foot cramping

Options
Started insanity max 30 and had to stop at about 3 mins in, not because or my cardio, but because od a bad foot cramp. Is it a diet thing ? Or should i be doing the low impact ? Or am i just over thinking this

Replies

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Are you working out in running shoes? Do you have flat feet or high arches? You may need to get some cross-training/aerobics shoes. I get foot cramps from jumping jacks a lot - I've been rolling out my feet daily on soup cans, it sounds weird but it helps keep it to a minimum.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    When my feet cramp it feels like my toes are pointing in different directions. I get them if my foot is flexed in an unnatural position or I have pressure on the balls of my feet for too long. So- especially if I wear heels. (That's not a problem you would have though.) Sometimes from yoga. I tried a ballet inspired workout on SportSkool once and had to stop after like 5 minutes. I can feel it coming on and can stop what I'm doing, but I haven't found a way to actually prevent them. I usually have to stand on cold tile to make them go away. The rest of the time my feet are fine.

See if it happens the next time you do the same workout. Maybe you just tweaked it last time & have to be more careful of form.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Are you hydrating?
  • tearsz
    tearsz Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    Are you working out in running shoes? Do you have flat feet or high arches? You may need to get some cross-training/aerobics shoes. I get foot cramps from jumping jacks a lot - I've been rolling out my feet daily on soup cans, it sounds weird but it helps keep it to a minimum.

Sounds alot like me, although i was bare foot. It was of course during the jumping Jack's.
    Are you hydrating?

Yeah, i get lots of liquids everyday
  • alc212
    alc212 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Try magnesium and check you're getting enough sodium. Magnesium stops cramping for me.
  • sofaking6
    Options
    Since I've been rolling out my feet (sounds so weird) it has improved, but I still will sub for jumping jacks if I get a cramp. High knees, squat jumps, jog in place. Usually they'll go away fairly quickly. Pick your favorite exercise in the video and do that in place of jumping jacks.

We are probably deformed in the foot. So sad ;)
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I do a zumba class weekly and get them every single week, without fail. Usually for the first 20 minutes of the class, then they work themselves out. I don't get them from running, walking, eliptical, anything else but dance. I now use fitted arch supports but they didn't help. I'm going to try some pre-class stretches/flexes and see if they help. In sympathy...
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Overthinking, although if the cramping is happening all the time, work on getting your electros balanced. I'm in the middle of a huge potassium deficit, and it's unpleasant. Just dosed 10gr of potassium citrate this morning as an emergency stop gap.
  • tearsz
    Options
    Well after looking at my nutrition thing it shows im not gettinf very much potassium
  • dbmata
    Options
    Might be worth exploring.

You'll know you need those electros figured out when you're taking a piss and the muscles that hold your boys in place all cramp.

That was interesting.
  • sofaking6
    Options
    I dunno - like I said the foot cramp is every day for me, but charley horses are what tell me when my potassium is low and they come on within a couple of days if I stop my daily banana.

Although the foot is pretty close to the calf so WTF do I know!
  • tearsz
    Options
    That does not sound plesent in any way lol
  • sofaking6
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Might be worth exploring.

You'll know you need those electros figured out when you're taking a piss and the muscles that hold your boys in place all cramp.

That was interesting.

I'll take the charley horse.
  • dbmata
    Options
    <insert daily banana joke of choice.>
  • tearsz
    Options
    That was just a peeling.......

I know i know lol....
  • sofaking6