starvation mode might be a myth

Options
13»

Replies

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    What does TL; DR mean?

And Selena, not having a go. But using paragraphs makes things so much easier to read and understand xx

Too long;didn't read. Abbreviated as TL;DR and then as "teal deer," usually with commonly found images of just that.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    What does TL; DR mean?

And Selena, not having a go. But using paragraphs makes things so much easier to read and understand xx

TL;DR means too long; didn't read.

Thanks. I think I'll be using that abbreviation a lot on these boards :open_mouth:

• Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    These days the "starvation mode" myth doesn't bug me so much as the mystical magical 1200 calories. It's as low as MFP will go, so it must be instantaneously lethal if we fall below it.

I have two female friends who are both small enough to function just fine on under a thousand calories. One's maintenance calorie level is something like 1100, yet every day I see threads that start with an OP saying some version of "I'm eating 1199 calories" and the first fifteen respondents going apoplectic and shouting the 1200 number.

No one would INSIST that they should only buy clothes made for people 5'5" or above, why the belief in the magical number 1200
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    No one would INSIST that they should only buy clothes made for people 5'5" or above, why the belief in the magical number 1200

Because there is nothing - NOTHING - that humans can't turn into a religious food fight.

• Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

Because there is nothing - NOTHING - that humans can't turn into a religious food fight.

haha, as far as options for holy wars go, I'd say "food fight" is far and away the best option.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    These days the "starvation mode" myth doesn't bug me so much as the mystical magical 1200 calories. It's as low as MFP will go, so it must be instantaneously lethal if we fall below it.

I have two female friends who are both small enough to function just fine on under a thousand calories. One's maintenance calorie level is something like 1100, yet every day I see threads that start with an OP saying some version of "I'm eating 1199 calories" and the first fifteen respondents going apoplectic and shouting the 1200 number.

The point is not to eat under your BMR, and 1200 is generally lower than most people's BMR. I have a difficult time believing that any adult maintains at 1100 calories. They could definitely be eating more than they realize.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    y is there so much confusion about weight loss :#
    s.
    y is there so much confusion about weight loss :#