Training for first 5k

Options
I'm trying to train for my first 5k. I've been using the c25k program, but am having trouble even getting through the first day.
I'm looking for ways to increase my endurance, so I can continue jogging and not feeling like I'm on fire, and my stamina so I can just keep going. Any advice?

Replies

• brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Slow down your pace.

Odds are, you're going too fast for your current endurance level. Even if it feels like you could walk faster, run as slow as it takes to get through whatever distance (or time) each run interval has for you.

It takes some adjusting, but you'll find a pace that you can do. It's best to go at a pace where you can hold a "conversation" while running.

You'll eventually get faster, but when you're first starting out, it's all about going slow so that you can finish the distance/time interval.
  • VincitQuiSeVincit
    VincitQuiSeVincit Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Go slower! I have done C25K a few times (and again now) and each time I go through it, I increase my speed. I also SWORE my first time through I was never going to make it, but now I can run a 5K, but it's an almost 40 minute 5k (12 minute miles). I am aiming for 10 minute miles now. My first time through it, I was running at 4.3-4.5 MPH on the treadmill and I could walk faster than that and I felt silly, but running stresses the body very differently than walking. Take your time and take it slow.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I've never been able to stay with a training plan. I'd have to make an 8 week one 16 weeks. I am very slow to gain ground. My suggestions would be to keep moving, and focus on time rather than miles. Walk when you need to walk. Be patient with your self. Every step is a small victory. You will get there. Running just sux, but for some reason its extremely gratifying when you conquer that mile. Then you want another. ;)
  • lindzgayle
    lindzgayle Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above posters.
    Also, HIIT sprints are supposed to be very good for increasing endurance while on regular runs.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Sprints and find a hill to hate on! God I hate hills. But they do build endurance... Makes you wanna run flat ground for miles and miles with no complaining.
  • sammi_williams
    sammi_williams Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'll start off slower and work up from there. :)
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Sprints and find a hill to hate on! God I hate hills. But they do build endurance... Makes you wanna run flat ground for miles and miles with no complaining.

LOL. I don't think that doing hill repeats is a good idea for someone starting C25K.

Hj8vzVt.jpg
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Those telling you to slow down are correct. Sprints and hill repeats are great ways for runners to improve...but you actually have to get to that 'runner' level first. Good luck!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Oh definitely slow down. No one told me this, so by the time I ran it (December) I was surprised at how much slower everyone was running.