Having a hard time gainning weight!

Options
Hello everyone! I'm a 19 y/o male, and my goal this year is to gain a little more weight and muscle mass, but there just seems to be several issues for me... I'm currently 126lbs, and my goal is to be at least 135, but it's not working out for me. I use the app to keep track of my eating habits, and I'm also eating a little less than I'm supposed to in order to gain more weight. The thing is though, it's pretty expensive to eat more, and I don't know exactly what to eat that has a lot of calories, but at the same time, is healthy for me. I also burn more a lot of calories throughout the day, because I'm always active... Especially when I go to the gym, or just when I feel like going for a nice run or walk through the park.
I would like some help/advice/tips(or whatever anyone can offer me pleas), to stick to my goals, and start consuming more so I can gain healthy weight, so I can build some muscle and look healthier. Not really looking to become chunky or anything, just more muscular.

Replies

• nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    Options
    I'd start with adding more protein. Eggs are cheap, and you can boil them and take with you as a snack.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    nuts, oils, peanut butter, drink calories (juice, milk), avoid diet and low fat versions of food, opt for the full fat full calorie versions.

I would also suggest less runs and such, unless you are training for an endurance event. It will take more cals to gain, the more you burn.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Just eat. You're young, don't worry too much about unhealthy foods. There isn't any unhealthy foods, just unhealthy diets. As in, stay within the saturated fat guidelines, and make sure you don't gain too fast. I'd cut down on the activity too, for a bit.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Food doesn't have to be expensive but what are you eating and are you lifting right now or do you need a program? If you are running then you will really need to up your calories to compensate but it's certainly doable. What are you goals in terms of fat and muscle gain?
  • mattchild
    Options
    If you want to gain muscle mass, then you need to eat. It doesn't have to be expensive, as long as you keep it simple. Eat lots of oats, rice, and potatoes for your carbs.
    Buy frozen chicken breasts (cheaper than fresh), canned tuna, eggs, and ground beef for your protein.
    Make sure you get at least one serving of fruit or vegetables with every meal. Again, buy frozen to save money.
    Don't worry about how many calories you get. Shoot for 4-6 meals a day at first (portion the size of your fist for each, carbs, protein, veggies/fruit) Once you can do that; then you can worry about details.
    Don't let your ego get the best of you in the gym, don't use bad form just so you can look stong. Keep up the cardio.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    mattchild wrote: »
    If you want to gain muscle mass, then you need to eat. It doesn't have to be expensive, as long as you keep it simple. Eat lots of oats, rice, and potatoes for your carbs.
    Buy frozen chicken breasts (cheaper than fresh), canned tuna, eggs, and ground beef for your protein.
    Make sure you get at least one serving of fruit or vegetables with every meal. Again, buy frozen to save money.
    Don't worry about how many calories you get. Shoot for 4-6 meals a day at first (portion the size of your fist for each, carbs, protein, veggies/fruit) Once you can do that; then you can worry about details.
    Don't let your ego get the best of you in the gym, don't use bad form just so you can look stong. Keep up the cardio.

This would be perfect for a cut, but the guy is a slim, young, very active person who can't eat much bulk and needs to get some high calorie and dense food in. He is burning more calories than he is eating and needs to make big changes, cardio needs to be reduced.

Also, meal frequency has gone out with the arc. You're talking South Beach Diet stuff. Not relevant to the OPs circumstances.

True about form in the gym though. Leave your ego at the door, until you know your shizzle of course!

• yuzza306
    yuzza306 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Would eating snacks in between meals help? Like nuts, grains, or just sandwiches that only take a few seconds to throw together? I can cut back on some of my cardio too, but most of it is unavoidable, such as work(where I'm always walking and standing for long periods of time).
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    yuzza306 wrote: »
    Would eating snacks in between meals help? Like nuts, grains, or just sandwiches that only take a few seconds to throw together? I can cut back on some of my cardio too, but most of it is unavoidable, such as work(where I'm always walking and standing for long periods of time).

Anything that gets you to a proper surplus helps.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    This. And with regards to snacking, if you eat more because you add a snack, then great. If you snack and then you don't want dinner because you're full, that won't help.

Meal timing doesn't matter. If you find you're undereating because you aren't hungry, focus on calorie dense foods: peanut butter, full fat dairy, etc. Balance things with lots of calories with your budget.

And don't shy away from "unhealthy" foods; as someone else said there aren't unhealthy foods if the overall diet is giving you enough nutrition. Add in cookies, ice cream, candy, or soda if you like it and if it helps you to your goal.
  • ricardo510diaz
    ricardo510diaz Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    If you find you're undereating because you aren't hungry, focus on calorie dense foods: peanut butter, full fat dairy, etc.

Strong this.