Exercise is BOOORRING!!! What to do?

Options
Currently, my strategy is: slog through it.
And I do. But man oh man, I would rather get cavities filled.
Does it ever get more enjoyable? Anything I can do so that I look forward, at least a little bit, to exercise time?

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Find an exercise you love to do. Also sometimes you just got to do it like
    Cool-Nike-Logo-Just-Do-It-Wallpaper-640x435.jpg

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    What exercise are you doing?

To me, "exercise is boring" is similar to "I don't like vegetables." Do you really think that all exercise in the entire world is boring? There's no physical activity (or vegetable) in existence that you would enjoy?
  • rebeccalenk
    Options
    Right now I run, or walk or do eliptical. Again, I go, and it gets done, but I don't look forward to it. So, those are tolerable, but not enjoyable.
    I've done a variety of classes, but I never enjoyed them.
    I DO enjoy swimming, but I can't incorporate that into a daily workout.
    And I DO enjoy bicycling, but only outdoors, and it's 8 degrees and icy out today so...bicycling for me is a spring/summer/fall event.
    I've even tried snowshoeing and cross country skiing! I enjoyed the cross country skiing, but, again, not a realistic daily activity.
    Right now I download podcasts and listen to them while I run or walk or eliptical, hoping that my desire to hear the end will get me through, and it DOES help some.
    I read people on here say they look forward to exercise, and I want to know what they are doing differently than me!
  • rebeccalenk
    Options
    I do, however, like all vegetables. :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    What exercise are you doing?

To me, "exercise is boring" is similar to "I don't like vegetables." Do you really think that all exercise in the entire world is boring? There's no physical activity (or vegetable) in existence that you would enjoy?

This. Find something you enjoy. If you don't you'll only do it now while you're "dieting" and then that will be the end of it. Which, I suppose is okay. Fwiw, I listen to murder mysteries while running and while lifting. Hubs watches netflix on the treadmill.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Right now I run, or walk or do eliptical. Again, I go, and it gets done, but I don't look forward to it. So, those are tolerable, but not enjoyable.
    I've done a variety of classes, but I never enjoyed them.
    I DO enjoy swimming, but I can't incorporate that into a daily workout.
    And I DO enjoy bicycling, but only outdoors, and it's 8 degrees and icy out today so...bicycling for me is a spring/summer/fall event.
    I've even tried snowshoeing and cross country skiing! I enjoyed the cross country skiing, but, again, not a realistic daily activity.
    Right now I download podcasts and listen to them while I run or walk or eliptical, hoping that my desire to hear the end will get me through, and it DOES help some.
    I read people on here say they look forward to exercise, and I want to know what they are doing differently than me!

One is weight training. Another is making fitness goals to accomplish. I want to get stronger or faster or last longer.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    You really hate running, swimming, hiking, basketball, football, tennis, badminton, baseball, soccer, volleyball, laser tag, frisbee, canoeing, kayaking, skiing, snowboarding, roller blading, skateboarding, biking, handball, martial arts, hockey, gymnastics, tag, climbing, dancing, golfing, ice skating, lacrosse and a thousand other things I'm missing?

Maybe you're the boring one? :wink:
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    If your exercise is boring, you're doing it wrong. Shorten the duration. If you're lifting weights, limit yourself to 60 minutes, and lift heavy. It's impossible to be bored lifting a weight that takes everything you've got to squeak out 6 reps. If you're doing cardio, limit yourself to 30 minutes and do high intensity intervals. Again, it's not possible to be bored when it feels like your lungs are about to explode.

When most people talk about exercise being boring I think what they really mean is that they're too lazy to properly challenge themselves.

BTW, there's nothing wrong with long distance endurance cardio like running a 10k or half marathon, but the people into that type of exercise are typically anything but bored. They enjoy it.
  • rebeccalenk
    Options
    I also find ellipticals, walking, etc, boring, and I find many workout classes boring. I fell in love with classes like boxing, judo, and rock climbing, and if I'm working out on my own, I'm not bored if I'm lifting heavy weight. I think the key for me is if I have to focus my brain on the workout as well, because it's skill-based, then I won't feel bored. If my mind is wandering I will be bored for sure.

Good strategy, thank you. :)
  • rebeccalenk
    Options
    One is weight training. Another is making fitness goals to accomplish. I want to get stronger or faster or last longer.
    [/quote]

Thank you!
  • markjacobs1987
    markjacobs1987 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    If you're doing the same thing over and over try switching it up a bit. If you go to a gym that has classes that's an option. Home workouts are another option. Find a way to make it fun and you'll stick with it. Tony Horton's youtube channel is a great source for free workouts you can use to switch it up. He posts a new workout weekly and has plenty of variety.
  • rebeccalenk
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    You really hate running, swimming, hiking, basketball, football, tennis, badminton, baseball, soccer, volleyball, laser tag, frisbee, canoeing, kayaking, skiing, snowboarding, roller blading, skateboarding, biking, handball, martial arts, hockey, gymnastics, tag, climbing, dancing, golfing, ice skating, lacrosse and a thousand other things I'm missing?

I AM boring! :)
    Of that list, swimming and skiing are the ones I enjoy, but I can't really do those daily, at least not without a larger time commitment than I am able to make!! :)
    I enjoy roller skating (not blading), but that's not really a workout, it's fun, but I can't get going very fast in the rink, so I don't think my heart rate does anything spectacular.

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I don't look forward to exercise, in fact all my life I have said I was allergic to it. But, when push came to shove, and I had to find something, I tried all kind of things until I found things I could endure and grew to like.

I do aqua fit, Zumba, belly dancing, Pilates, nerd fitness body weight training, stationary rowing, just learnt to swim, and just started lifting, heavy for me= Olympic bar dead lifts.

I find running/walking the most boring so don't do them unless I am training for a 10k. Maybe signing up for one will give you a goal and make it more interesting.

I know you've tried things, but just keep trying.
    Cheers, h.
  • rebeccalenk
    Options
    jim180155 wrote: »
    If your exercise is boring, you're doing it wrong. Shorten the duration. If you're lifting weights, limit yourself to 60 minutes, and lift heavy. It's impossible to be bored lifting a weight that takes everything you've got to squeak out 6 reps. If you're doing cardio, limit yourself to 30 minutes and do high intensity intervals. Again, it's not possible to be bored when it feels like your lungs are about to explode.

When most people talk about exercise being boring I think what they really mean is that they're too lazy to properly challenge themselves.

BTW, there's nothing wrong with long distance endurance cardio like running a 10k or half marathon, but the people into that type of exercise are typically anything but bored. They enjoy it.

Good thinking...my cardio goal is 60 minutes a day, but maybe I should shorten it to 30 min, and instead of alternating weight days with cardio, I do some of each on each day.
    Switching activities more frequently might do it!
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Sounds like for winter time, you need to keep looking for an exercise you enjoy. While I love running, I only enjoy it outside, and don't let weather stop me (but I live where it rarely snows). Indoor running constantly would drive me batty.

For a gym/indoors, weightlifting is for me. Totally different feel than any cardio exercise, and is what is getting me stronger. While lifting a weight, I have to focus on form, so there's no "boredom" because I can't afford to get distracted. Like running, I feel great after a good strength training workout.

I'd say try experimenting with various strength training workouts until you find one you like.

Congrats on "getting through it" with the exercises you're not liking. Shows good determination.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I see you have received similar responses to what I will say, but I'll still say it: Set goals for yourself.

For example- I started the Couch to 5K program three weeks ago. I was just getting on the elliptical for 30 minutes, doing some random weights, etc and also dreaded gym time. I now have a goal. Each day I get to complete a day of training and move toward the next level of the program. It makes me so excited to go each day, to tick another day off of my training to do be a little better at running. I want to jog an entire 5K in May, so every time I go to the gym, I know I'm one step closer to that. I seriously do not dread it any more. I actually got up at 445 and went to the gym this morning. I never would have done that for the elliptical.

Now, I am not suggesting that running, 5Ks, treadmills, or anything of the like are something you would be interested in. Just saying that once I set a goal for myself, I was totally excited about doing it. Just like with food- my GOAL is to weigh less each week, so I don't dread eating within my calorie goal and not stuffing my face. I look forward to weighing in at the end of the week. Goals are good!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I don't really expect to be having a great time. It is only 30 minutes to an hour out of my day to take care of my body like I do when I brush my teeth.
    I do enjoy that my body is getting stronger and more flexible.
    I do workout videos off of you tube for variety.
  • AngelsFan91106
    AngelsFan91106 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I hated exercise my entire life. Seriously. hated. I still did it though so I "won't be fat." I then discovered heavy lifting. It changed my life, my outlook, and my body. Now, I go to the gym 3-4x/week. And I look forward to going EVERY time. If you're at all interested, look into Strong Lifts 5x5.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    jim180155 wrote: »

Good thinking...my cardio goal is 60 minutes a day, but maybe I should shorten it to 30 min, and instead of alternating weight days with cardio, I do some of each on each day.
    Switching activities more frequently might do it!

I like your attitude, but I'd suggest sticking with alternating between lifting and cardio days. You get more variety that way. You could further mix things up by splitting your lift days into push/pull/leg days so that each muscle group gets worked hard, but only gets worked once a week. I find myself looking forward to my lift days by first thinking of what routine I'm going to do the following morning, and then setting my goals on getting just one more rep or bumping the weight up one more increment.

Full disclosure: I tend to blow off cardio days. I like bike riding outside and this year I've learned to like running. But the exercise bike in my basement is just not as much fun.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »

I AM boring! :)
    Of that list, swimming and skiing are the ones I enjoy, but I can't really do those daily, at least not without a larger time commitment than I am able to make!! :)
    I enjoy roller skating (not blading), but that's not really a workout, it's fun, but I can't get going very fast in the rink, so I don't think my heart rate does anything spectacular.

i can understand why most people couldn't ski daily, but if you have pool access why couldn't you swim daily without a larger time commitment?

Also, you don't NEED to exercise every day. Yes, it is a healthy habit. But in the long run it is better to do something you enjoy and will stick with three days a week than to do things you hate 7 days a week and burn out and give up completely out of boredom.

Swim when you can, add in a walk/run/elliptical/whatever on some days you can't. Add in some resistance training on occasion for balance.