk of heart disease.

Of course the calories need to fit. I have a glass of red wine nearly every day. I sometimes skip a day if I'm having trouble fitting in everything I want to eat.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Seems like the medical community (especially cardiologists) don't agree with you. A glass of beer/wine a day (up to 2 a day for men) is considered a healthy habit that decreases your risk of heart disease.

Of course the calories need to fit. I have a glass of red wine nearly every day. I sometimes skip a day if I'm having trouble fitting in everything I want to eat.

Check the age range on the bold. I'm sure little kids don't need to follow that.

• Jasonmylis
    Jasonmylis Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I had to cut out the alcohol in order to start losing weight, because whenever I drank I would get the urge to snack on things like nachos and pizza at like 11pm at night.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

For you?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Check the age range on the bold. I'm sure little kids don't need to follow that.
    Sorry, but, "duh"? Especially given: "men". :D
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    Jasonmylis wrote: »
    I had to cut out the alcohol in order to start losing weight, because whenever I drank I would get the urge to snack on things like nachos and pizza at like 11pm at night.

Good point!