Weight training, eating to a deficit and doing cardio.

Options
Is doing cardio a detriment to weight training? I've hear a few people say (in the gym) that they stay away from cardio when trying to build muscle as cardio takes it's energy from the muscle.

This does sound slightly off base to me. I suppose if you we very low in body fat, that might be the case, but for us regular folks who are eating to a caloric deficit daily, weight training and doing cardio to loose weight, it can't be a problem can it? Thanks.

Replies

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Doing cardio and weight training while you're eating at a deficit is fine. When people say that they cut out cardio when trying to build muscle, it's only because they're eating at a surplus and cardio further increases the number of calories they need to eat.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    Doing cardio and weight training while you're eating at a deficit is fine. When people say that they cut out cardio when trying to build muscle, it's only because they're eating at a surplus and cardio further increases the number of calories they need to eat.

Agree
  • rickloving
    rickloving Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Cardio is an efficient calorie burner.. when trying to build muscle mass, you need to be at a calorie surplus to maximize muscle repair/growth.

So, if your main goal is to build muscle mass, cardio isn't your best friend... how much/how little and the effects..hard to say...

Rick
  • blakeym
    blakeym Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Ahhhh......makes complete sense. In other words, carry on with what you're doing until you're at a point where it matters. Thanks.