Anybody using DietBet for motivation?

Options
Kuusjuh
Kuusjuh Posts: 2 Member
edited February 2015 in Motivation and Support
I came across DietBet. You bet on yourself (real money) to lose weight. For example, 10% in 6 months. If you make it, you get at least your input money back.

I wonder if this would work as an extra kick in the butt....

Replies

• JodiSW
    JodiSW Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I just tried it...meaning joined a couple of games. So far it's made me think twice a couple of times before I put something in my mouth because I joined one of the long games and bet up front so it's a chunk of $. Feel free to friend me here or there if you want!
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I've completed a DietBet before. To me, longer bets make more sense. The short games I've seen rewarded gamey behavior, yo-yo'ing, and didn't pay out much. I'm doing a 9-month HealthyWage now! Larger stakes and a better payout. I also agree more with their philosophy that it's not a bet but something I commit to and if I do the work I win! Doing well, 3 months in! :)

• picklesandoj2014
    Options
    I'm doing Jillian Michaels spring dietbet right now. The community of people is amazingly supportive and encouraging! I'm really loving it so far. I wanted to try a small one first to see what I thought and since I like it I'm going to sign up for a long one once this finishes.
  • Sweetiepiestef
    Sweetiepiestef Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Never heard of this until now! SOUNDS AWESOME! :) I am going to look it up. Thanks for the tip.
  • lorigem
    lorigem Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I'm also signed up to Jillian Michael's dietbet. I've tried HealthyWage before as well...that was a major fail lol But not because the program didn't work, the long-term ones are easier to forget about. For me, short-term seems to be working more...
  • brenstar05
    brenstar05 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have done dietbet in the past, but similar to CA_Underdog's experience, I found lots of gaming happening. Even with myself. I didn't like the things I was doing to hit my numbers. So, I actually switched to GymPact, which is similar but focuses more on healthy activities rather than loss. You make a pact each week to do certain healthy things, like workouts or eating X number of vegetables each day, etc. If you don't meet your pact you pay in, but if you do, you get rewarded (it's very lopsided, however... for instance I have a weekly pact for 4 30+minute workouts, if I miss one, I pay $5. If I do all my workouts in a week, they usually pay out between $0.75-1.00). I think that whatever motivation helpers work for you, go for it! :smile: