Protein Goals

Options
Hey all.

I'm hoping someone here would be able to help me, even if it is just with a link to a resource. I know there is a recommended amount of protein that people should take in depending on their weight but for the life of me I can't remember it and can't seem to find it on here. Can anyone here point me in the right direction?

Right now I have my numbers set at 30%carbs/30%protein/40%fat. I do have to watch my protein levels due to a medication that I am on.

Thanks for your assistance.

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    It will vary based on individual circumstances (BF%, activity level, size of deficit etc), but a general rule of thumb is about 0.8g per lb body weight. If you are very lean then you probably should get more or significantly overweight, then you need less.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Why would you take generic direction on protein if you have to watch how much you take because of medication? What does your doctor want you to take for protein?

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/protein

http://www.webefit.com/Calculators/Calc_protein.html
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Why would you take generic direction on protein if you have to watch how much you take because of medication? What does your doctor want you to take for protein?

Good point. I missed that last sentence there.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,264 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

I do have a recommendation about the amount of protein I should be taking in on average. I simply also wanted to know where it fell when it came to common beliefs and forgot to ask my doctor about that but knew that this would be a good place for that specific information. Plus, I would also like to be educated when I speak to my doctor next about the impact that a lower protein level may have on my weight and fitness goals.

Based off of the .8g I should be getting about 192 which is quite higher then what my doctor suggested. Based off of the webefit calculator I am actually not that far off when it comes to strength training. It says 113 min and 120 max.

Also, the protein level is not set in stone. If I go over one day it's not going to kill me and I may never have an issue if I am lucky. But I figure making sure NOW to be safe is better then hoping later on.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I would go with your doctors recommendation on this one.