First 1/2 Marathon Yesterday!

Options
Finished in 2:32:27.71, 298th out of 379. Interesting note: there were more 1/2 participants than 5k participants.

Weather was great, clear & sunny once the sun was up. Started in the upper 30's and warmed up from there. I met my personal agenda, of completing the first 10 miles by the 2 hour mark. I'd estimate the first 10 miles was 85% running/15walking and the opposite for the last few miles. No plans for another in the immediate future - but I do plan to run a couple of 5ks this spring and a 10k on the 4th of July.

Replies

• lrichelle
    lrichelle Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Congrats! That is a great accomplishment!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your first half! It is a huge accomplishment.
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
  • nickylee76
    nickylee76 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! Awesome job!! I have my first half in May. I am very excited.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    that's really awesome. congrats!
  • M1SS703
    M1SS703 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Well done!! :)
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    That's pretty sweet time for your first half. You did great!
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    congrats! If all goes as planned, I'll be running my first in November. I hope I do as well as you!
  • dlr165
    dlr165 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I am running my first one in May.
  • dlr165
    dlr165 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Can I ask some questions? How long was your longest run before the race? Was the recovery after running it, easy? If I don't eat enough carbs before my long runs, I am totally wiped out and have to take a nap. I am up to 9 miles. The plan I am following has my longest run as 13 but the week before I taper off.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I almost don't want to admit this: but my longest run previously was ~8 miles. Combination of running with some walking. Sometimes its too easy to stop when I intended to go further.

I started with a modified plan - was designed for 12 weeks running 5 days week. I repeated some weeks as I had 16 to train. Initially I was running 60-90 and walking 60-90, and over the first month or so went ot more and more running. And got to where I could run, comfortably, 1-2 miles at a time. Early was mostly treadmill and then the last 1-2 months most of my Sunday runs were outside. And once I was running more/walking less - I didn't feel like running 5x a week was working for me. Felt kind of dead/worn out trying to run 3-5 miles on back to back days. And had some weeks here & there where 'life' got in the way!

I did consistently go longer on Sundays. The past few weeks in general I made a point to get up earlier on Sundays (work schedule changed and I had to be in at 11:30am) to be able to go out and run. Also helped me learn to layer for different temperatures. I'd spend 1.5-2 hours outside the past few weeks each Sunday, and took it a little easier last week. I knew that race day dynamics would factor positively. And I was very confident I could finish out walking as needed.

I'm still recovering. Took it fairly easy yesterday afternoon - and have a desk job so no major exertion today. Still a little stiff/sore. In the hip area - on the leg where I had the most injury from a car accident 13 years ago. THat may factor in WHERE I'm stiff? Its similar to a new strength routine type soreness, and is better once I'm moving. So getting up = awkward but after a few steps its mostly normal.

As for food, I do try to listen to my body. I'm maintaining, and have upped my calories a little as I lost a few more pounds than intended. I ate like a horse yesterday LOL.
    dlr165 wrote: »
    Can I ask some questions? How long was your longest run before the race? Was the recovery after running it, easy? If I don't eat enough carbs before my long runs, I am totally wiped out and have to take a nap. I am up to 9 miles. The plan I am following has my longest run as 13 but the week before I taper off.

• arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! I think running some 5Ks and 10Ks before doing another half is a GREAT idea. You might find you do really well at those by racing them right now since you've built your endurance up.
  • catpea33
    catpea33 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Nice job!!!
  • gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!!
  • brendo204
    brendo204 Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    awesome well done!