cake made with soda

Options
Teresa_3266
Teresa_3266 Posts: 298 Member
My husband's grandkids are coming next month and they are highly allergic to eggs and nuts. I want to make a cake and I've read about using soda in place of eggs, oil, and water. Has anyone tried this? Is the cake fluffy enough? Should I make it in a cake pan or do cupcakes? Also thinking I might turn it into a poke cake with some jello.

Advice would be much welcomed!! :)

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I did this on Saturday! I liked it! I should have let it cool more when taking it out of the pan. It was nice and fluffy and moist but fell apart more easily. So if you can bake it and serve it in the same dish (like a 9x13 Pyrex pan or something), all is good. I was making birthday cake bread pudding anyway so it didn't matter that mine fell apart.

I used Betty Crocker Supermoist sprinkle cake and Sprite Zero. I've also done chocolate cake with Coke zero/diet Coke! Note, sugar free pudding makes a nice topping too, or light Cool Whip - relatively low calorie and still so tasty!
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I have made the angel food cake mix/pie filling cake, but I think the cake mix contains powdered egg whites. I used the angel food mix and lemon pie filling and they turned out like a lemon bar.
  • dirtyflirty30
    dirtyflirty30 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I can't speak to the allergen portion, but I've made Diet Coke cupcakes many times and they always come out perfectly.
  • judyadamo
    judyadamo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hungry girl does a pineapple upside down cake using seltzer. I tried it...very good!
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I make it all the time. Just substitute 10 oz. of any soda. Use a non-cola soda for lighter colored cakes. Ginger Ale works really well with a vanilla cake. The texture of the cake is much lighter and fluffier than a regular cake with oil and eggs. You can substitute with diet soda, too.

Recently, I experimented with a chocolate box cake mix and used only 5 oz. of diet coke and made drop cookies. Put them in the freezer and they are really good frozen.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I do this! My favorite combo is diet cream soda with yellow cake mix. Coke/Diet Coke and chocolate cake or brownie mix is a Southern classic.
  • LuckyStar813
    LuckyStar813 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Here is a recipe that uses a box cake mix with just pumpkin puree. The pumpkin replaces the eggs and oil. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/two-ingredient-pumpkin-cake/
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Here is a recipe that uses a box cake mix with just pumpkin puree. The pumpkin replaces the eggs and oil. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/two-ingredient-pumpkin-cake/

I've tried this. It tasted like every "diet" baked good product rolled into one. Not a fan. Throwing away cake was a sad, sad day, but I just couldn't get past that taste.

I guess there are people who swear by it, though.
  • ccesq73
    Options
    I've made it with yellow cake mix and diet orange soda. I use cool whip instead of frosting. It tastes like a creamsicle.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Stupid me thought you meant baking soda... My grandma used to dissolve it in a cup of yogurt before adding to the cake, it went all fizzy and fluffy, or you can use lemon juice to activate it instead. She did use oil though.
  • Teresa_3266
    Teresa_3266 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone! I'm thinking about a lemon cake mix, Sprite (not diet), and strawberry jello poured into it. Then I can frost it with whip topping and fresh sliced strawberries. It's for Easter, so I want it to be fresh and spring like, but not kill the grandkids. Ya know?? ;)
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    When I went to WW, the leader talked about this all the time. Just use a 12 oz can of diet soda and a box of cake mix. Mix up and bake as usual. She also brought in cake one time that she had used canned pumpkin in instead of the eggs and oil. I have also heard of using applesauce in place of the wet ingredients as well.
    My favorites are diet orange Crush with white cake mix and diet Coke with chocolate cake mix.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone! I'm thinking about a lemon cake mix, Sprite (not diet), and strawberry jello poured into it. Then I can frost it with whip topping and fresh sliced strawberries. It's for Easter, so I want it to be fresh and spring like, but not kill the grandkids. Ya know?? ;)

Just be careful with their allergies, you may want to double check with their parents. I have some severe allergies and I'm cautious about baked goods from others.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Another substitute is to use baby food prunes in place of the oil, I have used applesauce in place of the oil but I don't know if it replaces the eggs as well. I have made a cake with angel food cake mix and a can of crushed pineapple. You would have to check for allergens in the cake mix though.
  • Bukeelaka
    Options
    Ground flax or ground chia seeds mixed with water makes a decent egg replacer. I do that for my special friends :) Though this would only replace the eggs, you would still use oil & water as per the recipe.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    My wife makes a cake with Mountain Dew. The kids call it Crack Cake because they can't stop eating it. It was a normal item to serve during the party after a high school play, when all the kids would stay at our house for the night. Some of those same kids are still asking us about it, 6 years later.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

I've tried this. It tasted like every "diet" baked good product rolled into one. Not a fan. Throwing away cake was a sad, sad day, but I just couldn't get past that taste.

I guess there are people who swear by it, though.

Probably depends a lot on the mix you use.

I made one for a pot luck and doctored it up with an egg and enough lf buttermilk to thin out the batter. The point was not to make it low cal, but to make it with the ingredients I had on hand.

It was very good - not as good as from scratch, but better than the usual box cake. The whole thing flew out of the pan.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I remember having this cake when I was a kid. I remember it being OK.

But, I was the kid whose mother baked from scratch all of the time, and anything involving a box can't measure up.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    Options

This sounds really good! The only thing to check for is if the cake mix has powdered egg. Whip up your own whipped cream to perhaps?