So many Avocados so little time

Options
cdlee05
cdlee05 Posts: 718 Member
I always add half an avocado to my scrambled eggs in the morning but the window for them being fresh is so short I always have a few extra that I need to use fast.

Looking for ideas on how to use up these bad boys - and if you have a healthy guac recipe what alternative is good to dip with besides chips???

Replies

• farberry
    farberry Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Make amazing creamy vegan pasta sauce! Blend half an avocado with half a clove of raw garlic (more if you want it strong), fresh basil, seasoning, and if needed thin it down with a bit of the starchy pasta cooking water. Then toss with cooked wholewheat spaghetti. I normally add olives, sundried tomatoes, fresh veg, some tinned beans for extra protein etc. So good!
    Recipe by this amazing lady; http://ohsheglows.com/2011/01/31/15-minute-creamy-avocado-pasta/
  • fifty6ford
    fifty6ford Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Chocolate Avocado Truffles!! I made these Saturday! Yummy!!
    http://apple-of-my-eye.com/2013/08/06/dark-chocolate-avocado-truffles/

I also read avocados can be frozen, puree, add a little lemon or lime juice and freeze. Over the weekend I froze 5, pureed them, used an ice cream scoop to portion them onto waxed paper on a cookie sheet. Popped them in the freezer till solid then placed them in a zip top bag. Now if I want avocado for something, I've got it!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I do believe you can freeze scooped and pitted avocados in Ziplocs and save them for later. Soups, guacamole, sandwich spreads or salad dressings would all work fine with previously frozen avocado.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I put Mexican seasoning on chicken breast, put a blob of guac on top, then cover with white cheese (your favourite) - either a slice or shredded. (I used Havarti)

Start by cooking your chicken most of the way through, then top with the guac and the cheese and broil until done. It's delicious!

And FYI, guacamole freezes quite well, so you can make a lot and freeze smaller portions :)

You can also spread avocados on bread, like butter (particularly if over ripe a bit). They taste great in wraps and smoothies too.

Or heck, dip it in a little soy sauce as you eat it just as it is and it'll remind you of sushi!

Or make sushi...
  • cdlee05
    cdlee05 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I guess I never realized they freezed well, I'm going to have to try that!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    They actually keep well in the refrigerator for a few days. I cut them in half, but don't discard the seed. Whatever part has been exposed to the air will turn brown from oxidation, but you can just scrape that little bit away with a knife. Everything else behind it will remain green and fresh. I generally use a quarter at a time and keep for up to 4 days.
  • heather_hearts_travel
    Options
    +1 for fridge storage. I have half an avocado for breakfast almost every day. I buy several at a time, and put the whole bag of them in the fridge. They can last a while if they aren't already overripe when you buy them.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    cdlee05 wrote: »
    I guess I never realized they freezed well, I'm going to have to try that!

I freeze them all of the time but be aware it does change the consistiency somewhat and works better if your using them mashed in something as opposed to just sliced or cubed and eaten with something after being frozen (my thought at least).
  • tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Cut in half. Leave in seed. Run flesh under water. Wrap in tight plastic bag.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Lately half has been in my smoothie. :)
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    If you can prevent air from touching the surface of the avocado flesh it will keep longer. I have had the most success squeezing lime or lemon juice over the surface and pressing plastic wrap against the surface. I hear you can vacuum seal, turn upside down in water or freeze. Here is the guacamole recipe I use.

Guacamole+2.JPG

soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/05/guacamole.html

They are also delicious in gazpacho, salad dressing, verde sauce, hummus, chicken salad, potato salad. As long as there is some acid (lemon, lime, vinegar, mayo, etc.) it will keep a bit longer.
  • SAS134
    SAS134 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    To keep your avocado from going brown , cut it in half use what you need. Then to store the rest of it, pour some lemon juice in a storage container, put the remainder of the avocado pit side down in the lemon juice. ( I like reusing the containers from Healthy Choice deli meat. )
  • peaceful_minion
    peaceful_minion Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I buy the 5-6# avocado bags all the time. When they are at the perfect ripeness I'll smash them up with a little bit of lemon juice and freeze them in the little 4oz mason jars. The texture when thawed changes only a tiny bit. And the top will be only very slightly browned. But yes, they do freeze well. :)
  • jessmm1229
    Options
    I use frozen avocado in smoothies. Makes them very creamy and delicious.