Need yummy Gluten/Dairy free LENTIL recipes! :)

Options
Im wanting to add lentils to my menu...I've never had them...lol..So I need some yummy suggestions. They have to be gluten and dairy free also ;)

Replies

• eapple87
    eapple87 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I use this recipe, not sure if it's gluten free. But I sub 4 cups of water for veggie stock because I find it adds flavour. I also add lots more spinach at the end.
    http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/13978/lentil-soup/

I like to make it on Monday and eat it throughout the week. It freezes nicely too.

I make my shepherds pie base from lentils using veggie stock, spices, a bay leaf, and a bit of tomato paste.

I'd also like to try out lentil sloppy joes. Thinking about cooking them in veggie stock with a no-beef bullion cube and some tomato paste.

Happy cooking, I really like lentils :)
  • thecraftinista
    thecraftinista Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I make curried lentil & chicken stew and serve it over spaghetti squash. It's really delicious and lot in calories and fat.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Curry, lentil loaf, lentil soup. Lentils are great.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Don't forget lentil chili! Lentil loaf is easy to make gluten free with gluten free oats or breadcrumbs. I also make lentil stew with lentils, veggie broth, onions, carrots, canned tomatoes, celery, and sweet potatoes.
  • drabbits3
    drabbits3 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    gosh, I just eat lentils mixed with wild rice or farro or barley. I love how they taste. even better cooked in veggie stock. Moosewood has a great lentil soup recipe that might be gluten free--onions, carrots, celery, lentils, stock, throw in some rice or other non-grain, or cubed potatoes--love it.
  • eapple87
    eapple87 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I add veggies to my lentils too, forgot to add that. It's like ground beef for someone like me who doesn't like to eat meat!
  • IAmAPearl
    IAmAPearl Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I make a big easy batch of lentil soup every week to use up that weeks veggies that are left over.
    I use brown lentils. Boil in a large pot of water, then add tons of veggies, cumin, salt, paprika, bullion, pepper, cilantro. I literally throw in ALL veggies I haven't used to clean up my fridge. Kale, spinach, zucchini, carrots, eggplant, pablano peppers, onion, tomato, corn.
    Its super easy and tastes great.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    My lunches this week are eggplant, zucchini and lentil curry. Browned onions in a spray of oil, add cubed eggplant and zucchini, then add 2 cans of chopped tomatoes and 2 cans of brown lentils (you could pre-soak dried ones overnight rather than use cans) with a dollop of minced garlic, a grate of ginger, and a generous amount of curry powder. It's very filling and yum!
  • kyoules
    kyoules Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I love lentil soup like you get in Middle Eastern restaurants, especially with lots of lemon. I found this recipe on Pinterest and have made it several times. It also freezes really well.
    http://www.marcussamuelsson.com/recipe/lemon-lentil-soup-recipe
  • FreakinFlabuless
    FreakinFlabuless Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I always have a can of Amy's Organic Lentil Soup in the pantry. It's the only kind that I like, and I've tried other brands.
  • a_candler
    a_candler Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I made lentil chili and froze in serving size containers. The curry sounds good think I'll have to check it out.
  • vha2
    vha2 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Lentil beetroot and feta salad :)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I just posted a few links on the vegetarian thread if you want to check them out!
  • Happymom83
    Happymom83 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!
  • rf1170
    rf1170 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    leave out the butter - I LOVE these yellow split peas, aka toor dal. this recipe is from SmittenKitchen.com.

Everyday Yellow Dal
    Adapted from Ruta Kahate via SFGate.com, 6/8/07

Serves 4

1 cup yellow split peas, soaked in cold water for 1 hour
    1 large tomato (about 8 ounces), cut into 8 wedges
    1/4 cup canola oil
    1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
    1 medium red onion, finely chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
    5 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
    1 teaspoon coriander seeds, finely ground
    3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne (I used 1/4, thought it was plenty, although I may be a wuss.)
    1/4 cup minced cilantro leaves (I abhor cilantro, and always replace it with flat-leaf parsley.)
    1 tablespoon unsalted butter
    1 teaspoon salt

Instructions: Drain the dal (split peas) and place in a large saucepan. Add the tomato and 3 cups of water and bring to a boil.

Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and cook until peas are tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Pick out any tomato skins and whisk dal to emulsify it. Keep warm over very low heat.

Heat the oil in a medium skillet over high heat. When the oil begins to smoke, add the cumin seeds, covering the pan with a lid or splatter screen. After the seeds have stopped sputtering, add the onion and saute over medium heat. About 3 minutes later, add the garlic and saute until most of the onion has turned dark brown, about 5 minutes altogether. Add the coriander, turmeric and cayenne, stir and pour mixture over the dal. Add the cilantro, butter and salt to the dal and simmer for another 5 minutes. Serve hot.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Soup is the easiest: Cover lentils with vegetable stock or water or water plus a bouillon cube, add a bit of garlic or chopped onion or both and boil until tender (should take about an hour). Add salt, pepper, vinegar and oil to taste, and you have a meal :)
    You can also add tomato juice while cooking, and/or carrot slices or whatever herbs you like.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Nameless protein pot I made at the parents' house...
    Add the following to a pot: lentils, salted water, onions, and limpish chopped carrots (nuke for a few minutes). Cook until lentils are done. Strain lentils, then add new salted water along with a bunch of tvp and liquid smoke and return to pot. Put back on stove. After tvp has sponged up water, add diced tomatoes. Done.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I tend to change my lentil soup every time I make it depending on what I have around, but here's a site I've used to find inspiration for lentil soup and other soup recipes. There are many other lentil-related recipes:

http://www.101cookbooks.com/ingredient/lentil
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I made a cabbage soup and to change it up this week I added a few tablespoons lentils and buckwheat.